the ANGRY RED ROCKET

ajamodels

Here's my latest. The rocket seen in the film "The Angry Red Planet". I liked this film, an entertianing 'B' movie from the 50's.

Fresh out of the casting machine this morning, the model was cleaned up with some minimal sanding.
I painted the whole thing with white primer - then masked off the areas for a light silver paint. Then -at this point- i painted one side of the engine covers with bright red.
All this by 5 pm! The model is about 9.5" tall.
3rd photo is the three engine bells and the nose 'spike' - which is simply a tooth-pick cut in half.

Attachments

• Anry Red Rocket (2).jpg
    Anry Red Rocket (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
  • Anry Red Rocket (1).jpg
    Anry Red Rocket (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • Anry Red Rocket (3).jpg
    Anry Red Rocket (3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • Angry Red Planet 1.jpg
    Angry Red Planet 1.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 107
Digressing a bit but it always trips me out a little these classic movie rockets depicted so quaintly landing on their tails ends up how things are actually turning out.

Just mounted the engine bells, and painted the area 'light gun metal' with a very heavy coat. The 'bleeding' is deliberate - you'll see later.
I added a black band at the base of the nose cone made from 1/32" wide black Chartpak tape. nice & clean!
I found a very small American roundel decal in my stash. this will be apllied last.
At this point i am waiting for paint masks from a friend for the dark blue areas, that could be a couple of weeks. Attached is the paint guide i derived from photos of the filming model.

Attachments

• Anrgy Red Rocket  (3).jpg
    Anrgy Red Rocket (3).jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Anrgy Red Rocket  (2).jpg
    Anrgy Red Rocket (2).jpg
    988.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Anrgy Red Rocket  (4).jpg
    Anrgy Red Rocket (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • AngryRedRocketDWG_paint_Guide.jpg
    AngryRedRocketDWG_paint_Guide.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 68
Here's an update: made a 'Mars Terrain' base, and trying to make it look like the rocket engines were sunk into the blast crater as seen in the film.
I'm very pleased with the result.
Still missing blue bands, but when finished, i'll add lots of soot on the base of the rocket to match the film!

Attachments

• Angry Red Rocket (4).jpg
    Angry Red Rocket (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
  • Angry Red Rocket (3).jpg
    Angry Red Rocket (3).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • Angry Red Rocket (2).jpg
    Angry Red Rocket (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
  • Angry Red Rocket (1).jpg
    Angry Red Rocket (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • Angry Red Planet 3.JPG
    Angry Red Planet 3.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 55
"What materials were used for your "surface"?"
The base is a piece of hobby 1/8" plywood. I found a Revell moon crater base in my stash :

REVELL - 04827 & H-1862 LUNAR BASE STAND FOR APOLLO 11 COLUMBIA & EAGLE 1:96

I altered it ALOT using Aves epoxy sculpt and glued it down to the plywood. The whole thing was painted with a heavy coat of Testors 'sand', then i sprinkled Mig ochre pigment all over it when it was still wet. The black soot around the blast crater was done with Texwipe TX 761 swabs & Tamiya weathering 'soot'.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back