PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had made a Palpatine-esque robe more than a decade ago from a Jedi robe pattern that I found freely on the Rebelscum forums (if I recall correctly) and had modified to what I thought made a handsome Emperor's robe. Unfortunately, I honestly had no idea what I was doing at the time and was rather unhappy with the results. I've stewed for the last 10+ years on what I would do differently if I were to do it again to make it more accurate to the RotJ look.

Being that RotJ's 40th is around the corner at the time of writing this (RotJ was my touted favorite Star Wars film for the longest time), it was only recently when Whiskey Emperor Palpatine thread popped up again, the photos/discussion that took place there really motivated me to make another one, working what was mentioned there into what I had gathered myself. Rather than just hi-jack that thread, I may as well post what I made here on my own.

This build spanned a week of intermittent work but I'm sure it was only just a day's worth of actual doing that tallied the final build time (a lot of it was me humming and hawing over details). A lot of what I referenced is in the previous thread, so go jump to that if you want more photo reference material to the real screen-used costume.

The robe itself is "kimono-cut," Jedi garb typically being inspired by Japanese clothing, meaning the sleeves and the main body of the garment is attached and typically cut from one single cloth. Palpatine's robe from the PT is like this, but the OT is put together from four panels: two back and two front panels. I didn't have a physical pattern to work from beyond what I memorized from before, so don't take the following photo as gospel to follow.

20230301_204938.jpg

The fabric is a black, cotton waffle-weave that I found on Etsy and I bought a total of 12 yards of the stuff (3.5 of it wasn't used, I may turn it into a proper bath robe for the wife) at 59 inches wide. The weave of the pattern itself is larger than the actual screen-used material but it was the closest I could find in the width that I thought would work for me.

Before any cutting was done, the material was pre-washed in tap-cold water and left to hang dry. This pre-shrinks the cloth (and the waffle pattern) and keeps it from distorting as it's worked. The robe needs to be washed again, exactly the same as the pre-wash, after it is fully assembled to "lock" the fabric and look in place as it relaxes and restructures itself during the washing and drying process around the seams and hems.

The above front panel cut was the first preliminary cut whole-cloth to be closest to what I figured McDiarmid's was. I'm a small and slight man (shorter than McDiarmid) and, having met him, I was pretty confident on how long the cut needed to be. I subsequently tweaked this a number of times to find the proper drape on me and that informed the other panels. Ultimately, I had to shorten the bottom of the robe and the height of the sleeve to look decent on me. The back panels, however, were kept longer than the front so to drag and drape more.

Palpatine's robe isn't just big, it's big for him. The costume was tailored to McDiarmid's size at the time of RotJ and that's what gives it distinctive look compared to the robes used in the PT. It can't just be copied onto me. For it to capture that RotJ look on me, I had to rescale the pattern and cut of the robe. I think this is a detail that a lot of replica robes tend to overlook, especially when it comes to the hood. It can't just be cut big and baggy; it has to look big and baggy to your body type.

There's also a number of little idiosyncrasies that make the RotJ robe, and here's just some of them:
  • The hood isn't just cut from a square of cloth and sewed onto the main garment, it is rounded from front-to-back, giving it that distinct v-cut in the waffle pattern at the top of the hood.
  • The RotJ look also has a long and narrow opening due to the lower and wider collar of the neck as opposed to how it is ideally cut and higher-sitting in the PT (it's also smaller than in the PT).
  • The sleeve isn't hemmed in the front but closed at the bottom, and then tucked inward and attached to the interior before it is bunched up with a strand of thread running the length of the forearm.
  • The front opening of the hood has a hem with an extension running a ways into the hood (I have mine sitting just atop my forehead), I believe this is to add some rigidity and stabilize the opening's shape.
  • The front closure of the robe should ride higher than the feet with the sides and back draped onto the floor. The bottom of the robe should not entirely end above the feet. This is something obviously done to keep the actor from tripping while moving.
While I aimed to make this as "stitch" accurate as possible to the screen-used RotJ costume, I do think I came up short in some areas. If I were to change a few things, I'd add 4-6 inches more to the length of the hood (2-3 more inches on either side), shortened the length of the sleeve so I would've had more material to have a larger hem for the front closure, and kept more material on the bottom of the robe so I could have a larger hem for the bottom. As it is, they're all inch length hems while the original seems to have hems (for the closure and bottom anyway) 5-6 inches from reference material.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the outcome and am certainly more proud of the results this time around than I was with my first attempt a decade ago. Here are some awkward, flipped cellphone selfies in a number of poses, chronologically ordered by film quotes. Can you figure them all?

