Was “Tropic Thunder” The Last True Comedy??

I agree, but it'll thankfully swing back.

The thing is, neither Mel Brooks nor SP are "offensive". People might be OFFENDED, but that's their issue, that's not indicative of an issue with the material.
But therein lies the rub. The issue isn't being offensive any more, but literally people claiming to be offended. And 99% of the time, it's without seeing the material they claim to be offended by. Tropic Thunder again would be a good example. People would see the trailer or simply a photo, or just hear RDJ is playing a black guy and @$%( would hit the fan. No one would watch and see it's an in-movie thing of a white guy playing a black guy and they actually look at that in a comedy.

Being in media has to suck anymore, you now have to worry about dealing with flack from things that aren't offensive, but clueless people will give you flack because they think they might be offended if they watch but want to forbid others from watching it to find out if it's offensive in the first place.

Things REALLY need to go back to 'if you don't like it, don't watch it' and leave it at that. I'm sick of people saying their opinion is more important that everyone else's. If you don't like something. That's fine. But it's my right to like it and not have to deal with you if i want to watch it. And you can expand that into whatever issue you like as well. You have a right to your opinion, but you don't have a right to force it on others.

But it's my right to like it and not have to deal with you if i want to watch it.

That's where you're wrong. You absolutely can like it, and good for you if you do, but you don't get to tell other people to go away so you can live in an echo chamber. You have to learn how to deal with dissenting opinions. That's something that a lot of people have lost these days.

That's where you're wrong. You absolutely can like it, and good for you if you do, but you don't get to tell other people to go away so you can live in an echo chamber. You have to learn how to deal with dissenting opinions. That's something that a lot of people have lost these days.
Not quite what i meant. I wasnt reverring to boards, but more world at large and those who would rather ban things. Much more live and let live than anuthing else. There will always be haters, but you dont have the right to interfere with someone watching something. Wanna complain on a message board fine. There is a difference between discourse/ discussion, and hate/trying to pee in others cheerios. One is fine, one is not.

I have no problem with discussion if it is legit. I can hear why someone doesnt like something, doesnt bother me. The other though, different story.

Not quite what i meant. I wasnt reverring to boards, but more world at large and those who would rather ban things. Much more live and let live than anuthing else. There will always be haters, but you dont have the right to interfere with someone watching something. Wanna complain on a message board fine. There is a difference between discourse/ discussion, and hate/trying to pee in others cheerios. One is fine, one is not.

I have no problem with discussion if it is legit. I can hear why someone doesnt like something, doesnt bother me. The other though, different story.
That's fine then. I just see so many people who want to live in an echo chamber and banish anyone who has a dissenting view from reality, because they don't want to hear it.

Sorry, nobody cares what anyone doesn't want to hear. That's not how reality works.

It's funny you point out Tropic Thunder and the talk turns to being about offending people or not. That flick took flack and RDJ took some flack for that role. Today?? the amount of rage directed at something like that would be in the 300ft tsunami range.

On the whole, though, i'm not sure it's offending or not offending is the problem today. Seems like with politics there's no middle ground anymore, it's either way way way over the top of a comedy or it's so undersold you can't tell it's a comedy. No one knows how to find the center ground it seems. It's gotten to the point it seems studio's don't want to do it if it isn't way over the top, and if they see it's way over the top they don't want to do it because they figure it won't make a ton. They backed themselves into a corner, so nothing that's true comedy can get through the door.
When you put warnings and change the ratings of classics (Mary Poppins as an example) because someone is using "language" or "violence" then you've lost me completely. The hijacking of the "I-feel-triggered-offended-crowd" hasn't reached its crescendo yet:eek::eek::eek::sick::sick::sick::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It's the mob-sheep view!

I actually disagree on the ratings thing.

I don't see the big deal about changing it for modern times. I'd much rather see the ratings change than see the art itself changed or banned.

But I would vote to list both ratings together. Display the new and the original.

When you put warnings and change the ratings of classics (Mary Poppins as an example) because someone is using "language" or "violence" then you've lost me completely. The hijacking of the "I-feel-triggered-offended-crowd" hasn't reached its crescendo yet:eek::eek::eek::sick::sick::sick::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It's the mob-sheep view!

