Studio scale Tantive IV

Looks like some great work on this model was made ;) Congrats :)

As for the CG Vs Hand-made debate, I'm not sure what the debate is over, I don't see a difference. Yes CG models can look like crap but who's fault is that? Hand-made models can look like crap as well. What's the old saying about blaming the tools? I'm not sure what tricks CG has over hand-made as I have not seen anything that can't be done by both when it comes to the final product. And I've been in the business for nearly 20 years now.

Hand-made uses real world measurements, so does CG.
Hand-made has to craft the shapes needed, so does CG.
Hand-made has to paint on colours and things like burn marks and scratches, so does CG.
Hand-made can take months if not years to complete a single model, so does CG.

BUT :D and this is really the only point that hand-made has. You can hold the model in your hands, you can feel the textures under your fingers. Their is something to be said about this :) and any CG artists worth a grain would have to agree ;)

But even this will soon be something that CG can do as well, if you have been watching the CES convention then you'll know what I mean ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPNxm5sWJIk

In the end I think CG will not be the death of hand-made models but will actually help bring in a new generation of modelers. The " I want it now " generation are going to jump onto 3D printing in a big way I'm sure.

The name of this forum is the replica prop forum not the hand-made replica prop forum. :) If the CG artists who made the latest Star Trek movies wanted to donate the file containing the new enterprise, would the owners of this site say no? Would anybody not want to 3D print that baby out in a second :D haha

In my opinion there is NOTHING that can't be done by either hand-made or CGI. Its not the tools that make you a modeler its what you do when using them that makes you a modeler ;)

Last edited:
But in reading about The Hobbit, they said they wanted to use miniatures but couldn't. Because of the HFR they had to use CG. If HFR becomes the standard Cg is going to be the way to go.

HFR ( High Frame Rate for those playing at home :popcorn ) means that low quality models can now no longer be used as everything is vastly more noticeable. Meaning miniatures will be out but larger models can still be used. It all comes down to the amount of detail that can be put onto the model. Wether its hand-made or CG. Obviously Hand-made miniatures can't have as much detail on them, as the larger versions so they are out. But then again it also comes down to how much detail do the producers and directors want to have on their models. :D The big thing CG has over hand made is $$$ 2 cents its just cheaper to make a CG model than to make a hand-made one. Sadly, I think that will be the determining factor for many movies to come.

Was there a thread started on this subject? Not really right to hijack this thread of awesmonness star wars modelling :D

CG isn't necessarily cheaper than miniatures, like for instance if you have any situation with lots of unique objects (like foliage) or effects type shots (explosions) then it costs much more to do it with the computer, simulations increase it a lot if needed.

My question is what are you planning on doing with this when you are done? Is it solely for you? I can't imagine your wife letting you leave it on the kitchen table forever. Amazing work my friend! Some of the best I've seen.

My question is what are you planning on doing with this when you are done? Is it solely for you? I can't imagine your wife letting you leave it on the kitchen table forever. Amazing work my friend! Some of the best I've seen.

Kokkari is right, you know. I have room for it at my place. You can come see it whenever you want....Honest! :lol

TazMan2000

Well, back at it after a long break. There will be more updates as i go :)
I am currently painting the "belly" of the ship.

Attachments

• IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 520
Beautifulllllllll Lasse, great to see you back at work on her again.
Please, please do another of your awesome video's when you finish her up, as a walk around, all the fine angles
would just be terrific mate!.
Stu

The more posts I read and see on this forum, the more in awe I become of you guys !! Absolutely amazing. I now have to go pick up my jaw from the floor (again)...

Some more progress pics from the painting. This is before dry brushing.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 393
WOW, Lorne have seen my models? That is great to hear!!! I regard him as my modelmaking father :) Meeting him have been one of my greatest wishes :cool
You guys are sooo lucky :cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7,390
That pic rules!

Yeah, my wife and I picked him up from the airport two Friday's ago for Jerseyfest, and on the car ride back we chatted about this and that, and I was asking how it must be surreal to do these conventions and meet all these guys in their 40s who painstakingly recreate things he made so long ago. He loves that we do this - and I think he said something like "there's this fella in Norway I think? Making the Princess' Ship.." and I said "Lasse! It's completely amazing" and he said "oh! You know him! Yeah, he's making it FAR nicer than we did!..."

Figured you'd be on top of the world, knowing that!! Well deserved praise!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back