Starship Troopers: Invasion

I'm pretty sure this is the same studio who made the latest TMNT CGI film, as well as the Appleseed CGI movies. And helmed by Shinji Aramaki? Sounds like a promising project!

Wait those bugs look like ripoff's from Them!
them_121404.gif

Anyone who seriously calls it a HALO ripoff is woefully ignorant of SCIFI landmark novels and should get the **** slapped out of them. I'm pretty sure Jon was kidding.

More likely they're appx. 15 and don't know any better.

Which, of course, does not mitigate the need to slap the **** out of them. :)

OK, I'm now less excited. From the website:

A distant Federation outpost Fort Casey comes under attack by bugs. The team on the fast attack ship Alesia is assigned to help the Starship John A. Warden stationed in Fort Casey evacuate along with the survivors and bring military intelligence safely back to Earth. Carl Jenkins, now ministry of Paranormal Warfare, takes the starship on a clandestine mission before its rendezvous with the Alesia and goes missing in the nebula. Now, the battle-hardened troopers are charged with a rescue mission that may lead to a much more sinister consequence than they ever could have imagined....

So it's in the same mold as the movies. Well played, executive producer Casper Van Dien. You fooled me quite expertly with your trailer, sir.

I was one of the editors on Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles and while at the time it was about as good as could be done for TV with the amount of time and technology that could be mustered, it was quickly outpaced as technology and talent in computer animation progressed at a faster and faster pace. But I'm really excited to see Starship Troopers being done with modern CG. I'll definitely check it out.

I was one of the editors on Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles and while at the time it was about as good as could be done for TV with the amount of time and technology that could be mustered, it was quickly outpaced as technology and talent in computer animation progressed at a faster and faster pace. But I'm really excited to see Starship Troopers being done with modern CG. I'll definitely check it out.
Wow, that's cool. I've been thinking about pulling out the DVDs and watching that show again. About a decade ago, maybe slightly more, I used to post on the Roughnecks Forums to talk about the show. It's so disappointing that Sony/Columbia/Tri-Star didn't allow you folks to produce the final few episodes to finish the story. :(

Wait a second. (1) that show is a DECADE old now?! (2) it didn't finish? I remember catching a few minutes here and there, but I thought it wrapped up. That sucks if it didn't.

Wait a second. (1) that show is a DECADE old now?! (2) it didn't finish? I remember catching a few minutes here and there, but I thought it wrapped up. That sucks if it didn't.

Nope, we were left with a cliffhanger of Carl's prediction of a huge battle to come. I was hoping this might have been some closure to that but after reading the synopsis it isn't. I'm still going to watch it though. :)

I like the looks of this and the director's never let me down in his other projects. I hope the mecha/power armor look good. I agree the suit we see in the clip is a bit too much like all the others you see these days in games and anime thanks to halo.

Wow, that's cool. I've been thinking about pulling out the DVDs and watching that show again. About a decade ago, maybe slightly more, I used to post on the Roughnecks Forums to talk about the show. It's so disappointing that Sony/Columbia/Tri-Star didn't allow you folks to produce the final few episodes to finish the story. :(

Yeah part of that was when the show was conceived it was originally going to be done as traditional animation. Then at the last minute they were convinced it could be done CG. However the show had already been sold to the syndication company so the time given to produce the show was locked in. Then two of the three effects studios working on it, Netter Digital and another whose name I've forgotten, couldn't hack the schedule and the really badly animated episodes at the begining were done by them. They dropped out, leaving Foundation Imaging to pick up all the slack. Unfortunately it was next to impossible for us to catch up and get it all out on time and Sony just decided to create the clip shows and cut episodes which left the ending hanging. I wish I had got ahold of the scripts for the ending. I remember them floating around but don't remember specifics. They are probably out there somewhere heh.

The sad thing is that after doing that show Foundation Imaging was supposed to begin work on the Heavy Gear animated show, however at the last minute Sony sent the show up to Mainframe in Canada and Foundation had to lay off a majority of the employees they had hired for Starship Troopers. This was kind of the start of the death spiral for Foundation Imaging which unfortunately had so much potential cut short.

Anyway, It was crazy and fun, but back on topic, this new version has a lot of potential as well I really hope it goes well.

- bish

Check out the tumblr page for some really great concept art from the movie.
Starship Troopers: Invasion

I'm digging some of the sketches they've been putting out.
1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm still on the fence with the power suits.
5.jpg

4.jpg

But it looks like we'll have some proper exo suits similar to the Roughnecks.
3.jpg

Looking good!
Live forever Apes.

It looks pretty good. The power armor is a bit of a letdown, especially since an anime company is making it. Still it's better than the ones in the live action movie.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back