TFA Stormtrooper/Captain Phasma - Build Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Mitcheg1, May 26, 2015.

1. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

So I've decided to tackle two costumes in one. My plan is to build an Episode 7 stormtooper first, then through modifications, turn it into Captain Phasma. I began by downloading the pep files for the Trooper from www.alientechstudio.com. I began with the helmet. The files appear to be very accurate, though lacking some of the fine details. I'll handle that later.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673097.589888.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673113.487761.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673123.822457.jpg

A couple of things I've learned in this process so far; I prefer working in cardstock over foam and I love Loctite superglue. Couple of details, loctite siperglue comes in two variants; Gel Control and Super Gel Control. Gel control sets in 5-10sec and is awesome for short connections that you want to bond quickly. Ultra Gel control sets in 20-25 sec and is better for longer runs that may require a bit of alignment.

In all the build is progressing well.

oojammyflip and Metalman0711 like this.
  2. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I'm working from a number of high res photos that were posted around the time of Celebration, as well as the Vanity Fair shot of Phasma.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673416.569523.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673426.269519.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432673434.750845.jpg
    There are some details I'm struggling to make out. There appears to be a feature on the outside of the upper arm but I can't find any shots that show this detail.

3. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Finished the resin coat on the exterior of the helmet and applied a Rondo coat on the inside. I've now begun applying bondo to begin building out the shape. This is still a Work in Progress so alot more shaping and sanding to go, but I'm pretty pleased so far!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432676702.239922.jpg

4. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Spent a lot of time getting the form right! Pretty pleased so far!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433817018.911860.jpg

virateck likes this.
  5. virateck

virateck Active Member

Woh ! The shape is really good :)

6. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434077547.026042.jpg
    I think I've hot the basic structure as good as I'm gonna get it

virateck likes this.
  7. unforsaken

unforsaken New Member

Excellent work so far!

8. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Probably owe an update on this. So I've spent quite a bit of time working the structure to get the proportions accurate (I'm going for 501st approval on this and they are quite stringent on accuracy). I was fortunate enough to get some key dimensions of the official First Order Stormtrooper Hemet and have found that the pep file I've been working from is close but no cigar! The real helmet is much wider than the pep file I purchased (but it wasn't a bad starting point). I've put close to a gallon of bondo on this hemet to get it to the current point (probably sanded off a good portion as well). So here's where I'm at. I'm still trying to get this "perfect", but I'm looking for tips on how best to do that from the photo references I have. Any thoughts?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434647082.735586.jpg

9. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I've made some good progress in the last couple of days (may not look like it, but the proportions are getting where they need to be)!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435538054.575511.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435538069.057895.jpg

I've decided to take a tip from the guys at Impact Props and use adhesive backed foam to build up details.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435538129.374541.jpg

Here's a link to IP's original youtube video
    http://youtu.be/jXYBjvzztrY

unforsaken likes this.
  10. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Awesome work. Can these files work with foam?

11. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I doubt it. I'm not terribly savvy with modifying pep files digitally, plus this is a locked file. There are others out now that also have the First Order TK Bucket. None are terribly accurate, but with a bit of time and alot of Bondo, you can get it there.

oojammyflip likes this.
  12. virateck

virateck Active Member

Really good job !!!! :)

13. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Progress.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437449931.019711.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437449944.934404.jpg

unforsaken, CT7567 and virateck like this.
  14. Minniefaith24

Minniefaith24 New Member

What brand did you use for the resin coat and the bondo?

15. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Despite working ALL weekend on my bucket, I didn't make as much progress as I had hoped. I did however get the beak removed and the base helmet ready for the hex mesh. I had a coworker 3D print the mesh for me and it came out great! Now I've got to get it placed just right. There are a lot of gaps at the bottom that I'm not happy with.

I had hoped to finish the goggles and tear drops, but that will have to wait. I am very pleased with the state of this bucket. A lot of detailing to do and a ton of smoothing and sanding.

This is just a rough placement of the beak to show what the mesh will look like.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439765641.499570.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439765652.461698.jpg

16. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I use Bondo brand Resin and Body Filler. Can pick it up pretty much anywhere.

17. garymorris

garymorris New Member

:)Increadible!! what an awsome build

18. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

In order to add the hex mesh under the nose piece, I decided to cut the nose out and bondo the hole to create a base for the mesh.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439837352.108905.jpg

This created a challenge when I went to put the nose back in place as the curvatures didn't match. I decided to use chalk on the back of the nose piece to find the interferences.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439837507.441657.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439837532.756545.jpg

This required a lot of check, sand, re-check, re-sand... In the end, I was very pleased how it worked out!

19. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Looks like you really captured the shape of this , great work, look forward to seeing your progress

20. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Thanks! This has definitely been an exercise testing my patience (not a virtue of mine).

21. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Quick progress photo. I'm using carving tools to shape the visor. Still need to fine tune some things, but it's getting there.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440337457.549642.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440337442.803584.jpg

22. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

23. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441104509.021127.jpg
    Still more sanding to go
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441104526.304087.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441104535.320183.jpg

24. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work man, it looks better and better in every post you make, great job :)

25. jimmiroquai

jimmiroquai Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is a vast improvement from the pep! I know how hard it is to get the shape right. I had to turn the thing around in my hands all the time to see where i went wrong. I admire your patience working with bondo. I did learn a trick from my sculptor friend though: Instead of bondo, he uses plaster of paris. Much easier to sand and get smooth. May be useful for when you convert this to Phasma.

26. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

27. Minniefaith24

Minniefaith24 New Member

Are you going to build the body armor as well? If so are you using a pepakura file

28. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I have the armor all pep'd out already, but the bucket has consumed my time. So, yes, eventually!

29. Minniefaith24

Minniefaith24 New Member

Awesome! The bucket looks really good so far.
    Is AlienTechStudio the only place that has the armor files? I want to make the Captain Phasma armor

30. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I believe there are. You can check out the forums here or over on the 405th

31. NachyoChez

NachyoChez New Member

I'm looking at building a few sets of armor for some friends for Force Awakens premier (cutting it so very close on time!) and am probably going to go with the Alien Tech peps.
    If you've got a sec, mind if I ask a few questions?
    Just wondering if the site it trustworthy with payment info, and how well the body armor worked out?

Thanks, and the build looks great so far!

Minniefaith24 likes this.
  32. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I've had no issues with AlienTech. In fact when I had an issue with a detail I want added to the pep output, they accomodated. The file is not perfect and lacks a lot of detail, but not a bad place to start. Given your timeline, you'll need plenty of time and skill to pull it together! Good luck!

33. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Tonight's progress
    [​IMG]

dejordzta likes this.
  34. jimmiroquai

jimmiroquai Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome! If i may make one tiny suggestion: Screen used helmets had the brow sticking out some ( at least on those on display at celebration). Anovos helmets had them flush.

35. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Great feedback! I'll consider adding that! I really want to capture the details of the screen used bucket. Please keep feedback coming! That's why I've posted this here.

36. NachyoChez

NachyoChez New Member

Thanks for the feedback on alien tech. Ordered and received my pdo for the helmet, and it looks like a good take.

Of course, hours later I found the full armor and helmet free from another forum member; weird that it wasn't coming up on any searches.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.p...rmour COMPLETE (Force Awakening) by Fisherk2

I'll be following your work closely, and possibly starting up my own thread so as not to hijack yours when I get started.

Have you started looking at boots and gloves? I'm thinking the older extreme racing gloves still work with a bit of bleach and dye, but it looks like boots will be covered by the new suit entirely?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

37. kev1969

kev1969 Well-Known Member

What a great build :thumbsup, youve realy done a fab job on this cant wait to see this finished, subscribed :)

Mitcheg1 likes this.
  38. RedForty

RedForty New Member

Mitcheg1

That's awesome! I have one question: What are you using for the mesh inside the mouth section? It looks rigid enough to withstand some abuse.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  39. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

It was 3D printed in PLA, and I am putting a light coat of resin over the top. This should help round out the sharp corners and fill gaps to facilitate casting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Dtrasler likes this.
  40. 5xxicemanxx5

5xxicemanxx5 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yea man that's coming out real sharp awesome work

41. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Will the sanding ever end?!?! Still cleaning up the mesh, but I think it's looking much better!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. Sewbacca

Sewbacca Well-Known Member

Crazy skill! Looks awesome and Thanks for sharing.

43. RedForty

RedForty New Member

Looking great, dude! Another quick question: What grit sandpaper are you using to get your lid that shiny? Just curious as I'm going through the same process.

44. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

400/600/1500 i applied primer and then wet sanded once is was dry to touch.

45. virateck

virateck Active Member

Awesome work !!! :)

46. Zanderonline

Zanderonline New Member

Watching with much interest. Great work.

47. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

I think this might be my last primer coat!!! Fine sanding tomorrow and I should be ready for casting!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dejordzta, Yrien and virateck like this.
  48. bobafettroxx

bobafettroxx New Member

Who's is doing your Chroming Process? I am looking for someone to chrome all parts when I have it done/sanded.

Could you provide any info for that and cost involved also? Thanks again.

49. Mitcheg1

Mitcheg1 Active Member

Haven't begun to contemplate Phasma just yet. Still focused on getting my First Order TK done first. I'll post more as I move on though! Keep watching!

JJ Griffin likes this.
  50. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Will you be molding/casting these, mate~?