Terminator Salvation - Was it really that bad?

IT was so bad that when T3 was on TV recently I found myself thinking: "Hmm, at least this isn't as bad as Salvation"

Personally I'd rather have had more Sarah Connor Chronicles than Salvation

IT was so bad that when T3 was on TV recently I found myself thinking: "Hmm, at least this isn't as bad as Salvation"

Personally I'd rather have had more Sarah Connor Chronicles than Salvation
The only thing TSCC had going for it was Summer Glau.....all else was insubstantial, retreaded claptrap.

Rich

Kate's preggers is important as its John Connor Jr who is the actual "savior". John (Bale) Connor was just the sperm donor.

Don't you think that's kind of a slap in the face to 25 years of Terminator mythology? I'm very glad that's not in there. John Connor is who we've been rooting for all this time, not his till now unheard of offspring.

Nobody ever said it was anyone BUT John Connor, its never said Jr, Sr, Uncle, or the paper boy. It only furthers the story. Even more so that JC Jr would be JC Sr's age from T2 if the T4 story were to hold up. Besides, the Terminator mythology has been a mess up till the potential story arch of the lost T4 that could have been. It had the potential to bring all the prior films together if T5 would have happened with the T4 story in place. It gets as confusing as the Terminator universe itself trying to explain it but, I guess some people liked the explosions and ET bike scene.

Nobody ever said it was anyone BUT John Connor, its never said Jr, Sr, Uncle, or the paper boy. It only furthers the story. Even more so that JC Jr would be JC Sr's age from T2 if the T4 story were to hold up. Besides, the Terminator mythology has been a mess up till the potential story arch of the lost T4 that could have been. It had the potential to bring all the prior films together if T5 would have happened with the T4 story in place. It gets as confusing as the Terminator universe itself trying to explain it but, I guess some people liked the explosions and ET bike scene.

The Terminator mythology has been a mess since they made T3 :lol

Rob, so you are saying it is like Star Wars. Anakin was to bring peace to the galaxy a la his son Luke. Hmmm interesting idea you have there.

Cue the old man emoticon...................:darnkids

Its not my idea, its the story thats missing from Salvation itself. Anakin was made to be *****, John Connor Jr is just JC Jr. The path has been layed out, he has no choice but to follow for survival.

He's just a classic hero. Doesn't want to do it but 'who else'?

Just like George Washington. He would have been killed, did it anyway, lost every battle, but won the war.

To the film's credit, the short scene showing the extermination camp was pretty damn good. Its almost exactly how I imagined it when Kyle spoke about it in T1.

Its the one thing I enjoyed about this film.

Its not my idea, its the story thats missing from Salvation itself. Anakin was made to be *****, John Connor Jr is just JC Jr. The path has been layed out, he has no choice but to follow for survival.

Savior of humanity John Connor...JC...***** ******. I never got that before...wow I'm the worst English major EVER.

The problem is that the Terminator timeline went all goofy after the first film, even the events in the second one altered how it would happen. Sadly 3 and salvation pretty much just crappy on any good explanations. I still like the one terminator novel i have that takes place after T3 where even the characters have no idea why the timelines are all weird.

Its simple, you can alter the present which affects the future but the end result will always be the same whether it be the date first seen in T1 or the dates conflicting any film after. There is no explanation for the TX though, that was just terrible as as the casting in T3. Having Marcus as a hybrid time traveler delivering future technology to the machines of present past alters everything and the machines of the future would know this. Watch 12 Monkeys for some understanding.

You know what i want from a future war movie? An ACTUAL FUTURE WAR MOVIE. I want to see that tense combat, fighting endoskeletons in the trenches, guys in trucks doing hit and runs, dodging HK's! Squads of endoskeletons going up against the rebels... the air filled with flak...

McG's movie doesn't come CLOSE to delivering on the glimpse of the future war we saw in the Terminator and T2.

Someone please make THAT movie!

(Thanks in advance.)

If it was a stand alone sci-fi film it might have been ok, but it just wasn't Terminator. Should have been left with Camerons vission. T2 was a perfect way to finish the story. T3 was just too camped up, the arrival in the film was great but the Terminator going into yet a nother bar to get his yet again near identical black biker leathers. The last nail in the coffin was the sparkally star sunglasses, it lossed me there and then.

I didn't think it was a terrible film, it just wasn't anything special. The scenery is great and gives a good post apocalyptic feel. It probably should have just focused on Connor instead of the Terminator.

My major problem with it was Bale. He's locked in this very strange and silly growly mode whenever he needs to play "serious". And Sam worthington is a charisma-less sack of SPAM as an actor, that can't have helped any. Overall, not a terrible movie, and it would have been REALY interesting to see where they were going after the original scripted ending.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back