TFA Stormtrooper/Captain Phasma - Build Thread

Mitcheg1

So I've decided to tackle two costumes in one. My plan is to build an Episode 7 stormtooper first, then through modifications, turn it into Captain Phasma. I began by downloading the pep files for the Trooper from www.alientechstudio.com. I began with the helmet. The files appear to be very accurate, though lacking some of the fine details. I'll handle that later.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673097.589888.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673113.487761.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673123.822457.jpg

A couple of things I've learned in this process so far; I prefer working in cardstock over foam and I love Loctite superglue. Couple of details, loctite siperglue comes in two variants; Gel Control and Super Gel Control. Gel control sets in 5-10sec and is awesome for short connections that you want to bond quickly. Ultra Gel control sets in 20-25 sec and is better for longer runs that may require a bit of alignment.

In all the build is progressing well.

I'm working from a number of high res photos that were posted around the time of Celebration, as well as the Vanity Fair shot of Phasma.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673416.569523.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673426.269519.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673434.750845.jpg
There are some details I'm struggling to make out. There appears to be a feature on the outside of the upper arm but I can't find any shots that show this detail.

Finished the resin coat on the exterior of the helmet and applied a Rondo coat on the inside. I've now begun applying bondo to begin building out the shape. This is still a Work in Progress so alot more shaping and sanding to go, but I'm pretty pleased so far!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432676702.239922.jpg

Probably owe an update on this. So I've spent quite a bit of time working the structure to get the proportions accurate (I'm going for 501st approval on this and they are quite stringent on accuracy). I was fortunate enough to get some key dimensions of the official First Order Stormtrooper Hemet and have found that the pep file I've been working from is close but no cigar! The real helmet is much wider than the pep file I purchased (but it wasn't a bad starting point). I've put close to a gallon of bondo on this hemet to get it to the current point (probably sanded off a good portion as well). So here's where I'm at. I'm still trying to get this "perfect", but I'm looking for tips on how best to do that from the photo references I have. Any thoughts?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434647082.735586.jpg

I've made some good progress in the last couple of days (may not look like it, but the proportions are getting where they need to be)!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435538054.575511.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435538069.057895.jpg

I've decided to take a tip from the guys at Impact Props and use adhesive backed foam to build up details.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435538129.374541.jpg

Here's a link to IP's original youtube video
http://youtu.be/jXYBjvzztrY

I doubt it. I'm not terribly savvy with modifying pep files digitally, plus this is a locked file. There are others out now that also have the First Order TK Bucket. None are terribly accurate, but with a bit of time and alot of Bondo, you can get it there.

Despite working ALL weekend on my bucket, I didn't make as much progress as I had hoped. I did however get the beak removed and the base helmet ready for the hex mesh. I had a coworker 3D print the mesh for me and it came out great! Now I've got to get it placed just right. There are a lot of gaps at the bottom that I'm not happy with.

I had hoped to finish the goggles and tear drops, but that will have to wait. I am very pleased with the state of this bucket. A lot of detailing to do and a ton of smoothing and sanding.

This is just a rough placement of the beak to show what the mesh will look like.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439765641.499570.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439765652.461698.jpg

In order to add the hex mesh under the nose piece, I decided to cut the nose out and bondo the hole to create a base for the mesh.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439837352.108905.jpg

This created a challenge when I went to put the nose back in place as the curvatures didn't match. I decided to use chalk on the back of the nose piece to find the interferences.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439837507.441657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439837532.756545.jpg

This required a lot of check, sand, re-check, re-sand... In the end, I was very pleased how it worked out!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back