Starship Troopers: Invasion

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Mar 19, 2012.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Should we worried that there's a trailer up and yet IMDb has nothing filled in for it's page?

I saw ST 2 and 3 and was really disappointed in both. This one can only be a step up. Do you know if it's a theater release or another direct to video?

3. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I actually sorta liked that trailer, could be good.

4. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Ooooh!!! :)
    It looks like we'll finally get sOme closure to the short lived Roughneck Chronicles. I wonder if they'll be related.

Also, cue in all the fracking fan boys saying its ripping Halo off.

5. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Is it for a film or a videogame? Is it direct-to-video like 2 and 3 were, or a "reboot/relaunch" of the "franchise" in theaters?

Anyone have ANY info on it? Oh, and battlesuits are cool.

6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Haven't checked yet.

Any power armor?

7. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

After looking at the Official Website, I learned everything I need to know:
    1. This is a CGI animated film WITH powered armor, as you can see in the teaser trailer.
    2. Directed by (and with mechanical designs by) world-renowned anime creator SHINJI ARAMAKI.
    I'm in! :cool:thumbsup

Now if only Sony would pull their heads out of their arses and bring the 1980s Starship Troopers anime OVA to Region 1 on DVD and Blu-Ray, translated into English, fans of Starship Troopers would be VERY happy! :)

8. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Hmmm.. powered armor, I'll give the trailer a chance later and might keep an eye on this.

9. epilepticsquirl

Sound advice. :lol

[​IMG]

10. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I'm pretty stoked to see this, the trailer looked pretty cool.

So I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the proposed reboot that is supposed to be closer to Heinleins novel?

11. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It could be, that dialouge sounded verbatim to parts of the novel.

12. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

His monologue is almost verbatim the first paragraph of the book. I'm in.

13. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Agreed. Very excited about this!

14. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

If its an adaptation of the Novel, I'm most definitely in. I love that book.

15. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Looks like the same studio who made the Appleseed CGI movies, I think CGI is the best bet and I agree the 80s anime would be great to bring over.

16. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

oh wow, it's the new Halo movie :lol

All CGI... meh, I'll pass :unsure

17. mattrendar

mattrendar Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm a starship trooper ***** I'm in for the drop . Can't wait!!!

18. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

ON THE BOUNCE, SOLDIER!!!! You will watch this!!!

19. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

So what? Are people seriously calling it a rip off of halo?

20. waltonrawlins

waltonrawlins New Member

dude this might turn out good

21. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm pretty sure this is the same studio who made the latest TMNT CGI film, as well as the Appleseed CGI movies. And helmed by Shinji Aramaki? Sounds like a promising project!

22. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Anyone who seriously calls it a HALO ripoff is woefully ignorant of SCIFI landmark novels and should get the **** slapped out of them. I'm pretty sure Jon was kidding.

23. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Wait those bugs look like ripoff's from Them!
    [​IMG]

24. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

More likely they're appx. 15 and don't know any better.

Which, of course, does not mitigate the need to slap the **** out of them. :)

25. SmilingOtter

OK, I'm now less excited. From the website:

A distant Federation outpost Fort Casey comes under attack by bugs. The team on the fast attack ship Alesia is assigned to help the Starship John A. Warden stationed in Fort Casey evacuate along with the survivors and bring military intelligence safely back to Earth. Carl Jenkins, now ministry of Paranormal Warfare, takes the starship on a clandestine mission before its rendezvous with the Alesia and goes missing in the nebula. Now, the battle-hardened troopers are charged with a rescue mission that may lead to a much more sinister consequence than they ever could have imagined....

So it's in the same mold as the movies. Well played, executive producer Casper Van Dien. You fooled me quite expertly with your trailer, sir.

26. SmilingOtter

Double post.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  27. bish

bish New Member

I was one of the editors on Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles and while at the time it was about as good as could be done for TV with the amount of time and technology that could be mustered, it was quickly outpaced as technology and talent in computer animation progressed at a faster and faster pace. But I'm really excited to see Starship Troopers being done with modern CG. I'll definitely check it out.

28. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Wow, that's cool. I've been thinking about pulling out the DVDs and watching that show again. About a decade ago, maybe slightly more, I used to post on the Roughnecks Forums to talk about the show. It's so disappointing that Sony/Columbia/Tri-Star didn't allow you folks to produce the final few episodes to finish the story. :(

29. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Wait a second. (1) that show is a DECADE old now?! (2) it didn't finish? I remember catching a few minutes here and there, but I thought it wrapped up. That sucks if it didn't.

30. epilepticsquirl

Nope, we were left with a cliffhanger of Carl's prediction of a huge battle to come. I was hoping this might have been some closure to that but after reading the synopsis it isn't. I'm still going to watch it though. :)

31. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I like the looks of this and the director's never let me down in his other projects. I hope the mecha/power armor look good. I agree the suit we see in the clip is a bit too much like all the others you see these days in games and anime thanks to halo.

32. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, I instantly thought of Crysis, actually.

33. bish

bish New Member

Yeah part of that was when the show was conceived it was originally going to be done as traditional animation. Then at the last minute they were convinced it could be done CG. However the show had already been sold to the syndication company so the time given to produce the show was locked in. Then two of the three effects studios working on it, Netter Digital and another whose name I've forgotten, couldn't hack the schedule and the really badly animated episodes at the begining were done by them. They dropped out, leaving Foundation Imaging to pick up all the slack. Unfortunately it was next to impossible for us to catch up and get it all out on time and Sony just decided to create the clip shows and cut episodes which left the ending hanging. I wish I had got ahold of the scripts for the ending. I remember them floating around but don't remember specifics. They are probably out there somewhere heh.

The sad thing is that after doing that show Foundation Imaging was supposed to begin work on the Heavy Gear animated show, however at the last minute Sony sent the show up to Mainframe in Canada and Foundation had to lay off a majority of the employees they had hired for Starship Troopers. This was kind of the start of the death spiral for Foundation Imaging which unfortunately had so much potential cut short.

Anyway, It was crazy and fun, but back on topic, this new version has a lot of potential as well I really hope it goes well.

- bish

34. crabra comander

With Casper Van Dien at the helm, it is destined for greatness!

35. epilepticsquirl

Check out the tumblr page for some really great concept art from the movie.
    Starship Troopers: Invasion

I'm digging some of the sketches they've been putting out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still on the fence with the power suits.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it looks like we'll have some proper exo suits similar to the Roughnecks.
    [​IMG]

Looking good!
    Live forever Apes.

36. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hope this is good...

Nick

37. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Looking really promising.

38. darkchylde80

darkchylde80 Well-Known Member

I'm in! Love Starship Troopers, even though 2 and 3 didn't hit the spot for me, this looks like it could be a great return.

39. epilepticsquirl

A little something from the Japan site:

Power Suit's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prosthetics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ships
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm really digging The "John A Warden" :love

40. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

It looks pretty good. The power armor is a bit of a letdown, especially since an anime company is making it. Still it's better than the ones in the live action movie.

41. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

42. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I'm not big on anime, but * that looks cool.

43. Jediguy

Jediguy Well-Known Member

LIVE FOREVER APES!!!

This is awesome . I can't wait.

I've been searching for a long time. Could nv get my hands on a large model of the rodger young

44. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Japanese trailer looks way more "awesomer" with Johnny Rico looking very Fury-esque!

45. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

the voice talent is woeful :-(

46. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I absolutely love the novel and thought the first movie was pretty good for what it was. I'm really looking forward to this one, though. The moment I saw the armor, I had a squee moment!

47. OneHotHemi

OneHotHemi Active Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  48. epilepticsquirl

49. crabra comander

Well, Blu-ray and anime are a go for me. I already have Appleseed on Blu-Ray so this might be a no-brainer for me.

50. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Well, it certainly can't be as bad as the second and third films. I lost IQ points watching those movies.