Starbug - Red Dwarf

Dimus

I'm starting a build of Starbug. Aiming for a model approximately 20cm in length.

I've started a basic schematic of the mainly body using various reference pics.

Has anyone else done a model and if so do my measurements look okay?

Will post progress once I actually begin building.

20210105_125128.jpg

If it's of any help the original was made from EMA hemispheres so if you look at their catalogue and find the sizes closest to your measurements that could help?

I hope these are of use Dimus? This was from the first Smallspace event nearly 10 years ago. This is the original large scale hero prop that Mike Tucker was kind enough to let me take some detail shots of after the event had finished. Apologies that the colours are a bit washed out and nit as great focus wise as they could be, the digital camera I had at the time was very inconsistent.

005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG

You need to watch Red Dwarf STAT! It's my favorite sci-fi comedy. Great writing and acting, and the effects were pretty decent for the time, especially for British TV.
I will absolutely watch it! Sci-Fi and comedy are my two of my favorite things. As far as British TV goes, on the account of being american, I don't have much knowledge outside of Graham Norton, and Monty Python.

I'm starting a build of Starbug. Aiming for a model approximately 20cm in length.

I've started a basic schematic of the mainly body using various reference pics.

Has anyone else done a model and if so do my measurements look okay?

Will post progress once I actually begin building.

View attachment 1408483
Off the top of my head (because things like this stick) the article about making the miniatures by Rocky Morton in the Red Dwarf Smegazine nearly thirty years ago said the balls were 8 inch, 10 inch and 14 inch, the smaller ones being EMA, and the big one being specially made, so, if my maths are correct, you're pretty close, nice work.

:)

Not to highjack, but this is the one I made twenty-odd years ago, out of Christmas baubles and a vac form from an EMA dome, it was basically to the above measurements, but 80mm, 100mm, and 150mm, as that's all I could get hold of:

P3050047.jpg

StarbugEngine.jpg

It's one of my favourite designs, along with the Eagle Transporter and the Liberator from Blake's 7.

It's Alan "Rocky" Marshall. Your model looks great!

A couple of other bits that hopefully may be of help, the back thrusters are actually light fittings from B&Q, they're now long since discontinued. The inside visor is a plastic visor that was very popular with the vis fx guys, it was used alot for visors as it was gold on one side, silver on the reverse and you can see through it either side. I have got a sample of it somewhere, it was used quite prominently for the Imperial Dalek props where it was used to clad the slats and neck bins, the reverse silver side material was then used for the inside of the iris and the visor for the helmet on the battle computer.

Awesome photos & info there everyone. Will definitly help with detailing.

More progress. Getting the windows neat took ages at this scale. My new cordless Dremel helped massively though.

Almost ready to start putting the main body sections together. It's going to have engine and front lighting which is complicating things slightly but I think I have it figured out.
20210203_125239.jpg
20210203_125226.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back