Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
If Sad Luke in exile was what upset fans, we would have rioted after TFA. Force disconnection, his desire to destroy the Jedi temple and the Order, turning Ben to the dark side by trying to murder him in his sleep, refusing to train Rey in good faith: these are the elements Rian brought to the table, and that's the stuff people were most upset by. It's not what Lucas planned, or Mark wouldn't have had such an issue with it. He said TLJ was "vastly different" from what Lucas had in mind.

This is what you would like to believe. But the factual truth is, people that worked on or around TFA and TLJ have said otherwise. On multiple occasions.

And Mark would have disagreed, just like he did with Rian. But he didn't know about this stuff. Remember it was Michael Arndt who came to the conclusion that every time Luke showed up he kinda took over. It was his suggestion that timeline be shifted back, so Luke becomes the thing everyone is looking for. But isn't discovered until the end.

And this isn't the first time Mark had been at odds with the director. He didn't think Luke should have been tempted by the Dark Side in ROTJ. He questioned why George had him wearing all black.

And finally do you really think that after the treatment that George got because of the prequels. He really cared if the fans rioted? After the sour reception that TMP got, George decided to ignore the angry fans and just make the movies he wanted.

This is what you would like to believe. But the factual truth is, people that worked on or around TFA and TLJ have said otherwise. On multiple occasions.

If your position is that Luke in TLJ was something that George planned, you're simply wrong. And everyone involved in the sequel trilogy has said as much.

Mark:

"I happen to know that George didn't kill Luke until the end of [Episode] 9, after he trained Leia. Which is another thread that was never played upon [in The Last Jedi]. George had an overall arc – if he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the [sequel trilogy was] going – but this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes."

Mark:

"That's the difference here, in the old days there was an overall outline, this one's more like a relay race where the first guy runs the race and hands the torch off. J.J. now is going to take Rian's story and figure it all out. So it's interesting. The new trilogy will be different because Rian will have an overall outline for all three films."

Mark:

“What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,’ ‘8,’ and ‘9’. And it is vastly different to what they have done.”

George:

"The ones that I sold to Disney, they came up to the decision that they didn't really want to do those. So they made up their own. So it's not the ones that I originally wrote."

George:

"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans.' People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"

JJ:

"I came on board and Disney had already decided they didn’t want to go that(Lucas') direction, so the mandate was to start from scratch."

Kasdan:

“We didn’t have anything. There were a thousand people waiting for answers on things, and you couldn’t tell them anything except ‘yeah, that guy’s in it.’ That was about it. That was really all we knew.”

KK:

"George had done a sketch of the story he had in mind, but that was done for the sale of the company. It wasn't really a document to sit down and start developing a movie from."

Rian:

"We were working off of The Force Awakens, but it’s not like there was a blueprint for what happens after The Force Awakens. There wasn’t at all. It was literally just me reading the script, and then thinking, what happens next?"

Rian:

"There wasn’t some kind of rigid plan in place for where the story went after The Force Awakens. It was very open-ended. And so it was very much reading the script for TFA, watching the dailies, as they were shooting, and just saying “Ok, what happens next?”

Rian:

“[JJ] was really gracious, in just stepping back and giving us a blank slate to work with. The starting point was The Force Awakens script, which is quite a big, expansive, wonderful starting point. In that way, we are drawing directly from his work. But from that point forward it was a blank canvas.”

Give me even 5 quotes of people that worked on these movies saying ideas that Rian has claimed credit for actually came from George Lucas. I won't hold my breath.

If your position is that Luke in TLJ was something that George planned, you're simply wrong. And everyone involved in the sequel trilogy has said as much.

Mark:

"I happen to know that George didn't kill Luke until the end of [Episode] 9, after he trained Leia. Which is another thread that was never played upon [in The Last Jedi]. George had an overall arc – if he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the [sequel trilogy was] going – but this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes."

Mark:

"That's the difference here, in the old days there was an overall outline, this one's more like a relay race where the first guy runs the race and hands the torch off. J.J. now is going to take Rian's story and figure it all out. So it's interesting. The new trilogy will be different because Rian will have an overall outline for all three films."

