The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Almost done with my Gutterballs outfit. As mentioned, I wasn't going screen accurate with all of it, but I was surprised to see (after the fact) that it looks like he is wearing a Klein tool pouch, much like the one I bought -- or at least close enough that even costume purists would need close inspection to tell the difference.

As mentioned, I'm faking the shoes just to fit the design of the ones I bought instead of going for screen accurate. Now that I've used leather paint, I'm a bit more confident in my skills and how it works. I'm going to look around for a vintage pair of bowling shoes closer to the movie version to do later down the road. I'll likely also paint on the size numbers rather than the vinyl stickers once I know what the size should be from the movie. I originally had my size of 11 on there, but the two 1s looked more like an artistic design rather than 11 so i opted for 10 so that it stands out more as a shoe size.

The tools are almost all plastic kids' toys, with the exception of the hammers (one is foam, the other is plastic), the safety goggles, and the measuring tape. I paid all of $20 for three packs of 6" tools, plus whatever it was for the toy drill. Painting and weathering added to all of the plastic tools except the drill and the three various pliers. The hammers had some weathering and touch-up paint added.

View media item 51956
View media item 51957
View media item 51950

Someone posted the Dude's screen used sunglasses in the Movie Props facebook group.
The Dudes hero sunglasses .jpg

Fantastic thread! I ordered one of the new Pendelton sweaters the other day and thought to see if someone had ID'd the rest of the Dude's clothes yet. I'll be sure to pick up a pair of clear jelly sandals and maybe those PJ pants (even if they aren't 100% accurate). It sure would be nice to have access to those screen-used clothes sets just to look at the tags ..

What brand of V-neck t-shirts is everyone using? I'm guessing they might have just got white and dyed them to the various colors he wears in the movie. I want to make sure I get one that has the fairly long V.

Last edited:
What brand of V-neck t-shirts is everyone using? I'm guessing they might have just got white and dyed them to there various colors he wears in the movie. I want to make sure I get one that has the fairly long V.

I'm using just a basic v-neck Hanes for the white shirt. I found a decent American Apparel purple one ("American Apparel Men Fine Jersey V-Neck T-Shirt") on Amazon that i was happy with for the color (just don't use Rit's de-colorizing dye with it; i found out the hard way and it ended up turning a shade of yellow, of all things!)

I'm just using a standard neck/collar grey t-shirt i've had for years for when I want to do the outfit during the fight before Donnie's death. Its broken-in neckline from years of natural aging wear looks better than if i went screen-accurate for the v-neck collar.

I'm using just a basic v-neck Hanes for the white shirt. I found a decent American Apparel purple one ("American Apparel Men Fine Jersey V-Neck T-Shirt") on Amazon that i was happy with for the color (just don't use Rit's de-colorizing dye with it; i found out the hard way and it ended up turning a shade of yellow, of all things!)
Thanks for the info. Actually I guess I missed the auction description for this outfit (and maybe it was already mentioned in this thread before) - it calls the shirt out as a dyed purple Jockey t-shirt:

"The costume consists of a dyed purple Jockey T-shirt and loose-fitting cotton pants with elastic waist and ankles with a distinctive southwestern pattern."​

Regarding the green hoodies - both of the ones pictured recently above look great. Is the Gap one the 'vintage soft full-zip hoodie' in jungle green? It looks like atleast in the photos it has the flat drawstrings. I gotta rewatch the movie to compare, but from the photos above it sure looks like a nearly perfect match.

Last question for tonight - I sent an inquiry to La Meduse about sizing for jelly sandals. Did most people end up getting the same size as their shoe size? Or slightly bigger (or smaller)? Just wondering how that ended up fitting, especially long-term after they might have worn in a bit.

Fantastic thread! I ordered one of the new Pendelton sweaters the other day and thought to see if someone had ID'd the rest of the Dude's clothes yet. I'll be sure to pick up a pair of clear jelly sandals and maybe those PJ pants (even if they aren't 100% accurate). It sure would be nice to have access to those screen-used clothes sets just to look at the tags ..

