The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

What's up, my duderinos? I found some cheap shades that seem to be a better fit than the previous ones I found, which were from the same company: Sunglasswarehouse.com. Here's a pic of the original shades from the movie. I found it posted by the owner in a movie prop collector group on Facebook a while back. Also shown is the shades currently offered by sunglass warehouse for a whopping $13.95. And I KNOW you all have at least four bucks - almost five. HA! So, fuckin' A man, here's the link for the "Hyde Park oversized aviator sunglasses and they are far out: Hyde Park

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2020-01-07-18-25-50.png
    SmartSelectImage_2020-01-07-18-25-50.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 393
  • SmartSelectImage_2020-01-07-18-32-24.png
    SmartSelectImage_2020-01-07-18-32-24.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 330
Hey guys, first time in this thread.
I wanted to add to my Dude apparel collection (I have a Westerly, purple V-neck and a couple of different pairs of the pants) and was looking at the Kaoru Betto baseball shirt. I've seen several replicas listed in various places and a few featured here but to my eyes none of them are accurate.
For one, they all seem to be off-white or cream with brown sleeves but to me the screen-used shirt doesn't look brown at all. Another thing I noticed is that the print on most replicas is way too big or the writing is too bold and the shirts are the wrong style. The real shirt is a 3/4 sleeve raglan rather than a full long sleeve shirt.
While the shirt is definitely off-white / tan / or just dyed to look very dirty, the sleeves look very purple or like bleached Navy Blue to me rather than the brown I always see in replicas.
View attachment 1096843View attachment 1096845

I found a 3/4 raglan baseball shirt in heather white and vintage purple that I thought looked very close but I couldn't find anyone who could screen print the image on without it being a huge run of shirts.
View attachment 1096847

In my search, I saw that Jeff Bridges wore the "same" shirt in at least two other movies before Lebowski but I do not think it's the exact same shirt.
Here it is the first time he's seen wearing this type of shirt. To me it looks Navy Blue (compared to his black hat) and white. The print is larger, bolder, and lower down with more blank space between the top of the letters and the neck line.
View attachment 1096848

Then here in the second movie he wears this shirt in (this might be the exact same shirt as the one above)
View attachment 1096849
Also appears to be Navy Blue and white (or MAYBE black and white. it's harder to tell since the sleeves are covered up) but the print is larger and lower like it is in the first movie.

Then finally in The Big Lebowski, the shirt was maybe bleached so that the Navy Blue is more purple? Or maybe it was dyed to be off white, making it look very old? But the print is smaller as a whole and sits much higher up on his chest than in the previous two movies, making me think it's the same TYPE of shirt but not the same exact one. There is an interview where Jeff says he got it out of his own closet so who knows.
View attachment 1096850

I finally settled on this one from TeePublic because it not only came in the correct 3/4 raglan, and came in Navy Blue and White, but the print is closer to the right size and position as the Lebowski version. I asked them about getting it on a customized shirt but they didn't respond. So I'll probably be experimenting with bleach to maybe turn it purple, and then washing it in some tea or coffee to darken the white and fade the print.
View attachment 1096851

Hmmm, I always thought they were the same shirt in all the movies. Just after years of wear the white had turned brown.

but when you compare the Lebowski shirt to the one in The Fisher King, etc..... the collar seems thicker in TBL.....

Hmmm, I always thought they were the same shirt in all the movies. Just after years of wear the white had turned brown.

but when you compare the Lebowski shirt to the one in The Fisher King, etc..... the collar seems thicker in TBL.....
Yeah it’s a different shirt 100%. The whole print is much smaller and higher up. It only goes down to his sternum in Lebowski and is t nearly as wide across.

Has anyone ever confirmed what size Jeff Bridges is wearing compared to his actual size?

I'm sure the sizing is different compared to a modern sweater versus the vintage one but I'm trying to find that perfect fit. I have a modern Westerley in M. Medium is what I normally wear but I do not like how it fits compared to how Lebowski's fit. I ordered the gray version in a Large and I like the fit ALOT more. The cuff matches wear it hits on Bridges, etc. But...... I'm also still not satisfied as it doesn't do the same shoulder pleats, or bunch up at the elbow the same which makes me almost think I should have an XL.

I'm worried that the modern sweater is a more generous cut than the vintage though.

So, I'm wondering if an XL in a vintage brown Westerley would fit me just like it does Jeff Bridges in the movie. I'm torn between a Large or an XL.

Anyone have experiences or experiments of fit especially with Vintage sweaters?

Last edited:
Men's vintage clothing usually runs smaller. For example all my vintage Large t-shirts fit more like Mediums. I have a XXL Westerley and after a few washes it has shrunk quite a bit. However I think it's might still be slightly too big, for me at least. Jeff Bridges is 6'1". His looks like a XL to me.

Far out man! How'd you make it?

It started when I found a whale song tape with the right title on the cassette itself: Song of the Whale. It was made in 1990 by Silver Bells Music. From there I started sourcing the different elements for the design and made a sketch. Some elements were taken directly from the Silver Bells tape like the logo and the backside text. It took some time to find a similar whale! My friend, who put together the final image file, said that the original whale was too blurry to lift from the screenshots.

I'm working on something similar for the The Dude's checkbook!

Last edited:
I guess there is something very whale-like about The Dude :lol::lol::lol:

That date has definitely let to some speculation and conspiracies...

I decided to use is as a date stamp on the Ralphs milk carton I'm working on. This sketch uses artwork already published here on theRPF, but it will be reworked for the final version :)

View attachment 1281979
Ha that's awesome! Will you be sharing your final version in the paper props section? Or just a project for yourself? Either way, super cool.

Hey new member here. Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry to have my first post be a question, but I feel like I've gone through this thread so many times looking for an answer, or like, an opinion, I can't see straight anymore.
I'm looking to purchase some Dude pants. I see Colores del Pueblo mentioned a lot, but I also see some Dude pants on Amazon for like half the price. Are the ones on Colores del Pueblo that much better? I certainly don't mind spending the extra money for a better product. Just curious what your opinions are. Thanks.

Hey new member here. Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry to have my first post be a question, but I feel like I've gone through this thread so many times looking for an answer, or like, an opinion, I can't see straight anymore.
I'm looking to purchase some Dude pants. I see Colores del Pueblo mentioned a lot, but I also see some Dude pants on Amazon for like half the price. Are the ones on Colores del Pueblo that much better? I certainly don't mind spending the extra money for a better product. Just curious what your opinions are. Thanks.
Colors de Pueblo much better. I have both. use the ones on Amazon and ebay for pajama bottoms. Also the Pueblo have front pockets I believe. That just like my opinion, man.

I guess there is something very whale-like about The Dude :lol::lol::lol:

That date has definitely let to some speculation and conspiracies...

I decided to use is as a date stamp on the Ralphs milk carton I'm working on. This sketch uses artwork already published here on theRPF, but it will be reworked for the final version :)

View attachment 1281979
LOL nice nod. I always imagined it was like one day expired or something (sep 10) which is why he opens it up to sniff it before buying it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back