Was “Tropic Thunder” The Last True Comedy??

I do think the raunchy American Pie/Euro trip or even the Judd Appatow films have taken a backseat. There are still good comedies like Game Night but the raunchy stupid young sex-crazed college students story seems to have died down.

It could be a reflection of the times. Gen X and Z are apparently less sexual and given how competitive and expensive college has become, the thought of students just wasting money and time on pleasure trips may seem "unrealistic" now. Doesnt hurt that modern comedies seem to focus on older protagonists as well which could also reflect the fact that the population in modernized countries are aging so general audiences would rather see young adults or even older adults as the center focus or writers being older and writing "what they know". Even though it wasnt funny, Bros could have been set in college about a young man discovering his sexuality but was set with an older man.

First of all: "Game Night" rules! (No pun intended)

But beyond that? I think you've mischaracterized Gen Y,Z, and millennials somewhat. While college costs are a concern, it's been offset by the idea that Uncle Joe and his ilk will forgive that debt. They're spending the same as they ever did, just differently. Rather than acquiring things, they seek experiences.

And regarding sexuality? I just saw "Drive Away Dolls". While the main thrust of the narrative is a road trip/crime romp, there is a parallel plot exploring the protagonists' orientation. I don't know if it qualifies as "raunchy", but there is a lot of graphic content. A lot. Pushing the boundaries of the R rating. It's practically soft core. Also, while it's not preachy, there is some subtle girls good/boys bad messaging (though that may just be my take on it).

Maybe it's the exception rather than the rule, but it's fair indication that while the raunchy comedy may have changed with the times, it's not extinct. Not yet anyway.

Something else to consider, streaming has impacted what kinds of movies are made in a significant way. Matt Damon gives a succinct summary in his Hot Ones episode. Basically the only movies that get financed these days are your big tentpole films and your Oscar bait movies (ironically enough, both spoofed in Tropic Thunder). You used to be able to make your budget back on DVD sales, but you don't have that anymore, so you can only rely on your box office take. It's a much bigger gamble for those financing the film.

The mid-budget movies, like comedies, don't get made because they're riskier financially.

The value proposition for anything that's not an epic tentpole film isn't there. Seeing your big action set-piece movie on a giant screen enhances the entertainment. However, a big screen doesn't enhance a comedy in the same way, so audiences would rather stay home and watch a comedy on a streaming service.

undefined - Imgur.gif

I feel the same way about Four Lions as I do Tropic Thunder, a barrel of laughs that can't be contained.

The mid-budget movies, like comedies, don't get made because they're riskier financially.

This is something that Hollywood has done to itself though. They have no one to blame but themselves. As we see these days, almost all giant tentpole movies fail at the box office. They lose hundreds of millions of dollars because that's how much Hollywood decides, on their own, to sink into them. It's their fault. Hollywood allows politics to get in the way of making quality movies that have a demonstrably paying audience and then they blame the audience for not taking their political screed up the backside. Whose fault is that? At least if they made lower-budget movies, there isn't as much to lose. Even if nobody went to see a $50 million movie, they only lost $50 million, whereas when a $300 million film flops, they've lost $300 million. This is common sense, but since when has Hollywood had any of that?

You can't do art in a bubble of restriction, if somebody is offended by a movie or show so what ... I don't care ! Just go full throttle and ignore all the weakling fake comments ! The attention seeking brats that claim offence should get no say in how an artist expresses their chosen field ! Comedy must get free space !

This is something that Hollywood has done to itself though. They have no one to blame but themselves. As we see these days, almost all giant tentpole movies fail at the box office. They lose hundreds of millions of dollars because that's how much Hollywood decides, on their own, to sink into them. It's their fault. Hollywood allows politics to get in the way of making quality movies that have a demonstrably paying audience and then they blame the audience for not taking their political screed up the backside. Whose fault is that? At least if they made lower-budget movies, there isn't as much to lose. Even if nobody went to see a $50 million movie, they only lost $50 million, whereas when a $300 million film flops, they've lost $300 million. This is common sense, but since when has Hollywood had any of that?

Please watch Matt Damon explain it. Don't misinterpret my mangling of what he is trying to explain.

I don't want older films given stricter ratings because of things that some people whinge over online.

The Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, got a PG rating, vs the G of the original. The restoration team actually wanted that to happen because of the negative connotation G rated films have today. The more ominous nature of the remastered soundtrack was cited as a possible reason.

Simple Jack lampoons the cliches of so many films…

Yeah. Oscar bait is real. You make a movie about world war 2 or someone with special needs overcoming some struggle (usually being a parent or living semi-independently) and you have a high chance of winning that gold statue. I think we can add LGBT and/or minority rising from poverty in the "bait" category (Moonlight, King Richard, Slumdog, etc.)

First of all: "Game Night" rules! (No pun intended)

But beyond that? I think you've mischaracterized Gen Y,Z, and millennials somewhat. While college costs are a concern, it's been offset by the idea that Uncle Joe and his ilk will forgive that debt. They're spending the same as they ever did, just differently. Rather than acquiring things, they seek experiences.

And regarding sexuality? I just saw "Drive Away Dolls". While the main thrust of the narrative is a road trip/crime romp, there is a parallel plot exploring the protagonists' orientation. I don't know if it qualifies as "raunchy", but there is a lot of graphic content. A lot. Pushing the boundaries of the R rating. It's practically soft core. Also, while it's not preachy, there is some subtle girls good/boys bad messaging (though that may just be my take on it).

Maybe it's the exception rather than the rule, but it's fair indication that while the raunchy comedy may have changed with the times, it's not extinct. Not yet anyway.
I dont know. Ive just seen a general death of the American Pie/Euro Trip/Road Trip comedy where the only thing guys care about is sex and the goal of the movie is to basically get laid or something stupid.

I honestly havent seen Drive Away Dolls but seeing the trailer, it doesnt seem raunchy. Also seems kind of dark and depressing with death looming constantly close-by compared to something like Dude, Where my Car? where everything is super bright and happy.

Yeah. Oscar bait is real. You make a movie about world war 2 or someone with special needs overcoming some struggle (usually being a parent or living semi-independently) and you have a high chance of winning that gold statue. I think we can add LGBT and/or minority rising from poverty in the "bait" category (Moonlight, King Richard, Slumdog, etc.)

I dont know. Ive just seen a general death of the American Pie/Euro Trip/Road Trip comedy where the only thing guys care about is sex and the goal of the movie is to basically get laid or something stupid.

I honestly havent seen Drive Away Dolls but seeing the trailer, it doesnt seem raunchy. Also seems kind of dark and depressing with death looming constantly close-by compared to something like Dude, Where my Car? where everything is super bright and happy.
Yeah, I got the same impression from the trailer. We were both wrong. The girls' orientation figures prominently in the movie's narrative. At one point during the movie I turned to my friend and literally said, "Sorry, I didn't know there was so much lesbian stuff".

And while there is several deaths in the movie, it's still an upbeat, light hearted romp. Far less silly than "Dude...", but still fun.

Last edited:
How about hot tub time machine. That was pretty old school ,T&A Booze and idiots in an absurd situation !
Obliterated on Netflix was very raunchy too with a lot more nudity than I've seen from anything else that I've seen in recent years. The show had an '80s level of nudity with all but one of the main female cast having a topless scene.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back