The 8th Doctor's new costume - Night of the Doctor

Some examples

0.jpg0 (2).jpg0 (1).jpg$(KGrHqR,!mIFGrcbE0rZBRsd1nsfO!~~60_12.jpg

I was gonna offer a long, convoluted explanation about how my belt works with the buckle, but Zeppo just trumped my thousand words!

I've also bought just the buckle and I'll see how easy/difficult it is to modify it to function like a regular belt buckle. Will post any progress.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

So, my girlfriend is turning 30 tomorrow and she's having a big Sci-Fi themed birthday party, where costumes are STRONGLY encouraged.

That kind of put a but of a fire under me, as I really wanted to go as the 8th Doctor. So, with a little luck and some perseverance, here's what I've come up with.

My Costume.jpg

The coat is wool, and was found at a thrift shop. It was originally black, but I used (2 or 3) cans of green spray on fabric paint. I think it gives it that dirty and weathered look, while still being dark, dark green. It was also a bit big on me, but rather than have it tailored, I threw it in the dryer with a wet towel for an hour and a half. Shrunk to nearly the perfect size (I checked it every 30 minutes). The first time in the history of ever where the fact that wool shrinks worked to anyone's advantage :) It also help set the fabric paint and eliminate both the tacky feeling and the smell.

Rather than put any edging on the coat (I couldn't decide what colour it is - it looks like it's the same colour as the coat in most shots, but there's a couple where the light is hitting the sleeve, and the piece there looks brown or coppery coloured), I just did some top stitching all around the edge, to give it that look. I also stitched the pockets closed to help with how the coat hangs.

The pants are a pair of jeans that I dyed brown. They came out darker than I wanted, but figure they'll lighten up with repeated washings.

The waistcoat I've had for about 20 years. The shirt I also had, having bought it at a wardrobe sale years ago.

The scarf was bought at Ardene a few years ago.

The belt is a temporary fix until I get a proper snake buckle. It's just some bent coat hanger wire to create the approximate look.

The gaiters are vintage WWI that I found on eBay. The boots came from a thrift shop as well. They aren't quite right and are acting as a stand in until I find something better. They're also not as different in colour to the gaiters as they appear in the photo:

20150618_182824_Richtone(HDR).jpg

So yeah, there's my 8th Doctor so far. There will be tweaks here and there, but I'm fairly happy with it for now :)

Thanks! It's something I've been planning to do since Night of the Doctor was released (I did start this thread after all), and have been slowly hacking away at it. The need for a costume for the party really pushed me to get it finished.

I have been following this thread for a bit, and finally decided to get an account and join in (as I'm putting together a 8th Doctor costume based on THE NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR)

I have a question that I have not seen addressed here. In the short the Doctor has a silver braclet on his left hand. You can see it with some detail when he picks up the Ammo belt for the first time and can see it when he is drinking the glass.

Is this something the actor always wears or is it part of the Doctors Costume (and any background on what/why he wears it).

Apparently it was a gift from his son, there are some pictures of him wearing it at conventions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very close to completing this outfit. I just need the gaiters, belt, and shoes. The waistcoat is on order, and the buckle will be arriving tomorrow or Friday. I will eventually need to upgrade the coat, but the one I have will work for now.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back