20230314_162503.jpg
20230314_161757.jpg
20230314_153038.jpg
20230314_153905.jpg
20230314_155649.jpg
20230314_154051.jpg
20230314_162832.jpg

Oh, the brooch was made my me. Sculpted in Monster Clay, molded in silicon and cast in resin with bits of steel inside so I could use neodymium magnets instead of pins and a clasp. It covers the hook and eyelet that's actually holding the closure together.

Last edited:
I had made a Palpatine-esque robe more than a decade ago from a Jedi robe pattern that I found freely on the Rebelscum forums (if I recall correctly) and had modified to what I thought made a handsome Emperor's robe. Unfortunately, I honestly had no idea what I was doing at the time and was rather unhappy with the results. I've stewed for the last 10+ years on what I would do differently if I were to do it again to make it more accurate to the RotJ look.

Being that RotJ's 40th is around the corner at the time of writing this (RotJ was my touted favorite Star Wars film for the longest time), it was only recently when Whiskey Emperor Palpatine thread popped up again, the photos/discussion that took place there really motivated me to make another one, working what was mentioned there into what I had gathered myself. Rather than just hi-jack that thread, I may as well post what I made here on my own.

This build spanned a week of intermittent work but I'm sure it was only just a day's worth of actual doing that tallied the final build time (a lot of it was me humming and hawing over details). A lot of what I referenced is in the previous thread, so go jump to that if you want more photo reference material to the real screen-used costume.

The robe itself is "kimono-cut," Jedi garb typically being inspired by Japanese clothing, meaning the sleeves and the main body of the garment is attached and typically cut from one single cloth. Palpatine's robe from the PT is like this, but the OT is put together from four panels: two back and two front panels. I didn't have a physical pattern to work from beyond what I memorized from before, so don't take the following photo as gospel to follow.

View attachment 1679592

The fabric is a black, cotton waffle-weave that I found on Etsy and I bought a total of 12 yards of the stuff (3.5 of it wasn't used, I may turn it into a proper bath robe for the wife) at 59 inches wide. The weave of the pattern itself is larger than the actual screen-used material but it was the closest I could find in the width that I thought would work for me.

Before any cutting was done, the material was pre-washed in tap-cold water and left to hang dry. This pre-shrinks the cloth (and the waffle pattern) and keeps it from distorting as it's worked. The robe needs to be washed again, exactly the same as the pre-wash, after it is fully assembled to "lock" the fabric and look in place as it relaxes and restructures itself during the washing and drying process around the seams and hems.

The above front panel cut was the first preliminary cut whole-cloth to be closest to what I figured McDiarmid's was. I'm a small and slight man (shorter than McDiarmid) and, having met him, I was pretty confident on how long the cut needed to be. I subsequently tweaked this a number of times to find the proper drape on me and that informed the other panels. Ultimately, I had to shorten the bottom of the robe and the height of the sleeve to look decent on me. The back panels, however, were kept longer than the front so to drag and drape more.

Palpatine's robe isn't just big, it's big for him. The costume was tailored to McDiarmid's size at the time of RotJ and that's what gives it distinctive look compared to the robes used in the PT. It can't just be copied onto me. For it to capture that RotJ look on me, I had to rescale the pattern and cut of the robe. I think this is a detail that a lot of replica robes tend to overlook, especially when it comes to the hood. It can't just be cut big and baggy; it has to look big and baggy to your body type.

