Superman Returns prop

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by gusw666, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gusw666

gusw666 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i saw this prop, and got me crazy, tonight, ill start working on it.

I wanted to ask you, if by any chance any of you could help me with the information that reads in the note, cause i have no clue on where to get it.

I have all of the fonts, pic, and daily planet logo, the only thing missing its the information.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

"UPDATE" 07/19:

Guys, i need some extra help with the right hand side rows, and the bottom one under the pic on the right hand side, any help will come handy, and the file will be shared with the helping hands, thank you all................
    (forget about the DAILY PLANET fonts, cause those are for refference for now.

[​IMG]

**UPDATE** 07/20

Well, thx to the information provided by Steve Kirk i was able to pull it out in the right way, by saturday noon the prop will be made, tomorrow ill not have time to cointinue with it, cause ill be out to see pirates of the caribean, so please understand.

[​IMG]

Any help with that may come handy.

*** UPDATE 07/24***

Well, almos done, i think, hehe, last stop its to change the font to Gothic 13 on the headline, and add the top information that was provided.

[​IMG]

Any coments will come handy, the file its still open as photoshop, so before i close it, please let me know if you think that i still need to do some changes.

Well, thank you all, and ill keep you posted tomorro.

Cya

Gus

***UPDATE*** 07/28

Almost done, guys please coments so i can finish it and print it:

[​IMG]

Oka, thx to everybody that helped me.

Gus

Gus Weber

2. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

You've got the font? Can you share it with me, cause I'm working my * off, tweaking a close one for the Reporter ID Pass from Returns...

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hm... if that's the best photo you have, you may need to "make it up."

It's frustrating, because you can ALMOST read it.. the first paragraph is something like, "It has been ? months since a new sighting of Superman has been reported..."

BTW this is the news page I was talking about in my review, where even tho it shows the "pre-departure" Superman, he's wearing the new outfit... :rolleyes

This is the best I could do to enhance it...

[​IMG]

4. phase pistol

Wait up, stop the presses... :D

That news page (as well as "LUTHOR GETS LIFE") is printed "clean" on page 85 of the book, "The Art of Superman Returns"...

- k

5. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Why would they show the Reeve suit, when this one is supposed to be "the suit"?
    He didn't make a new one, nor were they going to use anything not associated with Routh and the look for this film.
    Which makes sense.

As for the paper, it would be a very cool paper prop to have printed up on newsprint.
    Although I doubt we will be able to pick up the full body text unless someone has access to the prop itself....

6. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is a very cool idea...cant wait to see it happen

7. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

First paragraph (as best I can make it out):

It has been two months since any sighting of Superman has been reported and concerns have arisen amongst the general public of Metropolis—where has he gone.

8. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

Good to see someone wanting to do a daily planet paper

9. ROTSAnakin

ROTSAnakin Active Member

Very cool idea.

10. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

I have access to a larger version of the pic. Care to barter a couple of copies of the finished product for my transcription service? :D

Heres' the 1st 2 paragraphs

Lois Lane
    cern has arisen amongst the
    general public of Metropo-
    lis - where has he gone?

Gone are the days when
    a familiar comfort was felt at
    the flashes of red and blue in
    the high sky above, protecting
    us from the evils of todayÂ’s so-
    ciety. After such a long period
    in which we could leave our
    windows unlocked at night,
    and our children could safely
    play on the streets, a cloud of
    gloom and apprehension has
    descended over the city like an
    invisible blanket.

Doggone it Superman. Where are you??? :D

Steve

11. cking

cking Sr Member

Actually, when all the reporters are gathered around in Perry's office at the Planet, one of the questions Perry asks is "Is that a new suit?"

This implied (to me at least) that they WERE suggesting the suit had changed.

Chris

<div class='quotetop'>(Lukes Roommate @ Jul 18 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]1283160[/snapback]</div>
    Why would they show the Reeve suit, when this one is supposed to be "the suit"?
    He didn't make a new one, nor were they going to use anything not associated with Routh and the look for this film.
    Which makes sense.

As for the paper, it would be a very cool paper prop to have printed up on newsprint.
    Although I doubt we will be able to pick up the full body text unless someone has access to the prop itself....
    [/b][/quote]

12. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(cking @ Jul 18 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1283405[/snapback]</div>
    Except that the Donner film was used as a "vague history", and not a concrete past for Returns. A deleted scene mentioned a certain Kryptonian named Zod from Superman II, and Superman had not heard of him, yet Luthor obviously had been at the Fortress of Solitude before, an event from the second Superman film as well

They pretty much just picked whatever elements they wanted to retain, and threw out anything else

What, did you want a pic of Cristopher Reeve on the Daily Planet's front page? ;)

What would be the ballpark for a completed paper?

13. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have the Superman Returns Visual Guide and it does say "The outfit has changed slightly during Superman's career, but remains an iconic symbol of heroism, strength, and sacrifice"...

To me that explains the different suit :D

14. gusw666

YenChih Lin ill share it with you, pm me your email address.

phase pistol, thank you very much for the enhancement of the pic.

phase pistol, again, if you get your hand on one of those books, please scan it and send it to me so i can finish it.

Lukes Roommate, i agree and not with you, cause ill love to see the reeve outfit on this new fellow, but it makes sence to ware the new one.

darthwhitey, thank you for your coments.

Probe Droid, thank you for your help...

Kal-ElofKrypton, i could not agree more.

ROTSAnakin, thank you.

misterfusion, thank you very much for your help, and if you can add the rest of the lines, ill be more than happy, and no worries, i will give you the file with the finished version.

cking, you are right.

Neon Sentry, agree with you.

propsculptor, thx for the info.

And now, the follow up, i started with the first draft now, tomorrow ill post the preview.

Thank you for all of your help, and if you can add more info, ill be more than welcome.

Cya

Gus

15. gusw666

WEll, here it is the first draft.

[​IMG]

Cya

Gus

16. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks great so far... :thumbsup

17. phase pistol

Regards the issue of the "new suit", yeah well the guy went TO KRYPTON and all... and all he brought back was this lousy T-shirt. :unsure

But yeah, I definitely "want to believe" that the SR suit is something he "invented" recently, and that Perry's line "is that a new suit" indicates that Perry thought it looked different.

And no I wouldn't want to see a still of Reeve on the pre-departure paper, but they could easily have chosen an image of the Routh Superman taking off, motion blurred, which would have made the costume less evident. And would have better illustrated the story, come to think of it. :lol

As to scanning the pic, sure, glad to do it, but unfortunately I am OFF right this minute to Comic Con, and won't get a chance to do it till next week. If you still need it by then shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

- k

18. Kal-ElofKrypton

GREAT START. Look forward to more updates.

Maybe afterwards we can get more papers from the movie if we can get a good picture of the article.

19. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

So cool so far :thumbsup

20. Kris

Kris Sr Member

I do would suggest using Adobe Illustrator to make the page, as Photoshop is not really great for text as Illustrator is.

Great start already tough.

21. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kris @ Jul 19 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1284142[/snapback]</div>
    In what way? I know a lot of people don't choose to antialias their text, so it's got jaggies galore, but as long as you adjust your settings it looks fine

22. Kris

Kris Sr Member

I just was teached Illustrator is just better for text and paper stuff..

By the way, I recieved this email 5 mins ago:

:thumbsup

23. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

That does save quite a bit of typing, but there are still a few puncuation (sp?) adjustments to make it screen accurate. The text also repeats to fill in the whole column.

I'll copy-paste-tweak. Thanks.

Steve

24. gusw666

Thank you Kris and Bob, who helped me with the information.

"UPDATE"

Here its up till today, i need a little more information for the right hand side rows PLEASE......

Thank you all for the awsome job you are doing with your help, the file will be shared with all of the people that lays a hand on this.....

[​IMG]

Cya

Gus

25. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

I was really hoping that licensed replica newspapers would be produced... like the first SPIDER-MAN movie.

great work, so far.

26. southreplicas

southreplicas Well-Known Member

Excellent work as usual Gus.
    Can't wait to have one copy.
    Where do you find blank paper?
    Regards.

Southreplicas

27. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Heya Gus

I have the entire page transcribed, typos and all, and is accurate to the screen used piece.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the Word doc so you can just cut 'n' paste.

The only parts I don't have are the exchange rates and weather on either side of the banner. It's REEEEELY small, and I've gone cross-eyed doing the rest, so I'll hit that tomorrow, but you'll have 98% of what you need to finish it up.

Steve

28. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but do the titles for the exchange rates and the weather read (all in caps):

The Planet's Exchange Rates

The Planet's Weather At A Glance

Gus,
    I have a the same picture as your origional post, but better quality than the one posted. PM me your email address and I'll send it your way.

29. bondoking

bondoking Sr Member

Hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  30. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

Looking good.

i have to agree that Photoshop is NOT the best way to do a layout for a printed piece. I'm not suggesting that you go buy Illustrator, Quark, etc., but they are MUCH better at laying out text-heavy items.

Of course, that could just be my 14 years of experience talking ;)

Todd

31. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Weird. I started this project a few weeks ago too :lol.

I'll post me progress later on today.