Mark:

“What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,’ ‘8,’ and ‘9’. And it is vastly different to what they have done.”

George:

"The ones that I sold to Disney, they came up to the decision that they didn't really want to do those. So they made up their own. So it's not the ones that I originally wrote."

George:

"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans.' People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"

JJ:

"I came on board and Disney had already decided they didn’t want to go that(Lucas') direction, so the mandate was to start from scratch."

Kasdan:

“We didn’t have anything. There were a thousand people waiting for answers on things, and you couldn’t tell them anything except ‘yeah, that guy’s in it.’ That was about it. That was really all we knew.”

KK:

"George had done a sketch of the story he had in mind, but that was done for the sale of the company. It wasn't really a document to sit down and start developing a movie from."

Rian:

"We were working off of The Force Awakens, but it’s not like there was a blueprint for what happens after The Force Awakens. There wasn’t at all. It was literally just me reading the script, and then thinking, what happens next?"

Rian:

"There wasn’t some kind of rigid plan in place for where the story went after The Force Awakens. It was very open-ended. And so it was very much reading the script for TFA, watching the dailies, as they were shooting, and just saying “Ok, what happens next?”

Rian:

“[JJ] was really gracious, in just stepping back and giving us a blank slate to work with. The starting point was The Force Awakens script, which is quite a big, expansive, wonderful starting point. In that way, we are drawing directly from his work. But from that point forward it was a blank canvas.”

Give me even 5 quotes of people that worked on these movies saying ideas that Rian has claimed credit for actually came from George Lucas. I won't hold my breath.

“My first image I made for #StarWars: #TheForceAwakens. This was January of 2013. Luke was being described as a Col. Kurtz type hiding from the world in a cave... I got a George “Fabulouso” on it to boot.” - Lucasfilm design supervisor Christian Alzmann

And here's a conversation from Twitter

"So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Luke in The Last Jedi was fairly consistent with, or at least inspired by Lucas's vision?"

"I would say so, yes. I worked on TFA from pretty much the very beginning and was present at the January 16, 2013 meeting at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas that Christian mentions here (and that is described in greater detail in The Art of The Last Jedi)"- Phil Szostak

And I can't seem to find it. But Pablo Hildago also said they started with George's stuff.

And to be honest I don't know what Mark is talking about. It sounds like talking about Legends. I saw an interview with George, done a few years before the sale. Where he said there was no plans for episodes 7,8, and 9. But go back to the 80's and you find Mark and others talking about movies that were planned for after ROTJ.

You can use a little Sherlock Holmes deductive reasoning and see that this stuff came from George. From the very beginning Luke was hiding at the location of the first Jedi temple. I'm talking even before JJ or Lawrence came on. Luke was hiding away even in Michael Arndt first drafts, which he started writing from George's notes. Lawrence Kasdan said that in a little get together with Kathleen and George a couple of months before the sale.
-Now in 2012, he’s saying, “Will you come up and have a meeting.” With Kathy, who I had been friends with for 40 years, and so I went up and we talked and it was great to be back at the ranch. They said, “We want to do” — there’s no Disney in this conversation yet — and they said, “We want to revive the franchise and we’ve got some ideas.” And they had a bunch of ideas that George had written out very briefly. I said “Well, I don’t think so,” and they said Michael Arndt has been hired to write the next Star Wars. I said, “Well, that sounds great. He’s really talented.” - A Portrait of the Scoundrel as a Young Man: Writers Lawrence and Jonathan Kasdan on Solo: A Star Wars Story | StarWars.com

Continuing that deductive reasoning its easy to see how Rey came from the female protagonist for the first movie, before George gender swapped and named the character Luke Starkiller.