There's also a number of little idiosyncrasies that make the RotJ robe, and here's just some of them:
  • The hood isn't just cut from a square of cloth and sewed onto the main garment, it is rounded from front-to-back, giving it that distinct v-cut in the waffle pattern at the top of the hood.
  • The RotJ look also has a long and narrow opening due to the lower and wider collar of the neck as opposed to how it is ideally cut and higher-sitting in the PT (it's also smaller than in the PT).
  • The sleeve isn't hemmed in the front but closed at the bottom, and then tucked inward and attached to the interior before it is bunched up with a strand of thread running the length of the forearm.
  • The front opening of the hood has a hem with an extension running a ways into the hood (I have mine sitting just atop my forehead), I believe this is to add some rigidity and stabilize the opening's shape.
  • The front closure of the robe should ride higher than the feet with the sides and back draped onto the floor. The bottom of the robe should not entirely end above the feet. This is something obviously done to keep the actor from tripping while moving.
While I aimed to make this as "stitch" accurate as possible to the screen-used RotJ costume, I do think I came up short in some areas. If I were to change a few things, I'd add 4-6 inches more to the length of the hood (2-3 more inches on either side), shortened the length of the sleeve so I would've had more material to have a larger hem for the front closure, and kept more material on the bottom of the robe so I could have a larger hem for the bottom. As it is, they're all inch length hems while the original seems to have hems (for the closure and bottom anyway) 5-6 inches from reference material.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the outcome and am certainly more proud of the results this time around than I was with my first attempt a decade ago. Here are some awkward, flipped cellphone selfies in a number of poses, chronologically ordered by film quotes. Can you figure them all?

View attachment 1679614 View attachment 1679613 View attachment 1679609 View attachment 1679610View attachment 1679612 View attachment 1679611 View attachment 1679615

Oh, the brooch was made my me. Sculpted in Monster Clay, molded in silicon and cast in resin with bits of steel inside so I could use neodymium magnets instead of pins and a clasp. It covers the hook and eyelet that's actually holding the closure together.

well done GIF

Very nice work! I like your choice of fabric too. It looks very accurate.

Best I could get in the size. The waffle pattern is still bigger than the original's but I'm not interested in doing another one if I find an accurate substitute. If anything, the fabric is closer to the one in the PT than the OT and early on, I was considering just doing a PT version because of it.

Update: I stayed up all night to fix the hood to better, more accurate proportions after typing this thread up. Getting my feelings out into words made it unable for me to accept the way the hood was.

While I was typing you added another reply about upgrading the hood ... so I'm looking forward to any new pictures ... that said I was curious if you added another layer inside the hood ... for I always noticed a seamline on the front which suggested at least 2 layers of fabric sewn together :

EmperorRobe04 original.jpg

It's also quite noticeable in this picture on top :

013_zpstyj7xxll.jpg~original.jpg

So that's what I call double layered fabric that folds/extends inwards at least some 6 inches (15cm) before attached to the rest of the hood. Did you add another layer inside? Can't wait to see your upgraded hood now :)

Anyhow this is by far one of the best Emperor's Robes I've seen online ... even if the waffle is a tad bit to large ... so well done!

Chaïm

It looks like the hood has a front facing cut from a separate piece of fabric. This is similar to how Luke's ROTJ cloak hood was made though Luke's hood was cut as one piece. You can see for the Emperor's robe it was cut separately as the seam is visible along the edge and the 5-6" approximate facing is then blind hemmed to the inside of the hood.

Your robe looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished results. If you need fabric for the inner robes hit me up. I have a bunch in stock.

... that said I was curious if you added another layer inside the hood ... for I always noticed a seamline on the front which suggested at least 2 layers of fabric sewn together :

So that's what I call double layered fabric that folds/extends inwards at least some 6 inches (15cm) before attached to the rest of the hood. Did you add another layer inside? Can't wait to see your upgraded hood now :)

Anyhow this is by far one of the best Emperor's Robes I've seen online ... even if the waffle is a tad bit to large ... so well done!

Chaïm

Thanks for the kind words, Chaim! I'm not an expert at anything, let alone tailoring, so the types of hems and stitching terminology is beyond me, unlike Psab keel, but from what I gathered, the hood is like the rest of the garment in that it's a single layer for the most part. It's only partially doubled in the front with a facing lining the opening. I assumed it's to help keep the hood's shape and help seat it on the McDiarmid's face (and possibly help hide his ears). I can't tell if it's hemmed around the edge of the opening after as the seam pinches the fabric more noticeably as it gets thicker (like on my hood). A part of me thinks the facing has a small hem to it at the top of the head, and only the bottom where it connects to the hood are sewn to the robe. The exhibit photos show the facing able to skirt and flop from inside, and I don't see a seam around its edge at the middle of the hood if it were. On mine, I just use Fabri-Tac just to bind it without making more glaring seams.

Your robe looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished results. If you need fabric for the inner robes hit me up. I have a bunch in stock.

Thanks again, Psab! I was only really thinking on doing just the robe but it's not really complete without the robe he wears underneath is it? It's raw silk for the Emperor like Yoda's costume, isn't it?