I believe that is what is referred to as the “infantilization” of contemporary audiences.

Treat your audience like children and they will increasingly act like children in return.

I don't see the big deal about changing it for modern times. I'd much rather see the ratings change than see the art itself changed or banned.

But I would vote to list both ratings together. Display the new and the original.
Things should be getting more free, not less free, but both political extremes want less freedom, not more freedom. That's why both extremes need to go away. Things need to be less restrictive, nor more.

People honestly need to grow the hell up.

Are we getting less free (in the media rating systems) or just different?

These days tons of PG-13 movies have levels of violence and general tones that would have been R-rated in the 1990s. The MPAA seems to have decided that almost any amount of brutality is clear for PG-13 as long as they don't show blood or gore.

Then I turn on the TV (free antenna channels) and I see half-dissected bodies in extreme gory detail on those CSI crime shows all the time. It boggles my mind how that stuff has become allowed. In the last century they couldn't have shown half that much.

Not saying I agree with these shifts. Just pointing them out.

I mean "you can't talk about this" and "you can't talk about that" and "you can't offend anyone on our side of the political aisle or else!" There should be LESS censorship as time goes on, not more and all we're getting from both extremes is more.

Saw that today. I wonder what percentage of viewers know that word (i didnt), and of those who then knew it could be offensive? .0001%?

Tropic Thunder is pure genius. It's weird because the cast is made of a few people I typically don't care for- Jack Black, RDJ, Ben Stiller. Somehow they're all perfect together.

I would've said Step Brothers but I think it came out right before Tropic Thunder if I remember correctly. For the most part you're right, it's difficult to find genuinely funny comedies since then.

Yeah this movie was hilarious but got alot of flak.

At the time, it was directed at Stiller for Simple Jack and for using the R-word along with the "difference" needed to win an oscar. The whole point was mocking Hollywood for their biased views but I guess that went over the advocates heads.

RDJ did start to get some flak in 2020 or so when this movie was "rediscovered" and I remember some people talking about how they were outraged that RDJ did "blackface." Also probably didnt see the movie or they would have known the joke.

But RDJ basically thinks comedies like Tropic Thunder cant really be done today following his talk with Joe in 2020.

I think/hope people are dialing back on this over-sensitivity. I do think these political movements are often a pendulum and its swinging back. People do get sick of being infantilized and the people screaming about this are always a tiny minority seeking attention/infamy to then monetize off of.

However, I doubt we will see movies like this in theaters anymore, at least from Hollywood. Hollywood is under the assumption that people only go to the theaters to watch big spectacles like MCU movies or Oppenheimer and wont go to watch something like American Pie (which probably is true). These movies likely will continue to be made but just go straight to streaming.

For film (prop) enthusiasts, you all don't seem to see many films. I can think of three comedies off the top of my head... Just from Nicolas Cage! To paraphrase Twain, "the reports of comedy's death have been greatly exaggerated".

No, they don't all rise to the level of "Blazing Saddles " or "Tropic Thunder". Were they slapstick, laugh out loud, and pee your pants hilarious ? Maybe not. But were they funny, mostly entertaining, and worth the price of admission? Absolutely.

Like it or not, we're living in the age of overcorrection. Some words, ideas, and topics are just off limits. But that doesn't mean movies (and comedians) can't still be funny. The humor just needs to be more subtle. Thoughtful. Not the screwball antics or "d**k and fart jokes" of a Kevin Smith romp.

Maybe things will change. Maybe they won't. I just think it's a little premature to mourn the death of comedy.

I'm waiting for ratings at a museum: "Warning, the painting titled "Mona Lisa" portrays an enigmatic smiling woman that might, or not, mock the spectators looking at her":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suppose that if we were tweaking ratings of older films to fit modern ratings guidelines, I MIGHT be on-board with it.
I had a discussion the other day with some relatives and friends about older, "R-rated" films that would probably be a PG-13 at WORST these days.
Since I know some people who refuse to watch a film with an R-rating but I'd like to be able to talk about Terminator 2 with these... otherwise reasonable people... I'd be fine with adjusting the ratings to match other films of the modern age.
But, that said, I don't want older films given stricter ratings because of things that some people whinge over online.
I'm not a fan of the adjustments Disney has made to films on D+...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back