Could it be that both of you are right? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, George's plans for the sequels were to happen some years after ROTJ (with Luke training Leia, Han and Leia having children or whatever etc) but the Disney stuff comes in fact several years after that (both in SW timeline and real life, the actors being way older and all... I guess that's why they ruled out George's plans from the very beginning)... Maybe that's why George had a totally different plan yet still says "fabulouso" to the idea of a hermit Luke, insofar as the Disney stuff happens way after his planned storyline.
After all we've seen Leia use the Force for example (yeah, flying Leia I know...), or the fact Ben Solo exists and Han and Leia are divorced: a lot of stuff has happen that we don't know about, so it could be consistent with George's vision. It's sad we'll never get to see it though... ah! if he had made the sequels instead of the prequels during the 90's :mad: :D

Could it be that both of you are right? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, George's plans for the sequels were to happen some years after ROTJ (with Luke training Leia, Han and Leia having children or whatever etc) but the Disney stuff comes in fact several years after that (both in SW timeline and real life, the actors being way older and all... I guess that's why they ruled out George's plans from the very beginning)... Maybe that's why George had a totally different plan yet still says "fabulouso" to the idea of a hermit Luke, insofar as the Disney stuff happens way after his planned storyline.
After all we've seen Leia use the Force for example (yeah, flying Leia I know...), or the fact Ben Solo exists and Han and Leia are divorced: a lot of stuff has happen that we don't know about, so it could be consistent with George's vision. It's sad we'll never get to see it though... ah! if he had made the sequels instead of the prequels during the 90's :mad: :D

Indeed I think we both maybe seeing glimpses of the truth. Just from other ends of the tunnel.

Back in 80's I believe there's that interview with Mark where he's talking about George asking him if he'd want to play Luke again in future when he's older.

Fast forward to after ROTS(I may be wrong about this, can't seem to find it) and someone asks George if there's going to be a 7, 8, and 9. To which he says , 'No, 1-6 was it'.

Now move to 2012, where Lawrence Kasdan in his meeting with George and Kathy, says that George had all these ideas. But that he'd hired Michael Arndt to write episode 7. Michael writing ep 7 presumably from Lucas's notes. Then on October 30th, 2012, George sells Lucasfilm to Disney. November 1st Rick Carter meets with George. January 9th 2013, the Rick Carter calls together the Art department to meet with Michael Arndt , JJ Abrams , Kiri Hart, Rayne Roberts, Kim Libreri, Jason McGatlin, and Dave Filoni, to get their first insight into the direction of the story.

After that point, working off of Michael's current draft the art department starts working on concept art for Luke, Han, Leia, "Jedi Killer" (who is later decided to be Han's son) and to new young characters, Kira and Sam. (Rey and Finn). It would have been at the January 9th meeting where Luke is said to be inspired by Colonel Kurtz, a broken disillusioned man, hiding in a cave.(which now make sense why Doug Chiang did a bald Luke concept) Then on January 24th the big meeting comes, the only one with George. He seems to approve of the broken "Colonel Kurtz" Luke ideas.

So how can we rectify that fact that George said they threw out his ideas? Well they did to some degree. Firstly they shift the timeline back (Michael Arndt's idea) so Luke isn't seen until the end of TFA. And we know now that George wanted to dive head first into exploring midi-chlorians and the Whills. But because of the way fans reacted to them previously, they tell George that they don't want to deal with that stuff. So yeah they did throw some of his stuff out, and tabled a lot of other stuff until TLJ.

-EDIT- Rick met with George on December 12th not November 1st

Last edited:
Why does it matter whether it's what Lucas planned? I don't personally give a ****, except insofar as I don't really trust Lucas' storytelling instincts if he isn't surrounded by other creative folks who are able to rein in his worst impulses -- which, these days, is no one.

If you like TLJ, you like it for its own merits. If you dislike TLJ, you dislike it not because it deviated from what Lucas planned, but because you dislike some other aspect or aspects of it. If you dislike TLJ simply because Lucas didn't write it, then you were never going to like anything in the ST, and you should save your money by not going to any Star Wars film again, and save your sanity by not bothering to post about it online anywhere. But I don't actually think people dislike it because Lucas didn't write it; what they dislike is that it didn't tell the kind of story they wanted to see. Which, coincidentally, is exactly why I dislike the PT by and large.