What brand of V-neck t-shirts is everyone using? I'm guessing they might have just got white and dyed them to the various colors he wears in the movie. I want to make sure I get one that has the fairly long V.

My purple one is Arizona Jean Co.
Grayish green, Dikotomy Co.
White, Target - goodfellow

Thanks for the info. Actually I guess I missed the auction description for this outfit (and maybe it was already mentioned in this thread before) - it calls the shirt out as a dyed purple Jockey t-shirt:

"The costume consists of a dyed purple Jockey T-shirt and loose-fitting cotton pants with elastic waist and ankles with a distinctive southwestern pattern."​

Regarding the green hoodies - both of the ones pictured recently above look great. Is the Gap one the 'vintage soft full-zip hoodie' in jungle green? It looks like atleast in the photos it has the flat drawstrings. I gotta rewatch the movie to compare, but from the photos above it sure looks like a nearly perfect match.

Last question for tonight - I sent an inquiry to La Meduse about sizing for jelly sandals. Did most people end up getting the same size as their shoe size? Or slightly bigger (or smaller)? Just wondering how that ended up fitting, especially long-term after they might have worn in a bit.

The hoodie in my pics is American Apparel. The screen used has round drawstrings, which this one came with, but they were white, along with the zipper. I colored them with Graffiti fabric markers.

As for the sandals, I got the ones off amazon by Chinese Laundry. I got size 10M, but the fit is more like a 9.

Hope that helps. I'll post a few more outfits soon. :cool:

La Meduse are euro size so you'll want to convert it to wherever you're from (assuming US, but UK also needs conversion). Their sizes are smaller than US, and also be sure that if you are getting women's size that you also convert to men's (i'm not sure if you want to convert from women's euro to women's US/UK first and then to men's US/UK, or convert to men's euro and then to men's US/UK). When i bought my first pair from eBay (not sure of brand, but likely La Meduse) the guy had converted incorrectly and they turned out to be at LEAST a size too small for me, likely two sizes too small.

They also don't stretch at all, having bought some shoe strechers and also tried to break them in by wearing them around the house, but I was always ending up with cuts and open sorts from where the straps dug into my flesh and could only wear them for about an hour at a time without injury. I've since replaced those with whatever brand lebowskifest.com is selling and those new ones fit perfectly (i'm 10.5 US and ordered 11 US).

Hope that helps!

La Meduse are euro size so you'll want to convert it to wherever you're from (assuming US, but UK also needs conversion). Their sizes are smaller than US, and also be sure that if you are getting women's size that you also convert to men's (i'm not sure if you want to convert from women's euro to women's US/UK first and then to men's US/UK, or convert to men's euro and then to men's US/UK). When i bought my first pair from eBay (not sure of brand, but likely La Meduse) the guy had converted incorrectly and they turned out to be at LEAST a size too small for me, likely two sizes too small.

They also don't stretch at all, having bought some shoe strechers and also tried to break them in by wearing them around the house, but I was always ending up with cuts and open sorts from where the straps dug into my flesh and could only wear them for about an hour at a time without injury. I've since replaced those with whatever brand lebowskifest.com is selling and those new ones fit perfectly (i'm 10.5 US and ordered 11 US).
Thanks for the info. I guess La Meduse is almost out of stock after all for new sandals. I saw their warning about that on their site, but it doesn't actually tell you they're out of stock until you try to add them to your cart. Too bad, since they supposedly had the original molds. Do they come up in clear very often on eBay?

Also - has anyone tried the ones from Dude Jellies? They look okay to me too, although they have a purplish glow (there is actually a YouTube review of them and they mention that purplish glow as well). I'm assuming the originals didn't do that. Lebowskifest seems to be out of stock, atleast at the moment .. although the photo there is identical to Dude Jellies. Are they actually the same sandals?

