Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

The conductor has a lot to do with it as well, and Williams only conducted parts of the TFA score.

In the notes on the original SW soundtrack Williams specifically mentioned English horns, which may have had an effect on the sound compared to French horns.

TFA was the only SW film (not counting the CW cartoon movie) not to be recorded at Abbey Road with the LSO, Williams didn't feel up to the journey, & the upset of being away from home, don't blame him

I think he's earned it!

The conductor has a lot to do with it as well, and Williams only conducted parts of the TFA score.

In the notes on the original SW soundtrack Williams specifically mentioned English horns, which may have had an effect on the sound compared to French horns.
An english horn is nothing like a french horn: it has more in common with an oboe. You can hear them used quite eloquently on Leia's Theme in the original.

I absolutely love the version played by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
They use Vienna Horns which sound best imho.
They're certainly different than the Paxman horn, that's for sure. The whole Vienna Philharmonic is kind of an odd duck; they play on very unique instruments, and they tune to A443 (or higher) as opposed to A440. Tough to compare them to anything else. IMO, the trumpets in the VP are nothing like the hired guns that played TFA - those guys were fantastic.
(edit: "those guys" = trumpeters on TFA soundtrack)

Finally, the recording style is different today. During the flute solo in Leia's theme in the original SW, you can hear the player taking breaths. That would never happen today. I actually kind of like that (the old school sound), as it makes the music human.

I think Leia's theme from ANH is easily among my favorite SW soundtrack songs of all time, *specifically* for its flute sound.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I know this is turning into a John Williams thread,....but I've got to chip in with my favourite 2 JW themes,....'The Map Room, Dawn' from Raiders,....but beating it to the top is 'Imperial Attack' from Star Wars,....especially near the end,...when Artoo & Threepio set sail on the Escape pod......."The damage doesn't look as bad from out here".....the way the score sweeps makes the hairs stand up on my neck

Beautiful

J

I disagree about the ROTJ soundtrack. I love the song when the Rebel Fleet is attacking the Death Star (I *think* it's titled "Into the Trap" on the soundtrack).

I really like the Prequel soundtracks as well, but something wasn't there with TFA.

I disagree about the ROTJ soundtrack. I love the song when the Rebel Fleet is attacking the Death Star (I *think* it's titled "Into the Trap" on the soundtrack).

I really like the Prequel soundtracks as well, but something wasn't there with TFA.

I agree about TFA. The music just didn't "feel" like Star Wars or sound quite right. It was fine. But, not quite the emotiona anchor that it was with the OT and Raiders films. Not quite up to snuff. In a few spots, it even felt out of place to me, like the resistance attack on the first order at Maz's castle. I love JW, but I haven't felt moved by any of his scores since Saving Private Ryan. You can't hit home runs forever.

Do we know whether JJ told Williams to "come up with a new sound" for this film? Maybe that is why it only really feels SW when the familiar leitmotifs are woven through; like when it is revealed that Kylo is talking to Vader's destroyed helmet and the Vader theme is run through. Gave me chills.

Do we know whether JJ told Williams to "come up with a new sound" for this film? Maybe that is why it only really feels SW when the familiar leitmotifs are woven through; like when it is revealed that Kylo is talking to Vader's destroyed helmet and the Vader theme is run through. Gave me chills.

The idea that JJ was trying to break from established SW traditions in any way never occurred to me while watching TFA... :lol

The idea that JJ was trying to break from established SW traditions in any way never occurred to me while watching TFA... :lol

Na....don't think he was

Here's a mix of the opening of ESB OST then blending into the TFA soundtrack after the crawl.....more POWER!!:

[video=vimeo;150767206]https://vimeo.com/150767206[/video]

J

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back