Side note: George's idea that "It's actually a soap opera"? Exhibit A for why I'm glad he's not writing more Star Wars stories. It's not a soap opera. It's an adventure story that needs to have an emotional core to it. Those two aren't the same thing. George is a great big-picture idea guy. He either loses it in the details, or he ends up really unhappy because people keep telling him "No, George. That's a really dumb idea." And that's fine. All of those things are FANTASTIC reasons to get out of movie making and go do something else that makes you happy.

Why does it matter whether it's what Lucas planned? I don't personally give a ****, except insofar as I don't really trust Lucas' storytelling instincts if he isn't surrounded by other creative folks who are able to rein in his worst impulses -- which, these days, is no one.

If you like TLJ, you like it for its own merits. If you dislike TLJ, you dislike it not because it deviated from what Lucas planned, but because you dislike some other aspect or aspects of it. If you dislike TLJ simply because Lucas didn't write it, then you were never going to like anything in the ST, and you should save your money by not going to any Star Wars film again, and save your sanity by not bothering to post about it online anywhere. But I don't actually think people dislike it because Lucas didn't write it; what they dislike is that it didn't tell the kind of story they wanted to see. Which, coincidentally, is exactly why I dislike the PT by and large.

Side note: George's idea that "It's actually a soap opera"? Exhibit A for why I'm glad he's not writing more Star Wars stories. It's not a soap opera. It's an adventure story that needs to have an emotional core to it. Those two aren't the same thing. George is a great big-picture idea guy. He either loses it in the details, or he ends up really unhappy because people keep telling him "No, George. That's a really dumb idea." And that's fine. All of those things are FANTASTIC reasons to get out of movie making and go do something else that makes you happy.

Star Wars is an epic Space Opera, that's about one really really messed up family. That includes a virgin birth, forbidden love, child murder, unknowing incest, uxoricide, amicicide, attempted prolicide, and attempted nepoticide, and patricide. And a soap opera is an ongoing drama. So George is right.

Let us not forget that George's character ideas also brought us Jar Jar Binks... & Greedo shooting first. So, IF it was his idea to have Luke turn into a cave dwelling coward, may he enjoy his retirement in peace.
That said, I wholeheartedly agree with Solo4114. George is a great big-picture idea guy. Small character details, & writing, however, not so much. I think he's a great producer, & a pretty good editor. He's a visionary when it comes to technical advancements (visual, audio, ect). The problem was, he became so big, he got rid of the people who would say to him "No George. That's a really dumb idea."
I'm not a fan of either TFA or TLJ. TFA could (& should) have been saved by TLJ, however, both were destroyed by it. By the way, I don't blame George, at all, for this new trilogy's failures. I do blame Kathleen Kennedy (how is she not fired), JJ Abrams (a little), Rian Johnson (a lot), & Disney, however.
Like ANH, TFA introduced me to new characters. UN-like ESB, TLJ made me not care about what happens to them.

Agree, just to clarify I stated it was sad we didn't get to see a sequel in the 90's (or early 2000s) because the OT actors would have been younger but I don't particularly care about George's vision, nor do I think anybody really does, about that or the whys and wherefores of things that will never happen or can't be changed: it was just a speculative exercice to help settle what seemed to me a misunderstanding between two seemingly opposed speculative viewpoints that could speculativelly be made to agree :D I don't know, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut, given that there's so much veteran people that know way more than me about all this stuff wanting this thread to be buried in the dust of history, but I don't believe in that you like it or you don't - pick a side dichotomy. Besides, what are we going to talk about in this dry stretch without new movies until dec 2019?:rolleyes:

Star Wars is an epic Space Opera, that's about one really really messed up family. That includes a virgin birth, forbidden love, child murder, unknowing incest, uxoricide, amicicide, attempted prolicide, and attempted nepoticide, and patricide. And a soap opera is an ongoing drama. So George is right.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but Star Wars isn't really about that in my opinion. Space Opera, yes. Soap Opera, no. A soap opera is primarily about the character relationships with each other, and is heavily, heavily plot-driven (which may seem counter-intuitive, but actually isn't. The plot is the character interactions with each other, but the needs of the plot dictate the nature of the characters at any given time). A space opera is about the adventure itself. Flash Gordon travels to Mongo to defeat Ming the Merciless and save Earth, not to explore the love triangle between himself, Dale Arden, and Princess Aura, nor to explore the difficult relationship between Aura and Ming himself, nor Doctor Zarkhov's desires to use science to solve the world's problems. The point of a space adventure isn't the character interactions; it's the adventure they go on.

You want there to be well defined characters, though, because that gives the story its emotional core, which in turn gives the story weight and allows people to connect to it. That's the difference between Star Wars (1977) and Michael Bayformers: one has an emotional core to it, and the other is just about giant robots punching each other. Strip out the emotional core, though, and it's about spaceships and laser guns and guys with laser swords hitting each other, like every other Star Wars knockoff that followed its release.

So, George is right insofar as what he's trying to say is "If the story is nothing more than spaceships blowing each other up, that's really boring. You need an emotional core for the story to really matter." But if he's saying "It's really just Days of Our Lives in space," he's dead wrong.

In fact, I don't think he's actually saying the latter. I think what he means to say is the former. But I actually think that this incident itself helps to illustrate why George is a better "big ideas" guy: when you start getting into the details, he loses it. And actually, that can even be exacerbated by people like Rick McCallum, as opposed to being mitigated by people like Gary Kurtz.

Look at it this way.

George says a thing. In this case, it's "Star Wars is really a soap opera about a family."

Gary would've said, "Erm...what George means to say is that it's more than just a special effects extravaganza. It's a story with an emotional core grounded in the familial connection between several characters, both in terms of actual bloodlines and in terms of the de facto family they form as a result of their experiences with each other." Then he would've helped make the film they were working on remain a thrilling adventure tale, but which had the additional weight of emotional resonance thanks to the familial relationships.

Rick would've said, "Exactly. It's a soap opera." Then he would've made a movie that cobbles together the plots of several different episodes of Guiding Light, Days of Our Lives, and General Hospital, just on sci-fi digital sets. Oh, also, there'd be a spaceship battle in the background of one scene. And none of it would've held together all that well.

It's the same "idea" from George at the core of each story, but whereas one person interprets George's statement to try to create the story that is (1) qualitatively better, and (2) probably more what George wanted to do, the other person takes George's statement and simply does exactly what George says in the literal sense, and just wants to make it happy, because George says that makes him happy....right up until he realizes that audiences can't stand what he's doing and he decides to quit making movies altogether.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why George had a totally different plan yet still says "fabulouso" to the idea of a hermit Luke, insofar as the Disney stuff happens way after his planned storyline.

Just because George approved an image of a Luke in exile, doesn't mean his idea was for Luke to send his nephew to the dark side by trying to murder him in his sleep, or stop being a Jedi, or disconnecting from the Force. George's plan called for Luke to train Kira in good faith, and leave the island with her to join the fight. Force disconnection wasn't even a part of TFA, JJ had do scrap a plan to have Luke levitating boulders with the force because it ran counter to Rian's concept of Luke.

Why does it matter whether it's what Lucas planned?

To me it matters because some people, and myriads of websites, are basically saying "You didn't like Luke in TLJ? That was George's vision, btw." Which is simply false. Luke in exile is not what made fans upset. If it was, we would have been upset after TFA, since it spells out that reality. It's the way it was handled and specifically what Rian brought to the table that was most people's issue. Attempting to blame that on George, who has been very clear that Disney discarded his ideas for the ST, is just not right.

Just because George approved an image of a Luke in exile, doesn't mean his idea was for Luke to send his nephew to the dark side by trying to murder him in his sleep, or stop being a Jedi, or disconnecting from the Force. George's plan called for Luke to train Kira in good faith, and leave the island with her to join the fight. Force disconnection wasn't even a part of TFA, JJ had do scrap a plan to have Luke levitating boulders with the force because it ran counter to Rian's concept of Luke.

