Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

Your seams are much nicer than mine are. Awesome build. It's giving me the inspiration I need to work on mine some more. I'm definitely going to be sourcing some of your ideas into my build. I can't wait to see more progress on this and see some color on it. What weapon(s) are you planning on building for this build?

This is amazing!! My only complaint is the length of your arms, maybe you can rig a hand extension system? Might make carrying a bolter hard though.

Can't wait to see this baby with colour.

I have the nights progress to share. I gave myself terminator honours, and placed a crux terminatus on the right kneecap of my armor. Also, I printed out some vent details for the ball things on the backpack.

I'm very close to being done with the construction phase and moving onto finishing! There are a handful of tweaks I want to make before I harden everything. I'd say we are 90% there. My Smooth-Cast 65D also arrived today and I am going to be doing some testing with that as a hard coating substitute to Epsilon. More on that soon.

IMG_1063.JPG

fresh off the printer
IMG_1064.JPG

it fits!
IMG_1065.JPG

second one done, glued in place.
IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

Here is a little lunch time progress for everyone. I came home to eat today so I added some detail rivets to the shoulders while I ate my raviolis.

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

That is looking amazing! I want to build one of my characters from my army, but first I'm building a Darth Malgus. I'm going to build most of it out of foam. How did the plastic coating work out? I don't think I saw a thread for an update on it. The reason why I ask is because I would like to use it on my armor.

Just checking in before I leave. Progress will be nil this weekend. I will be in New Mexico doing some hiking with my wife for a few days. Unfortunately that means I won't be here to work on my armor. awwwwww.

Not much to report for tonight. Most of my work for the last day has been refining previous components. Mainly my boots. There was some bending happening to the boot body when I walked and I had to add some length to the wooden base panel of my stilts to fix the issue. I also refined the toe shape slightly to allow more clearance.

I am mainly troubleshooting at this point. I am going over everything and making sure all the armor fits and moves well together before I move on to hardening. Its important I fix any potential issues now because it will be much harder to correct after the armor is coated.

Cant WAIT to do some painting! More progress happening on Monday.

IMG_1072.JPG

I want to follow this build like nothing else, but i fear it's tempting me to start my own...

I'm back from my trip! Working on the boots tonight. In my walking tests, the toe of my shoe kept peeking out. To fix this issue I made a few changes. Firstly, I cut off the toe of my shoes. Now the toes don't extend past the foam of the boot body. With that new clearance I was able to attach a front panel of the boot body. Now instead of shoe peeking out, this new panel will be visible instead.

I also started cutting rubber for the tread I will be adding to the bottom of the boot. THis will have to wait until tomorrow night though, its bedtime for now.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

AMAZING !!!!! very awesome . you sir are inspiring me to do some space marine armor. very cool . cant wait to see the finished work .

I started tonight by adding the rubber tread to the bottom of the boots. These are supplementary and should help with both wet traction as well as increase the lifespan of the sole of my boot.

Outside of that I had some fun adding weathering to most of the armor pieces. I already made a bunch of larger slashes and dins with the razor. So tonight was mostly small slag burns and such. I did this with the soldering iron.

Finishing stage.... SOON.

The boot bottoms. Hot glue doesn't adhere too well to rubber so these were all glued down with 5 minute epoxy. Hopefully that will hold them better.
IMG_1188.JPG

These are just some random shots of the weathering.
IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

Wow, I love what you did on the left shin! Can you explain how you achieved that effect? It looks incredible.

Wow, I love what you did on the left shin! Can you explain how you achieved that effect? It looks incredible.

Sure, I made a circular crater with a (sharp) razor. Holding it at an angle and gouging into the surface of the foam. Basically cutting out an shallow upside down mountain shape. After that I added the starburst with shallow V shaped cuts emanating from the center of my crater. Then I heated it with a lighter. this smooths everything out so you cant see the cut lines. Finally I added slag burns and irregularity with the tip of the soldering iron around the edges.

Once its done I am hoping it looks like a non-penetrating shot taken from a slug or some kind. There are a few such marks I made on the armor, I am a big target after all.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back