Studio scale Tantive IV

Love it Lasse, awesome casting, awesome build, you guys doing these larger fleet ships are on another level. I love your chrome Pendant lamps too BTW lol!

lee

That is awesome.....

studio-scale-tantive-iv-img_2218.jpg-235262d1379968448

Hi L,

Question: Are you holding off doing the engines because 1) you're saving the best for last or 2) every model has one area that frustrates the heck out of someone? ;)

Brilliant & Spectacular build!

Just working my way from the front and back :) I am looking forward to the engines as well, but most of all i am seeing the end of this project. It has been a long haul...

Been through this build now at Vimeo, facebook and here for the last days whenever I found a quite second toenjoy the progress. Are you already tired hearing how awesome that beast is?
I really hope to be able seeing it one day in person. There'll be a SciFi show in Germany in 2014: SpaceDays in Darmstadt. Any chance you'll make it?
Cheers,
struschie

Thanks, yes i think it is awesome too :)
Hauling this beast to Germany or any other place is out of the question i am afraid :)

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. I took the full scale Falcon cockpit for its first road trip / sci-fi show - I was terrified! But well worth the fear (and I didn't break anything - knock on wood)! You've got to take the chance and show off your work. It would be a sin to let this just sit and not be admired. :)

Wow! When you started this, project you knew it would be a challenge, even for you Lasse, but did you ever think that it would take this long? It's really something to behold.

TazMan2000

Well, the challenge was more related to time thanto technical stuff. Fortunately i never really set a a finishing date, i rather saw it as a running project for whenever i had the time and resources. It has been more than 3 years now, since i started and i hope to see it completed this winter. The thing is, life is throwing stuff at you all the time and i have made a lot of changes that have cost me serious build-time :) Hopefully, in the not too distant future I will be able to produce at a more steady pace but right now the Tantive IV is my only goal as far as modeling goes.
That being said, i am getting back to work on her today - after having dealt with the flu for for a couple of weeks :)

Hey Lasse, thought I'd join in and say how impressive your work is. When I first saw your models I was so blown away and inspired, so I set out to build my own models. I don't have the room to build anything as large as what you've done, but I did build a YT-1000. Really enjoying this new hobby, thanks for the insperational kick in the pants that got me into modeling.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/yt-1000-corellian-freighter-scratch-build-187500/

ps. I adopted your preference to build models not with the original parts (greeblies) but with your own, it makes it more fun I think.

WOW, Thanks! :confused
Yes it is an awesome scale for a model not seen more in the films - simply because this ship was originally intended to be Han Solos ship before they changed their mind. They also made a much smaller version from solid aluminium, but it was never showed...:lol

I know this is an older post, and don't know if this was addressed elsewhere in the thread, but in case it wasn't:

I worked at Apogee in the late '80's, and I discussed this with Grant McCune. He stated that the aluminum ship was used in the first shot. They needed the ship to be as small as possible in order to help sell the scale of the star destroyer (which, as we all know, was much smaller than the larger blockade runner). They couldn't make the scale work without a smaller version. It was made of aluminum in order to act as a heat sink for the quartz lights that were used for the engines.

And, adding my voice to everyone else's here, great work! Also, I have no issue with using your own parts. No one cared at the time the originals were built -- parts were grabbed from bins and kits as they worked the best for the desired look, or simply because they were there. You want the overall feel to look good, so if one chooses to build in the same spirit, perhaps its better to ask, "if I worked at ILM at the time, would my work have passed muster?" Much better question, as far as I am concerned... but to each his own!

Jay Roth

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back