TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

So, on second viewing I really watched for this and...

both Rey and Finn ignite the saber using the red button the first time they do it, so someone on set is telling them that's what to do.

the visual dictionary is great, I also have the incredible cross sections book on order, does anyone know if there's a Lightsaber picture in there?

I'm guessing this is because they used some kind of FX saber on set to make more realistic lighting effects. That's a pretty standard place to put the activation button on FX sabers.

I made a picture today at my 3rd screening of the saber in the box:

View attachment 568772

I believe those are rivets.

Lol. I saw flat headed hex. Also, did you notice how the grips are long in that shot? Also, long knurled button which makes
me think Graflex inc with patent. Not that Graflex was always consistent.

Those grips are short at the bottom.

Excuse me if this has been posted before but this is the first time ive seen it.

knights-of-ren.jpg

On the other hand...we now know that shot is a flashback to
the burning of Luke's Jedi Academy and Luke's exile
, so it's far from improbable that that actually is Luke's ROTJ saber.

the only graflex I saw on film with long grips was the one in the snow when Rey and kylo are trying to force pull it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not being a big fan of the prequel trilogy sabers I was talking to my friend last night about he grips and them being short

he replied that anikans saber from ROTS had the same short grips

I just googled and sure enough short grips, I was curious if anyone had a master replica of fx saber and could get me the measurement.

not of the grip but of the distance from the bottom of the saber to the edge of the grip

I want to apply that to the graflex to see if it looks right

I am just guessing by eye but I'm thinking 3/16"

not being a big fan of the prequel trilogy sabers I was talking to my friend last night about he grips and them being short

he replied that anikans saber from ROTS had the same short grips

I just googled and sure enough short grips, I was curious if anyone had a master replica of fx saber and could get me the measurement.

not of the grip but of the distance from the bottom of the saber to the edge of the grip

I want to apply that to the graflex to see if it looks right

I am just guessing by eye but I'm thinking 3/16"

I measure 6mm.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest I really dislike the short grips. I'll fashion my TFA off of the long grip saber. Curious to see if we'll get a shot of the sabers bottom.

I asked John Knoll at Star Wars Celebration II and he told me they used fluorescent tubes. I asked him how were they powered and he said there was a wire running through the costumes. This makes sense to me. MR sabers had barely come out. So that was the tech at the time they used. He did pause for a while trying to remember what they used. Since it was probably a year ago they filmed that scene. It was only used for that scene. I assume they achieved the color using colored gels or colored tubes on set. Since to my knowledge fluorescent tubes only come in white. I see sometimes MR sabers being mistakenly attributed as what was used in this scene.

That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

the only graflex I saw on film with long grips was the one in the snow when Rey and kylo are trying to force pull it

Those grips are short at the bottom.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450854560.761150.jpg

I lightened up the picture a bit.

I see long grips on this hero version (to my relief as well). They go all the way to the D-ring at the end. Do you guys see that differently?

Last edited:

View attachment 568950

I lightened up the picture a bit.

I see long grips on this hero version (to my relief as well). They go all the way to the D-ring at the end. Do you guys see that differently?

That pic clearly shows that the grips do NOT go all the way to the end. In fact they look to be about 1/8" from the end as well as about 1/8" (or a hair less) away from the clamp.

That pic clearly shows that the grips do NOT go all the way to the end. In fact they look to be about 1/8" from the end as well as about 1/8" (or a hair less) away from the clamp.

The metal reflection at the bottom seems like the reflection of the D-ring. You can tell by the highlight in curve of the ring.So indeed the T-tracks end perhaps 2-3 mm from the bottom (like you say a bit less than 1/8") but not like the 6 mm (1/4") mentioned on Anakin's ROTS MR version. So I wouldn't call these short grips. Anyway..it's hard to tell.

It is good to see that the clamp-covering material is indeed similar to the prop in the visual dictionary and on the Launch Bay props. I'll be on a hunt to offer these on my webshop! I wonder how the clamp-grooves have been embossed/engraved/cut. They look extremly sharp and crisp.

Mine ain't perfect. I might tweak a couple of things, but overall it's great.

I love having the best Graflex at the theatre knowing years of research amid junk parts paid off! Quite a few people wanted permission from me to take pics of it and actually hold it.

That was flattering as it gets, and even if my version gets corrected to a fault, I won't care.

Solid memories.

20151007_165100.jpg20151007_165129.jpg

Last edited:

The metal reflection at the bottom seems like the reflection of the D-ring. You can tell by the highlight in curve of the ring.So indeed the T-tracks end perhaps 2-3 mm from the bottom (like you say a bit less than 1/8") but not like the 6 mm (1/4") mentioned on Anakin's ROTS MR version. So I wouldn't call these short grips. Anyway..it's hard to tell.

It is good to see that the clamp-covering material is indeed similar to the prop in the visual dictionary and on the Launch Bay props. I'll be on a hunt to offer these on my webshop! I wonder how the clamp-grooves have been embossed/engraved/cut. They look extremly sharp and crisp.

It is possible they used a wider metal tape similar to what is used on HVAC ducts. I have a roll of this I have been playing with in my builds, and I think you could get near identical grooves overlaying this on the clamp, smoothing it in and trimming the edges.

It is possible they used a wider metal tape similar to what is used on HVAC ducts. I have a roll of this I have been playing with in my builds, and I think you could get near identical grooves overlaying this on the clamp, smoothing it in and trimming the edges.

I don't think they used this kind of solution. The material they used seems to be a lot thicker. This was discussed before and you can tell from the exhibited prop that it tends to unwrap from tension in the sheet material. see post #1127:

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/TFA - GRAFLEX-01A_zpsfu4bl0vf.jpg
(Picture Courtesy OnFire5210)

A sheet metal or a polyester foil is more likely to be used. Also: the aluminium tape you mention would also show the GRAFLEX logo underneath. And third: the color resembles more a yellowish nickle rather than a bright aluminium look. It could be a way to make a replica, but I'd rather use something thicker.

We've seen the clamp material on display pieces. But in the movie, I bet they just digitally erased "Graflex." The clamp covering doesn't look like it would hold up to a lot of handling. And the clamp looks no thicker onscreen.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back