Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Yes, but did Luke know people were looking for him? As far as I know he was just out doing his thing looking for the temple.

Now this isn't based on anything except for my perception of TFA (and just what I hope for VIII), but I sort of think that Luke was trying to block out everything going on in the universe outside the island planet (can't remember if it has a name). And Leia, I hope, doesn't use the force to move things, but just senses disturbances. That's also how I thought Maz should have been, and she might still be since they cut the scene where she collapses the roof. I really hope Rey is a Skywalker, because I just think the saga should follow the Skywalkers. Just my humble opinion...

Hearing John Williams being willing to keep returning to compose the music is music to my ears :love

Just wish they would return the recording bit to London Symphony Orchestra(!!)

Hearing John Williams being willing to keep returning to compose the music is music to my ears :love

Just wish they would return the recording bit to London Symphony Orchestra(!!)

I'm not sure if that was why the music didn't sound as good to me or not. I just wonder if they said he had to use their orchestra and wouldn't use the LSO.

I'm not sure if that was why the music didn't sound as good to me or not. I just wonder if they said he had to use their orchestra and wouldn't use the LSO.
I couldn't believe how disappointing the score was. Especially compared to the main trailer.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

TFA was the only SW film (not counting the CW cartoon movie) not to be recorded at Abbey Road with the LSO, Williams didn't feel up to the journey, & the upset of being away from home, don't blame him

So he put together a scratch orchestra to do the recording

J

In Bloodlines book it would seem Luke and Ben are searching but not able to communicate with Leia.
I don't remember there being a mention or hint of what they're doing during the events of Bloodline. IIRC, all it says is that Leia doesn't know where they are.

Who thought the score sounded very Harry Potterish.
Also disappointed that it wasn't up to London Philharmonic standards, didn't feel as full in the sound

I just wonder if they said he had to use their orchestra and wouldn't use the LSO.
Or it could be that the higher ups in the LSO won't let them travel. Or that they figured it wouldn't be cost-effective to pay the extra dough to bring them here for one, and for another to pay them what I assume would be higher wages.

Or it could be that the higher ups in the LSO won't let them travel. Or that they figured it wouldn't be cost-effective to pay the extra dough to bring them here for one, and for another to pay them what I assume would be higher wages.
We're talking disney money. A choice was made here, and it was by the people who made the movie.

I know that at the time, the producers thought that it wouldn't matter, but it really did. It was with me the second the opening crawl hit.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Back in '97, I got the lovely two-disc Special Edition soundtrack releases for the OT. Play the opening fanrares of each back to back to back, and even then the differences are glaringly obvious. The original one for Star Wars was good, Empire is perfect, and already with Jedi it becomes... muddy, for lack of a more fitting term. All the the sharp punchiness of Empire was gone for a slurred melange of brass. The Prequels weren't much better. TFA's fanfare was, in my opinion, better than any of the Prequels or Jedi, but not as good as Star Wars or Empire. All but this most recent were done by the LSO, but the orchestra is made up of individuals, who come and go over time, who are directed by a conductor who may -- on a particular day -- feel like there needs to be more bassoons in this run-through, for instance. So, orchestra and recording site don't matter all that much. It's much more what the conductor decides is the sound he's going for, and what the director or producer like the sound of best.

As for other scoring things... Empire and Raiders have a very, very similar feel, being recorded only about a year apart. I consider both to be Williams at about the top of his game. In Star Wars, he was unhappy with Vader's leitmotif theme, so reworked it to great effect for Empire. Although I wish he'd confined it a little more to Vader and his forces specifically, and less so to the Imperial forces in general -- particularly in the Prequels before Anakin had even become Vader. In Empire, he gave us the beginnings of a theme for the Falcon herself, which sadly seemed to have been utterly forgotten by Jedi. People have commented that some phrases from the music he did for Hook show up in the Harry Potter theme. I'll add to that and say listen to the Attack of the Clones score again -- it's lurking in some of the Anakin and Padme stuff. So all told, I'm happy with where we are with TFA, music-wise, though I do feel the sound quality could have been better. I don't know the breakdown of the Los Angeles orchestra he went with versus the LSO -- or even the breakdown of the LSO each of the times he used them in the past. But whatever was there for the recording of the score for Empire, I hope that's what's there (and what he uses, in proportion) for Episode VIII.

--Jonah

Yep,....if he can't fly to them,....fly them to him

J

With today's technology you shouldn't even have to fly anywhere. High quality "sound conference", since video wouldn't be that important :p

"If there is a will, there is a way"

TFA was the only SW film (not counting the CW cartoon movie) not to be recorded at Abbey Road with the LSO, Williams didn't feel up to the journey, & the upset of being away from home, don't blame him

So he put together a scratch orchestra to do the recording

J

Did not know that. Then my previous comment is even more valid! :p

Who thought the score sounded very Harry Potterish.
Also disappointed that it wasn't up to London Philharmonic standards, didn't feel as full in the sound

It definitely didn't, totally agree. I noticed it during the opening crawl after the SW logo disappeared along with my goosebumps, "there is something missing".

I loved the soundtrack.

Ben

Me too :) it was just missing that "something".

Back in '97, I got the lovely two-disc Special Edition soundtrack releases for the OT. Play the opening fanrares of each back to back to back, and even then the differences are glaringly obvious. The original one for Star Wars was good, Empire is perfect, and already with Jedi it becomes... muddy, for lack of a more fitting term. All the the sharp punchiness of Empire was gone for a slurred melange of brass.

The reason the score for ROTJ sounds so dumb could be the bad recordings on the 2-disc-set itself. You really should try to hear the ROTJ score that was released a few months ago. Although it is not the complete score, they remastered the old LP soundtrack. And what can I say... my all time favourite opening fanfare is now the ROTJ version. It has so much energy. Truly epic.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ul...66075239&sr=8-3&keywords=star+wars+soundtrack

Last edited:

The biggest difference between the LSO and the group that recorded TFA is that the LSO french horn section plays on Paxmans, and the group put together to record TFA plays Conn 8Ds. They're very different instruments. Not better or worse, just different. With this music being so dependant on the french horn, that alone makes a difference anyone can hear.

The trumpet section on TFA is hands down better than anything else recorded for SW to date, technically. Easily. As in, not even close. The opening fanfare in the PT had to be watered down from triple tonguing to double tonguing in order to be played cleanly by the LSO. Theses guys on TFA effing killed it. Out of the park.

The TFA soundtrack is a lot more complicated than what has come before. That's a general trend that every composer goes through. The simplicity of the original SW soundtrack is beautiful, but so is the complexity of TFA. But, they're different.

Finally, the recording style is different today. During the flute solo in Leia's theme in the original SW, you can hear the player taking breaths. That would never happen today. I actually kind of like that (the old school sound), as it makes the music human.

After the recording is made, the mixing process has a lot to do with what you hear in the theater. Also, I was thinking that we used to have the 20th Century Fox Fanfare during the LucasFilm logo, the the words Star Wars, then the crawl, so our ears and emotions were up for the whole experience before we were even into the opening crawl.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back