Terminator Salvation - Was it really that bad?

If you guys want to watch it and have it make sense. Marcus is from the future being sent back with future technology files. He has been back numerous times which is why we see a dead Marcus on the table early on, then big explosion, then new Marcus that night. He is programmed to follow any infiltration side missions that may arise but his end goal is to upload information to Skynet, in fact we see him still do this in the final cut.
This is why the machines have advanced 25 years in such little time.

The story and character development were ripped apart for big boom explosions and an idiot viewing audience that needs everything explained to them. Thats just how the powers that be look at asses in the seats. TS would work if the story was back in and it wasnt so dumbed down.

I thought it was a great movie, with a nice twist on the storyline.Terminator Salvation is the first in a new trilogy, almost separate from the originals. That should be kept in mind when you watch it or any new Terminator movies coming out.

My only problem was how did skynet know about kyle reese?

Marcus knows its him, Marcus is a hybrid machine, he unkowingly lets out a signal. This is also seen later in the film when he exposes himself to a Skynet sentry that allows him to pass. Machines such as the hyrdrobot dont have this link up capability as they are intended as a free roaming death to all moving things machine. The signal is also in the original script where Marcus meets with another hybrid that tells him about the signal.

My only problem was how did skynet know about kyle reese? Other than that, I didntbthink it was that bad.

Probably Resistance chatter. John Connor had to have talked to a few people about his past, as Skynet knew John's mother's name was Sarah Connor (to which they only had bits and pieces of info about in the first film). He probably mentioned Kyle Reese, but didn't mention how he fit into the whole scheme of things (which is why they didn't just kill Kyle right off the bat, thus killing John's father before he could meet Sarah Connor). So, since they knew Kyle Reese was a person of importance to John Connor, they used him to lure John to the HQ. It's really that simple.

If you guys want to watch it and have it make sense. Marcus is from the future being sent back with future technology files. He has been back numerous times which is why we see a dead Marcus on the table early on, then big explosion, then new Marcus that night. He is programmed to follow any infiltration side missions that may arise but his end goal is to upload information to Skynet, in fact we see him still do this in the final cut.

The story and character development were ripped apart for big boom explosions and an idiot viewing audience that needs everything explained to them. Thats just how the powers that be look at asses in the seats. TS would work if the story was back in and it wasnt so dumbed down.

Thanks for the context RS, that was an interesting read.

I thought it was a great apology for T3. The CGI Arnold was sweet and the scene where they drop a train axle on a terminator was even better. T3 is definitly material that belongs on a list of movies that should have never been made.

Where did you get this info?

I wasn't expecting much and when I saw it, I was reasonably surprised that I enjoyed it. I don't think it's a great film or anything though.

Listen to Rob - he knows his stuff...

Whilst I wouldn't use the word bad, I felt that McG's ego
went too far in trying to stamp some kind of new look
on the terminator universe.

The Transformer / Harvester things and the noises were unneccesary.
The camp thing of humans standing in like a bus que was just
unthreatening. It should have been instant death and bloodshed.
Also, the design of the skynet building was wrong, it was too
acomodating for humans.

I think James Cameron summed it up best when he said that
he enjoyed it but he felt it was more like a fan film than
an actual terminator movie (expensive fan film mind)

I caught the pilot of "Falling Skies" last month and I really
felt like the look and feel of that had a much more Terminator
esque environment.

I would also recommend anyone who's interested check out the unused script called Terminator 4 (think it was Tedi sarafian's).

Has a great scene on a rapper's boat (think 50 Cent) facing off against the terminator.
which Arnold would have played perfectly.
Also has the plane crashing into LA scene that was deep sixed because of (yawn) terrrorists.

No matter how you slice it, as a stand alone film it was not very good. It was rather bland, long and you really dont know what they are doing and why are they doing what they are doing.

I went into this movie very open minded thinking of it as a new chapter of the Terminator franchise. It just seemed like a setup for a sequel. Sorry if this upsets anyone but these are my feelings....and I own them. :angry

EXACTLY, the characters were seemingly aimless and on rails. Why is Marcus drawn to push and go north? Why is technology so advanced? Why is Kate preggers yet its not mentioned and its even sort of done away with and why? Why are all those construction machines rolling around Skynet?.... The list goes on and on. Its all story removed. Salvation works with the story in place and Kate's preggers is important as its John Connor Jr who is the actual "savior". John (Bale) Connor was just the sperm donor.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back