Studio scale klingon bird of prey landing config mods and accurate paint

Thanks DBHS, I'm sure there will be another posting in the form of more pictures asap. I should get some great shots in a week or so. Yes indeedee waynem0, it should be home soon in its rightful spot. HAHA
If I was doing his for myself I would probably take about a year to get it finished, as I'm always getting projects in to fix or paint, so I'm kinda pleased with this only taking about month start to finish. Also I hate keeping people waiting for their pride and joy so I tend to hammer it until its done. Sometimes I get burn out, but mostly I can keep it going until the end. Here is a little video I shot the other day, super dodgy voiceover and shaky hands, hope you like it. More pics coming soon.

Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredible amount of work has gone into this project and the video just shows the end result. Each panel with the individual subtle shading and differences to the next and so on and so forth. The wings up configuration looks stunning together with the bespoke undercarriage. Noticed how it sat slight banked with one wing lower than the other once you twisted it on the stand which was seen at the end of the video. Sublime.

Bravo! As a builder and kit maker I appreciate seeing one of my kits finished out. Wayne you are a lucky man! I'd hate to have to ship this one out to you... id wanna keep it for myself. Overall great job!

Thanks Steve, appreciate your comments as I am sure will the artist. Awesome kit such as this deserves the best job possible and I love the mod. Now I am looking forward to getting another epic model from you and having this one built up and painted to the same exacting standards.
Bravo! As a builder and kit maker I appreciate seeing one of my kits finished out. Wayne you are a lucky man! I'd hate to have to ship this one out to you... id wanna keep it for myself. Overall great job!

Had the privilege of seeing this masterpiece up close and personal today...
It is stunning...!!!
Andy you are a true craftsman

You are welcome to see the Y-Wing he has done for me if you wish along with some other pieces from the collection. Come along for a view when Andy comes to deliver the model. Welcome anytime as we seem to share the same interest!
Had the privilege of seeing this masterpiece up close and personal today...
It is stunning...!!!
Andy you are a true craftsman

That's a really kind offer, many thanks...
I'll chat with Andy and see if it works out for me timing wise, much appreciated anyway!
He's painting a MR Y-Wing for me but I'm just trying to nail down whether their model is a specific member of Gold Squadron or just a 'generic' Y-Wing
The MR out of the box paint scheme is clearly Gold 3 but the Lunar Module Greeblie is confusing the issue, along with the pipe work
Studio 02.jpg

Sounds like its time for another thread !!!
Ill start the y wing repaint thread next week. meanwhile ill get some killer images of this BOP model before it goes back home.
Thanks Ollois, it was great to meet up.

THE MR Y-Wing is a killer model in my opinion but let down badly by the factory drab paintwork scheme. Love my new one since it has been re-done by Andy. He will sort yours I am sure to your specifications and liking. Welcome anytime by the way. Good luck on your new project. Over to you Andy on new thread and close down the Bird of Prey one with some killer images then it can fly and land back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a really kind offer, many thanks...
I'll chat with Andy and see if it works out for me timing wise, much appreciated anyway!
He's painting a MR Y-Wing for me but I'm just trying to nail down whether their model is a specific member of Gold Squadron or just a 'generic' Y-Wing
The MR out of the box paint scheme is clearly Gold 3 but the Lunar Module Greeblie is confusing the issue, along with the pipe work
View attachment 619104

I just decided to take a few images of this with an old camera. No studio, so I took a few shots from the same angle using a torch to illuminate the various areas, (without lighting up the walls in the living room to much), then composited them into one image to highlight he areas I wanted. I think they came out ok for an amateur photo job. Ill try some more this evening and do close ups of the various surfaces. Just for a bit of fun really.
front composite 1.jpgside left composite 1.jpgside left composite 2.jpg

Thanks guys, it mean a lot to know you all like it. It is a special model for sure.
Hope the post op stage goes well for you moffeaton. Could it be model therapy for you ?

Model therapy is what wrecked my hands :p

Slow and low is my new MO! I'll get around to the BOP sooner than later. Your pics lit a fire in my brain!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back