New hood, old shi*.

Pretty happy with how this turned but, as with all my doings, there are a few sins that I'm unhappy with. I think I'd still make one change if I were to do it again---which I'm not---the facing inside the hood on this one I extended further back into the hood than my previous one, but I think I went too far. It would be perfect if it were 2" shorter than it is now. I'm also not all that thrilled with the stitching I did on neck join (something no one but me is gonna see), it's admittedly a lot sloppier than my first attempt. However, the actual stitching of the hood, I'm genuinely proud of. It drapes on the shoulders as close as I can get to the real thing, and the profile of the back of the hood is much improved. It sits closer to the head and doesn't bundle and bunch up like my last one did and is closer to being accurate to the real costume hood. Also, I realized I never posted a pic on how the back drapes.

20230320_154615.jpg
20230320_153000.jpg
20230320_154108.jpg

Thanks, Chaim. I'm still unsure about it, though. I think just two inches shorter on me would look better. I'm also wondering if it isn't attached at all inside the hood beyond the join at the neck. It doesn't look like it's hemmed at the front (like it is on mine) like I thought it was. It seems to be loose and can bundle forward on the head, hence why it bulges at one fold in the second photo on post #6. I also wonder if I didn't cut too much off the back now...

This is the only picture I have of the inside of the hood ... the way it is attached inside is what Psab keel mentioned a so-called 'blind' hem-stitch :

Emperor George Hood.jpg

For a long time I believed there were 3 or even 4 layers, so 2 pieces of fabric 1) the rest of the hood, with 6 inches extra fabric, folded at the front and going inwards and 2) the facing (extra 12 inches) just folded in half (6 inches) and stitched together at the front with 1) ... then going inside about 6 inches ... but looking at the inside the facing doesn't look to be double layered in thickness ... what do you think?

Chaïm

Last edited:
That's a cool picture of George. I've never seen it before. Interestingly the hood is flopped over inside out so you can't see the facing on the top of the hood.

New hood, old shi*.

Pretty happy with how this turned but, as with all my doings, there are a few sins that I'm unhappy with. I think I'd still make one change if I were to do it again---which I'm not---the facing inside the hood on this one I extended further back into the hood than my previous one, but I think I went too far. It would be perfect if it were 2" shorter than it is now. I'm also not all that thrilled with the stitching I did on neck join (something no one but me is gonna see), it's admittedly a lot sloppier than my first attempt. However, the actual stitching of the hood, I'm genuinely proud of. It drapes on the shoulders as close as I can get to the real thing, and the profile of the back of the hood is much improved. It sits closer to the head and doesn't bundle and bunch up like my last one did and is closer to being accurate to the real costume hood. Also, I realized I never posted a pic on how the back drapes.

View attachment 1681689 View attachment 1681687 View attachment 1681688
Looking good. You just need the yellow sith eyes and hundreds of years of wrinkles. I have to admit that I cheated and bought the robes at Disneyland.

For a long time I believed there were 3 or even 4 layers, so 2 pieces of fabric 1) the rest of the hood, with 6 inches extra fabric, folded at the front and going inwards and 2) the facing (extra 12 inches) just folded in half (6 inches) and stitched together at the front with 1) ... then going inside about 6 inches ... but looking at the inside the facing doesn't look to be double layered in thickness ... what do you think?

For a long time, too, I thought that the whole garment was double layered based on how it drapes and how heavy the fabric looked. After working with waffleweave, when you pre-wash it and let the fibers constrict, the fabric pulls itself tighter making it look a lot bulkier and thicker than it actually is. I was surprised at how breathable it is afterwards. I'm fairly certain the real costume is like that, too. The photo above makes me think that the hood is just two panels with a single facing inside. The sleeves are like this as well from what I can tell as it doesn't seem to be lined at all.

Looking good. You just need the yellow sith eyes and hundreds of years of wrinkles. I have to admit that I cheated and bought the robes at Disneyland.

Thanks, el toro! I've actually dabbled in make-up effects and one of my earliest attempts was doing a Palpatine prosthetic in silicone. It didn't turn out well at all as silicone was way too heavy for the amount I need to alter my face to looking like McDiarmid's (especially for the RotJ time period). I may just try it again in future in foam latex. I've seen the Disney option and it looks good for what it is, but as it is with this hobby, if you're looking for specifics, you're better off doing it yourself.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back