Never thought I would have the problem of finding jelly sandals in my size :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I guess La Meduse is almost out of stock after all for new sandals. I saw their warning about that on their site, but it doesn't actually tell you they're out of stock until you try to add them to your cart. Too bad, since they supposedly had the original molds. Do they come up in clear very often on eBay?

Also - has anyone tried the ones from Dude Jellies? They look okay to me too, although they have a purplish glow (there is actually a YouTube review of them and they mention that purplish glow as well). I'm assuming the originals didn't do that. Lebowskifest seems to be out of stock, atleast at the moment .. although the photo there is identical to Dude Jellies. Are they actually the same sandals?

Never thought I would have the problem of finding jelly sandals in my size :D

I looked into La Meduse and never had success as they were no longer selling the ones that were right for "the Dude".

By Dude Jellies, I'm assuming you mean the ones off Lebowskifest.com?
If that's what you mean, I'd be wary., Some have had no problems ordering from Lebowskifest.com but I did not. I ordered, and paid but never received the product. All emails returned. No responses off of facebook, etc. Had to get a PayPal refund. They said they were under new management and would fulfill all orders but that was during my entire PayPal case and they never once responded or sent the jellies. Not sure what's going on as they look like they have great product and others on this thread have had great success with them.

I've seen a few on amazon mentioned above "Chinese Laundry" and they look like they could work fine if you can order the right size.
Ordering your right size is tricky because from what I've found they're supposed to be female shoes. so male sizing as well as foreign male sizing can be darn tricky.

Last edited:
I haven't checked eBay in some time, so I'm not sure. I know the seller I originally bought from a few years ago no longer sells them, though.

And i totally know what you mean by trying to find some! I checked tons of beach shops along the WA and OR coast one summer and the only clear ones i found were for kids. All the places where I asked said they weren't popular enough to carry or they only carried for kids. Nobody knew where to check other than the stores I was already hitting on the trip. Being a size 10 1/2 Wide doesn't help... lol

By Dude Jellies, I'm assuming you mean the ones off Lebowskifest.com?
There is actually a site / company selling the jellies under the name 'Dude Jellies' - Home - Dude Jellies

The review video I mentioned for them can be found here -

The photo of the sandals on both Lebowskifest.com and DudeJellies.com is the same .. so perhaps there is some affiliation? Or maybe the 'new management' decided to split the jellies off to their own site? Who knows .. they look pretty good to me other than the purplish glow (and it looks like the originals had a clear or white buckle).

...Also - has anyone tried the ones from Dude Jellies? They look okay to me too, although they have a purplish glow (there is actually a YouTube review of them and they mention that purplish glow as well). I'm assuming the originals didn't do that. Lebowskifest seems to be out of stock, atleast at the moment .. although the photo there is identical to Dude Jellies. Are they actually the same sandals?
I ordered my first pair of Jellies from La Meduse back in 2011, and when they arrived I was a little surprised to see they had a bit of a purplish hue to them. Over time that faded and they became more clear, then our dog got hold of one of 'em and chewed one of the straps off. I can't remember where I got the replacement pair (evilBay, I think), but they were the same--initially a slight purplish hue that faded over time.

...Never thought I would have the problem of finding jelly sandals in my size :D
I know the feeling. They're surprisingly comfortable though. :cool:

Gutterballs Dude at ECCC 2019 yesterday. I didn't get as many people recognizing the outfit compared to when I wear the sweater or even the bowling shirt (someone even asked if I was Fix-It Felix), but the ones who did know the outfit loved it. I still have a few things to work on before SDCC, but overall I'm happy with how it all turned out. The tools, especially, fooled the security team several times and they wanted to go through the belt item by item until they saw the pattern of them being all plastic items and harmless. Once they peacebonded the large items (and put one big piece of tape around the entire tool pouch, I had no problems after that.

View media item 52012

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back