Any ideas on how to do the frame?
    -Chris

**Edit**
    Here's my version so far:
    [​IMG]

Detail of the logo:
    [​IMG]

I recreated the logo in Illustrator using reference from various sources. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. :)

Notice - the photo has been cleaned up as well - you need to remove the reflections from the dark areas.
    i scaled the paper to 17" X 24" - it's BIG.

Thanks for lookin',
    Chris

32. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

Wow.
    I can't believe how quickly this has come together.
    Anyone have a source on printing on real newsprint?

33. Dann

Dann Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like its coming along nicely. Please send me the Daily Planet .eps logo if you feel like sharing it...

ninjagrips@gmail.com

34. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Weird .. it says 20 Belgian Frank is 1$. It was 40. Well, since 1999, so it should have been Euro by then already, right?

35. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gus, not to be nit picky, but the font you used for the headline isn't the same as what is seen in the photo. The "E", "R", "A", "G", "O" and "?" are all different. Great job though...it's coming along really well.

I have to echo that Illustrator is the tool for something like this, or Quark. Photoshop is for photo manipulation not laying out text and such. :)

36. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(bondoking @ Jul 20 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]1284341[/snapback]</div>
    You bet it does.

Nice work.

Steve

37. gusw666

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jul 20 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]1284526[/snapback]</div>

Hey thank you for the data, do you know what its the name of the actual font by any chance?

38. Kal-ElofKrypton

WOW this happend fast. Everyone keep up the good work.

39. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

Illustrator or Photoshop doesn't matter, if the quality is good enough for printing... If Gus is working at 300 dpi there will be no visible difference from an Illustrator image when printed, even with a laser printer. ;)
    BTW great work on those images... :D

40. Kris

Kris Sr Member

41. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kris @ Jul 20 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]1284745[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Hey Kris,

This is about 95% right from the large version of the pic I worked from, but there are a few subtile differences in punctuation and spelling on a few items.

Ther verisons that Gus and Jedipunk are working on will be screen accurate with the promo still from the movie.

Steve

42. gusw666

**UPDATE** 07/20

Well, thx to the information provided by Steve Kirk i was able to pull it out in the right way, by saturday noon the prop will be made, tomorrow ill not have time to cointinue with it, cause ill be out to see pirates of the caribean, so please understand.

There are a few tweaks to be made, but im waiting to give them the final touch when im done with the writing portion of it.

[​IMG]

Thank you Steve, and all for your help.

Gus

43. Reel Fakes

Mine's finished :)

[​IMG]

Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but thanks to Steve, it is Super-accurate.
    Thanks man.

Now to figure out how to do the frame...

Chris

44. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(jedipunk @ Jul 20 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]1284907[/snapback]</div>
    Almost buddy, almost :)

Re: The stories along the bottom...

Your "Crops Attacked" headline looks to be a font size bigger than the rest of the headers...

It's "Staying in for Dinner"

and

"Starlets with an Attitude" (capital "A")

It looks mighty purdy :)

Steve

45. Reel Fakes

Thanks again Steve. That'll teach me to jump the gun... :$

<div class='quotetop'>(misterfusion @ Jul 20 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]1284925[/snapback]</div>

46. Reel Fakes

Thoughts on the frame:

The inner-most section looks like a normal large poster frame. The rest (the fancy part) is built around the inner frame to dress it up.

It is a lot thinner than it looks at first glance - if you look closely at the image of the prop in the first post, you can see where extra shadows were painted in to give the frame more visual depth.

My immediate plan is to find a suitible inner frame, and then build up the surrounding details using foamcore and cardboard. When it's finished it will look like wood, but will be ultra-light. That will be very important, because - as I said before - this thing is HUGE.

I'll post as I progress...

-Chris

47. bondoking

bondoking Sr Member

what paper did you get it printed on? and where?

48. Reel Fakes

<div class='quotetop'>(bondoking @ Jul 21 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]1285035[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't had it printed yet - still weighing my options...

**Edit**
    Am I done now Steve?
    [​IMG]

I hid the newsprint color layer this time 'round :)

-Chris

49. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I mentioned this to Gus in PM but since there are more than one person here doing the paper I figured I'd post so everyone can make use of the info.

The font for the headline is Gothic 13. I overlaid the text on top of the photo of the paper and what matched was the top line, "WHERE HAS", at 98% width and -30 tracking (the space between the letters). The bottom line, "HE GONE?" is 98% width with -20 tracking.

50. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

* you guys are fast. I wish I had access to some good art so I could have contributed.

Is there any plan to make the .eps or .pdf or whatever file available? Or just a printed version for sale?

Due to space limitations, I would print this smaller than actual size (for myself, I mean.)

Excellent job folks.