The 8th Doctor's new costume - Night of the Doctor

Call me a stickler, but has anyone looked into the undershirt? The collar seems so small compared to your average dress shirt, so I've been wondering if it actually is a tuxedo shirt like his original costume. I don't own one to compare it with and I've never seen one unbuttoned so it's hard, IMO, to tell. In either case I've got a nice version of this costume going so if anyone needs more help finding parts, look for "Puttees" when you do your searches for gaiters, mine are PERFECT, but I found them specifically listed under that title. I also bought a buckle separate from an actual belt, so does anyone know the TYPE of belt I'd need to fasten it too? When looking for an actual name for it, most sites just call it a "insert name of buckle here" belt.
A reasonably wide spread collar white shirt would probably be near identical, and could be folded into a high necked tuxedo type shirt like the folds on his collar suggest. Have a look at Magnoli’s Karn Shirt for pictures of what I mean. I own a modern tuxedo shirt and the rear of the collar isn’t tall enough to fold back over the coat’s collar like that.

I found the snake belt I own being called a ‘British Army Parade Belt’, it seems identical except the belt itself is black plastic instead of brown leather, I’ll have it changed whenever I get round to it. I’m not sure how accurate the seller’s name for it is though.

A reasonably wide spread collar white shirt would probably be near identical, and could be folded into a high necked tuxedo type shirt like the folds on his collar suggest. Have a look at Magnoli’s Karn Shirt for pictures of what I mean. I own a modern tuxedo shirt and the rear of the collar isn’t tall enough to fold back over the coat’s collar like that.

I found the snake belt I own being called a ‘British Army Parade Belt’, it seems identical except the belt itself is black plastic instead of brown leather, I’ll have it changed whenever I get round to it. I’m not sure how accurate the seller’s name for it is though.

Yeah, in the search for my "gaiters" I found varying versions for multiple branches of military, before settling on what the seller called "Officer's Puttees." Mine were basically the same minus one hook and one slot for the laces. Thanks for the heads up on the tux shirt, I had a feeling the collar might not be tall enough, but actual verification from someone that owns one helps me rest a little easier. Fun fact before anyone nabs there's, go for an off-white, nabbed a four dollar white collar at goodwill, but I have a feeling my Wested Indiana Jones shirt will look better.

10501696_10152455047993196_570259576921477971_n.jpg 15794_10152456945428196_8189310358407724142_n.jpg

The gaiters were interesting to lace, this chap here (http://sparky042.livejournal.com/) had some useful images that helped out quite a bit, as mine were laced wrong by the seller, or at least, by the way McGann has them laced, it seems a bit more logical. These things didn't last long on the field from my research, and it's clear to see why.

Last edited:
Oh I love seeing all your fantastic 8th costumes!

On the original question about the colors of the coat,
this thread reminds me of an incident in a restaurant over the color of the napkins, when a waiter was sent to fetch some black napkins from the storage, and the dialogue between the two waiters went something like this:

1:There isn't any black napkins!
2: What? There's like two shelves full of them!
1: No, there were only these blue ones.
2:But those are the black ones!
1: No, these are definitely blue.
2: There's not even slightest hint of blue in them!
1: What, they are very clearly blue!

I thought the napkins were black, with a bluish/purple undertone, instead of greyish black or brownish black but definitely not even darkest navy blue.

People perceive colors differently, and some people manage to see more shades others can't tell apart. So my two cents is the jacket could be both, it's in the eye of the beholder :p

There's also the debate about the original 8th coat, whether it is green or brown... I want to believe it to be green, just because it makes more appealing costume, but it might be brown and just looks green after effects and such were added. But it would make sense if it were dark brown, to evolve to the new costume, which seems worn out dark brownish

Oh I love seeing all your fantastic 8th costumes!

