The blasters of Star Wars: TFA discussion thread

Good eye. I totally didn't catch that that was where that image was cropped from. Yeah, I'm siding with MJF. While we know the ANH DL-44 has been more or less recreated for Han in TFA, that packaging is not TFA related. :p

--Jonah

Welp, I stand corrected. By the amount of merch/product art that has been looked at for TFA clues, and with that contrasting the other new DL-44 images, I thought it was relevant.

Probably something people already know, but looks like TIE pilots have an all/mostly black version of the pistol.

12006474_10153090163522344_3107144365492388037_o.jpg

JJ Apple - after his I-bridge in the new StarTrek remake, now I-troopers and I-weapons in SW.

And after 1 or 2 more movies of each he has the design "evolved" in a way he can merge the 2 to "Star Trek Wars". :lol

Hmm.. The TFA TIE fighter pilot's blaster does remind me of the blaster that came with the original Kenner TIE Fighter pilot's action figure back in the late '70s.
I could never find out which real prop (if any) that the action figure's blaster was supposed to represent ...

tiefigurecmp.jpg

I'm quite sure someone at Disney thought it would be easier to sell toys and props of b/w Nerf type TFA blasters than conversions of real guns like we see in OT

Except all the blasters we've seen so far from TFA are, in fact, based on real guns... except the stormtrooper BFG, which combines elements of the DLT-19 and T-21 blasters. The F-11D is a modified asterling design. The FO pistol is a Glock 17. The rebel pilot blaster is a Sig P226. The "rebel blaster" Finn carries at one point is based on a G36 variant.

Except all the blasters we've seen so far from TFA are, in fact, based on real guns... except the stormtrooper BFG, which combines elements of the DLT-19 and T-21 blasters. The F-11D is a modified asterling design. The FO pistol is a Glock 17. The rebel pilot blaster is a Sig P226. The "rebel blaster" Finn carries at one point is based on a G36 variant.

I was talking about the black and white paint apps on them. The OT blasters didn't have these "safe" colors. Make an AK-47 in b/w colors and you have a new TFA blaster :p

Coloring follows the current trend the military seems to be using with tan, green or camo painted guns to match the environment or uniform.

I was talking about the black and white paint apps on them. The OT blasters didn't have these "safe" colors. Make an AK-47 in b/w colors and you have a new TFA blaster :p

Ah, I see. I never thought of them as "safe" colors, I guess. It's clear that they are just connecting the weapons visually to the troopers. Other blasters are not in those colors, and Phasma's blaster is the same, only with a gunmetal look. I don't think they ever thought of them as being "safe" colors. The toy makers have a history of goofing with the colors anyway.

I love how most, if not all, of the new weapons from the movie use real weapons as their base. It truly makes it feel like the first film where everything was made from something else. It's awesome!

Ah, I see. I never thought of them as "safe" colors, I guess. It's clear that they are just connecting the weapons visually to the troopers. Other blasters are not in those colors, and Phasma's blaster is the same, only with a gunmetal look. I don't think they ever thought of them as being "safe" colors. The toy makers have a history of goofing with the colors anyway.

For prop replicas (more than simple toys) is much easier to sell worldwide if not looking like a real gun. Bright colored painting helps that as well especially as we know these blasters have been based in some measure of real guns too.

For prop replicas (more than simple toys) is much easier to sell worldwide if not looking like a real gun. Bright colored painting helps that as well especially as we know these blasters have been based in some measure of real guns too.

Maybe true, but again, I don't think that was the motivation. They still looks pretty gun-like, and toy makers often change the solors anyway. I have a bright orange "Han Solo Blaster" toy in my collection, made in the 90's.

Maybe true, but again, I don't think that was the motivation. They still looks pretty gun-like, and toy makers often change the solors anyway. I have a bright orange "Han Solo Blaster" toy in my collection, made in the 90's.

I'm not talking about toys.

I'm not talking about toys.

ok... Missed that. Does the color really make much of a difference? They still seem very "gun-like" to me. It's not a problem for me in this country, since guns are pretty much easier to get than a car here. :)

ok... Missed that. Does the color really make much of a difference? They still seem very "gun-like" to me. It's not a problem for me in this country, since guns are pretty much easier to get than a car here. :)

Not sure where you reside, but EFX said they won't tackle with blaster replicas due to the new gun laws all over the world.

Not sure where you reside, but EFX said they won't tackle with blaster replicas due to the new gun laws all over the world.

So apparently the colors DIDN'T help. ;) I live int eh USA, where we get free guns with our breakfast cereal. Yeah, I own guns. Quite a few. But they ARE easy to get.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back