BruceGrayson21

So I just got a The Batman 2022 Cowl from gc5fx and it looks great. The only thing is, its not snug to my face on the sides at all (exposing my earlobes which looks goofy) and the chin piece is about 1-1.5 inches too low. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know how I can modify the cowl to have a removable core that holds it securly to the neck? GC5FX has done it in the instagram post here below, but im not sure how I should go about doing this myself.

So I just got a The Batman 2022 Cowl from gc5fx and it looks great. The only thing is, its not snug to my face on the sides at all (exposing my earlobes which looks goofy) and the chin piece is about 1-1.5 inches too low. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know how I can modify the cowl to have a removable core that holds it securly to the neck? GC5FX has done it in the instagram post here below, but im not sure how I should go about doing this myself.

I know Cosplay Chris bought two different sizes and swapped the chin straps

I haven't yet gotten my cowl from GC5X yet, but based on what Chris (Cosplay) did in the video and what Chris (GC5X) shows in the IG post, you would attach some elastic bands to either inside of the neck piece so that it snugs to YOUR neck size. If it were me, it would be contact cement and elastic on one side, and the same with velcro on the other side so you don't stretch out the elastic by putting the whole thing over your head multiple times.

I haven't yet gotten my cowl from GC5X yet, but based on what Chris (Cosplay) did in the video and what Chris (GC5X) shows in the IG post, you would attach some elastic bands to either inside of the neck piece so that it snugs to YOUR neck size. If it were me, it would be contact cement and elastic on one side, and the same with velcro on the other side so you don't stretch out the elastic by putting the whole thing over your head multiple times.
would rubber cement work as well or no?

would rubber cement work as well or no?
Yeah, same thing really. It gets called "paper cement", "rubber cement", "contact cement" - only slightly different consistencies between them. There are several YouTube videos showing how to use it with foam costume parts. (search "foam" + "cosplay" + "contact cement")

The CG5X cowl is urethane, so it should take to the rubber cement. The trick is applying thin layers of cement to the item being glued down and the area where it's getting glued TO, but waiting for the alcohol/ethanol to evaporate and dry. Not trying to stick two surfaces together with wet cement.

Once both sections are dried, they are very tacky and bond incredibly well to each other. The bonus being - it's a super strong hold, but not permanent. You can "roll" it all off later and start again.

Yeah, same thing really. It gets called "paper cement", "rubber cement", "contact cement" - only slightly different consistencies between them. There are several YouTube videos showing how to use it with foam costume parts. (search "foam" + "cosplay" + "contact cement")

The CG5X cowl is urethane, so it should take to the rubber cement. The trick is applying thin layers of cement to the item being glued down and the area where it's getting glued TO, but waiting for the alcohol/ethanol to evaporate and dry. Not trying to stick two surfaces together with wet cement.

Once both sections are dried, they are very tacky and bond incredibly well to each other. The bonus being - it's a super strong hold, but not permanent. You can "roll" it all off later and start again.
Thanks for the help. Do you think that there needs to be some attachment from the cowl to the top of the core piece in the bottom/middle, or the elastic from the neck will be enough to keep it all snug and secure?

Thanks for the help. Do you think that there needs to be some attachment from the cowl to the top of the core piece in the bottom/middle, or the elastic from the neck will be enough to keep it all snug and secure?
I'm going to wait to answer that until I have the cowl in hand. Some people line the inside of the head of the cowl with foam blocks contoured to their head. It does make sense that with the neck-piece being separate, and being "strapped snug", that the outer cowl should have some similar "fastening" aspect, I think Cosplay Chris addresses this at some point, but not sure what would work best. As we now know from the pics of the "sweepstakes cowls" from Blaidon, the "real" cowls were multiple head-pieces. But I don't think anyone's making them that way as replicas.

Attachments

• 275171753_689990619102826_7601836822022034125_n.jpg
    275171753_689990619102826_7601836822022034125_n.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 424
I'm going to wait to answer that until I have the cowl in hand. Some people line the inside of the head of the cowl with foam blocks contoured to their head. It does make sense that with the neck-piece being separate, and being "strapped snug", that the outer cowl should have some similar "fastening" aspect, I think Cosplay Chris addresses this at some point, but not sure what would work best. As we now know from the pics of the "sweepstakes cowls" from Blaidon, the "real" cowls were multiple head-pieces. But I don't think anyone's making them that way as replicas.
what ill probably do is, after installing a core piece that hugs the neck nice and snug, ill see about adding small magnets to the excess flaps in the font so they can snap back to the core piece

Hello! Sorry I'm late to the party, but wanted to come in and describe how I modified my Hernandez FX cowl to see if it would help anyone here. The cowl is absolutely wonderful and I love it, but again I had issues with the jaw section being too wide for my head. To be fair, I have a wack head in my noggin itself being quite large but my neck being thin. However, I was able to fix it in a few easy steps!

Here is the cowl on without any modification (with some paint, I weathered with some yellow oils in each crack, where the ears come out on the top, and the top seams from the ears; some grey over each of the cracks and scars in the cowl; and finally a brown over every seam of "sewing" which left a very good subtle result)...
Batman cowl fix - Imgur.jpg

As we can see, the bottom didnt really form to my neck and the sides were far too wide. So, I did the most sensible thing I could consider and cut off the central neck column. Upon doing this, I added some marine vinyl (attached with some CA glue) and velcro on the sides along with some soft side velcro on the inside of the cowl body neck so that it was now a velcro attachment.
Batman cowl fix - Imgur (1).jpg

Batman cowl fix - Imgur (2).jpg

After this finally I added in a small pad of foam at the back of the head to push my head forward just a small bit to help my eyes fit in more and also make it so that when I turned my head the cowl turned with it and it wasn't my head swimming in the cowl.
Batman cowl fix - Imgur (3).jpg

The cowl now goes on with a simple velcro closure that now pulls it in tight to my head and although it now dows fit very close to my neck....I think the final result is worth it. Here is a side-by-side with the left side being the before and the right side being the after!
Batman cowl fix - Imgur (4).jpg

Hope this helps!

Hello! Sorry I'm late to the party, but wanted to come in and describe how I modified my Hernandez FX cowl to see if it would help anyone here. The cowl is absolutely wonderful and I love it, but again I had issues with the jaw section being too wide for my head. To be fair, I have a wack head in my noggin itself being quite large but my neck being thin. However, I was able to fix it in a few easy steps!

Here is the cowl on without any modification (with some paint, I weathered with some yellow oils in each crack, where the ears come out on the top, and the top seams from the ears; some grey over each of the cracks and scars in the cowl; and finally a brown over every seam of "sewing" which left a very good subtle result)...
View attachment 1573204

As we can see, the bottom didnt really form to my neck and the sides were far too wide. So, I did the most sensible thing I could consider and cut off the central neck column. Upon doing this, I added some marine vinyl (attached with some CA glue) and velcro on the sides along with some soft side velcro on the inside of the cowl body neck so that it was now a velcro attachment.
View attachment 1573205
View attachment 1573206

After this finally I added in a small pad of foam at the back of the head to push my head forward just a small bit to help my eyes fit in more and also make it so that when I turned my head the cowl turned with it and it wasn't my head swimming in the cowl.
View attachment 1573207

The cowl now goes on with a simple velcro closure that now pulls it in tight to my head and although it now dows fit very close to my neck....I think the final result is worth it. Here is a side-by-side with the left side being the before and the right side being the after!
View attachment 1573208

Hope this helps!
Excellent fix! I've got a Hernandez FX cowl on the way, too, and will be doing a similar mod.
Rob

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back