Starship Troopers: Invasion

In the original films, it was pretty pointless armor, but I think that was, in a weird way, kinda the point: the soldiers were just cannon fodder being wasted on a pointless war which was really just a cover for expansionist human policy. The bugs weren't interested in attacking Earth, and never actually did (the asteroid was just a fluke incident, and an excuse to attack). The whole first film was dark satire on militarism and colonialism.

In the book (although I haven't read it) my understanding is that the powered armor did offer some protection, the Arachnids were actually intelligent and used weapons (Which the armor provided some protection from), but it also provided the ability to electronically monitor and coordinate troops, and enhanced a soldier's physical abilities and especially mobility.

In the original films, it was pretty pointless armor, but I think that was, in a weird way, kinda the point: the soldiers were just cannon fodder being wasted on a pointless war which was really just a cover for expansionist human policy. The bugs weren't interested in attacking Earth, and never actually did (the asteroid was just a fluke incident, and an excuse to attack). The whole first film was dark satire on militarism and colonialism.

In the book (although I haven't read it) my understanding is that the powered armor did offer some protection, the Arachnids were actually intelligent and used weapons (Which the armor provided some protection from), but it also provided the ability to electronically monitor and coordinate troops, and enhanced a soldier's physical abilities and especially mobility.

The funny thing is that on the special features for SST: Invasion, there's actually a special feature called Power Armor and Casper Van Dien and Ed Neumeier explained that Verhoeven said he didn't want power armor because the film would look like a flea circus with all these troopers jumping around but ultimately it was the budget. At the time, Starship Troopers was the most expensive film the studio had ever produced and after the CGI bugs and everything else, they couldn't afford to build the armor and animate it.

This power armor was more akin to Halo than say Starcraft like I mentioned in my previous post. It was a light armor, similar to the armor from Roughneck Chronicles. Internal air supply, magnetic plates in the boots, the suit allowed them the ability to bound although they didn't use it continuously, just once. Im fairly certain it didn't help them run faster and longer or really boost their strength.

Also this film made sure to let you know that there are women in the squad and that they have boobs.

This film wasn't a masterpiece by any means but I still really liked it and was better than those abominations, Starship Troopers 2 & 3

I really enjoyed the movie and couldn't have been happier. Armor was cool, ships were cool, bugs were cool. :)
Then again, I'm also the same guy who loved the cheese fest that was Hero of the Federation. :confused

Haha I was going to make the same comment. The third one was just as bad as two but at least it had Casper. I enjoyed Invasion, it felt like a real sequel to the original film, especially with Carmen and NPH being in it.

I enjoyed it, thought the sequence in the engine room was really nicely rendered.

Slightly surprised that Casper didn't voice Rico.

Different direction from the first, :popcorn which I thought was entertaining. Definitely better than then next couple.

Just finished the 10 minute opening.

The story, the action and even the dialogue feels way over rushed. The film gives no time to establish shots or characters. Now I would normally give this material a pass if I was enjoying it, but there was something about the action scenes that didn't feel right. Took me a few seconds, but it made all the sense in the world.

The machine gun sound effects.

Those are the most generic, unoriginal gun fire sound effects I have ever heard. They have no punch, no UMPH, and no distinction. It's like they all set their weapons to medium volume.

It's like they all set their weapons to medium volume.

:lol

I'm sorry, but the mental image of that just cracks me up.

>BRAKABRAKABRAKA!!<

"Jenkins! This is a night op, you fool! Switch that gun to medium volume, dammit!!"

">gulp< Sorry, sarge!"

>click<

>brakabrakabraka<

Just finished watching it. or tried to. After the first half hour, it was
putting me to sleep. I dozed in and out for 45 minutes and got towards
the end. I ended up shutting it off before it was over.

Now I know why people where conpairing it to Tron. Both sleepers.

Glad it was just a rental.

:lol

I'm sorry, but the mental image of that just cracks me up.

>BRAKABRAKABRAKA!!<

"Jenkins! This is a night op, you fool! Switch that gun to medium volume, dammit!!"

">gulp< Sorry, sarge!"

>click<

>brakabrakabraka<

Haha that's hilarious solo.

I quite enjoyed it. I wish Casper had voiced the Rico character, but overall I liked it.

Now...

Who's going to model the armor for pepakura? :)

Oh come on, you knew it was going to be said. :p

Russ

Watched it the other day. It wasn't as horrible as 2 and I haven't seen all of 3.

The armor was cool, but I agree, what's the point? The bugs tore through it as if it was pep armor.

The weapons were cool... although it seemed as the movie progressed they had attachments on them that weren't there earlier (that I noticed). They all had the same rifle. By the end there was one witha grenade launcher and one with a gatling gun attached under the barrel.

I liked Carmen's pistol. Looked like a cooler version of the Kriss .45.

I think it's funny that they have these hueg energy cannons on the ships (good for what... the bugs don't have ships), but the MI is still using bullet guns that still take multple hits to take down a bug (except for Trig's sniper rifle). Seems like they should all just be using the big guns.

The mech suit Rico uses reminded me of something out of Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.
The story reminded me of Event Horizon (possessed ship).

The anime boobies were nice.

The "acting" was pretty dopey and generic.

In the books they did, full environmental as well as protection against small arms and the like as I recall. It also provided the individual trooper with far greater mobility, hence the name Mobile Infantry, and a whole lot of firepower; in the book Rico described each suit having the equivalent firepwoer of an entire platoon of conventional infantry.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back