On the original question about the colors of the coat,
this thread reminds me of an incident in a restaurant over the color of the napkins, when a waiter was sent to fetch some black napkins from the storage, and the dialogue between the two waiters went something like this:

1:There isn't any black napkins!
2: What? There's like two shelves full of them!
1: No, there were only these blue ones.
2:But those are the black ones!
1: No, these are definitely blue.
2: There's not even slightest hint of blue in them!
1: What, they are very clearly blue!

I thought the napkins were black, with a bluish/purple undertone, instead of greyish black or brownish black but definitely not even darkest navy blue.

People perceive colors differently, and some people manage to see more shades others can't tell apart. So my two cents is the jacket could be both, it's in the eye of the beholder :p

There's also the debate about the original 8th coat, whether it is green or brown... I want to believe it to be green, just because it makes more appealing costume, but it might be brown and just looks green after effects and such were added. But it would make sense if it were dark brown, to evolve to the new costume, which seems worn out dark brownish
Paul himself has said that both coats were dark green when asked by various fans at conventions, there's not really an argument any more that either are black or brown. It's difficult though to get the right shade of green when replicating the frock coat as there aren't any really good neutral pictures of the original outfits and as you said, people's perceptions of colour can differ.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet but if you look closely at Doctor Who Magazine #472's cover you can see a twill pattern to the coat's fabric, so most likely it is made of a wool gabardine.

As it's been stated, the jacket to this particular costume is ridiculously hard to figure out by looking at pictures. Luckily we've already gotten our definitive answer to the color of green. I myself have a hard time photographing my own costume and capturing the accurate "in-person" color. Cameras constantly make it look either blackish or Navy Blue.

Mine's a "Forecaster of Boston" coat, looks to be some sort of wool. I originally nabbed it at Goodwill for like $5 for an addition to my 11th doctor second series coat, but it does far more good for this costume.

In February at GallifreyOne in California, Paul McGann personally and directly confirmed that the 'Night of the Doctor' coat is green and made from Moleskin (presumably cotton), which is so much easier to find in the UK than in the States...

In February at GallifreyOne in California, Paul McGann personally and directly confirmed that the 'Night of the Doctor' coat is green and made from Moleskin (presumably cotton), which is so much easier to find in the UK than in the States...
I stand corrected. I originally thought it might be (post #72) but when my AbbyShot moleskin coat arrived I thought the the greatcoat fabric's pile made it look look slightly too fluffy/furry for McGann's frock coat to be made of the same stuff.

Does anybody have a close up of the pattern on the waistcoat? And pics of the waistcoat itself. I know this costume is now on display at the Experience in Cardiff.

Glad to hear it's on show, there isn't much reference material out there for the waistcoat at the moment.

A few months ago I decided that finding the original pattern would be near impossible (would love to be proven wrong though) and had a similar one made by my tailor. I got the material from puresilks, the waistcoat in Steve Rick's 8th Doctor blog uses a brocade from them too. All in all I'm pretty happy with the result, given the scarcity of good photos of the original.

Does anybody have a close up of the pattern on the waistcoat? And pics of the waistcoat itself. I know this costume is now on display at the Experience in Cardiff.
If you can tell me how to upload photos I have close ups from my trip there last month. Just not quite sure how to upload the photos for you.

If you can tell me how to upload photos I have close ups from my trip there last month. Just not quite sure how to upload the photos for you.
Make a post and click the insert image button above the text, then just find the pictures from your computer and upload the files.

Very nice!! There's an eBay store that sells the snake belt (I'll see if I can find it, but if not, do a Google search for civil war snake belt buckle and it should hook you up).

The boots I got/use are Justin lace-up Ropers, roughly ankle-high, but any non-brogue (smooth toe) will work. I got a pair of light brown Dickies work pants (which also double for my War Doctor trousers) at Wal-Mart.

Good luck with your outfit, congrats on the gaiters, and please keep us all posted!

I'm putting this costume together, and I just bought myself a snake buckle... but I have no idea how this works with a belt. Help?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back