Some of those things like the Force disconnection and the temptation to murder Ben, were probably Rian's. As a way to understand why Luke had abandoned his friends.

But I have to say, the more I look into this the more I get the feeling that JJ and Rian toned Luke way down from the original idea.

And if you follow where the ideas come from, like following a river to its source. The source is George Lucas.

The first round, if you will, of concept art stems from the January 9th meeting, with JJ, Michael, Rick, Dave, and others. I'm guessing this when the art department is told that Luke was being inspired by Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. They also probably got what ever Michael had written up to that point. So we can see that this notion of a really broken Luke comes from Michael Arndt.

So where'd Michael get the idea? Probably George Lucas. We know that sometime in 2012 George and/or Kathy had hired Michael to write ep7. And we can guess that he probably got George's story treatments as a jumping off point (evidenced by Darth Talon concept, George has a thing for half naked Twi'leks from Legends).

And really, I think the biggest peice of evidence for this idea originating from George. Is a fan would never ever do this to Luke. And everyone working on these films is a Star Wars fan. With a good portion of them having gotten into the film making industry because of Star Wars. So if it had been just these fans coming up with the ideas for these movies, they would have ended up being a whole lot closer to Legends. And Luke would have been a wise super duper powerful Jedi Master. Heck we can see how JJ, a Star Wars fan, was trying to go that way.

Side note. There's concept art from The Art of The Last Jedi showing Rey's time on the island, and her training with Luke. Which is really cool to see, because it wasn't done for TLJ. It was made after the January 9th meeting. Back when Rey was being called Kira. And they themselves have an interesting origin. During the meeting Rick Carter hands Kiri Hart a stack of pictures. They're stills from Akira Kurosawa films. He asks Kiri to choose the pictures that best tell the story of Luke and Kira. She chooses some, and they get made into the concept art seen in the book. And very interesting, one shows a victorious Kira holding her lightsaber over a Luke who has fallen on the ground. So the idea that Rey and Luke end up in fight was something that also came out of Michael Arndt's draft.

To me it matters because some people, and myriads of websites, are basically saying "You didn't like Luke in TLJ? That was George's vision, btw." Which is simply false. Luke in exile is not what made fans upset. If it was, we would have been upset after TFA, since it spells out that reality. It's the way it was handled and specifically what Rian brought to the table that was most people's issue. Attempting to blame that on George, who has been very clear that Disney discarded his ideas for the ST, is just not right.

More to the point, blaming it on George...misses the point. If what you object to is actually the end result (e.g., that Luke tried to kill Ben in his sleep, screwed up, and then went into hiding), then it doesn't really matter who thought of it. George, JJ, Rian, whoever. Doesn't matter.

Saying "Well, but that was George's idea" presupposes that you would like whatever George thought of because George thought of it (assuming the statement is accurate, which I recognize you dispute, and which I'm in no position to comment on one way or the other).

In fact, the underlying attitude of "I don't care who thought of it; I care about the end result" is borne out by the response of fans who dislike both the PT and the ST for the exact same reason: they don't conform to the fans' idea of what the story ought to be or who the characters are. In other words, it's not about who wrote the story, it's about the story that wound up being written. I have no great love for the PT in its final state. I think it has some terrific ideas that could serve for really interesting world-building, and which in fact made for a pretty solid platform on which to build as evidenced by the Filioni-helmed Clone Wars cartoon. But the actual films? No thanks. I only find ROTS remotely enjoyable. Well, that and the final scenes of AOTC but that's purely for the spectacle.

I am genuinely curious and concerned as to whether George either has legit memory issues, or is a pathological liar. Neither is a particularly pleasant thing to contemplate about someone you generally admire, respect, and are thankful toward for what they have given you. So I haven't dug too deeply. But given how often he's changed his story while maintaining he hasn't, or "always intended for it to be this way", or like that...?

So regardless of what took place at those early meetings, I wouldn't put it past George to have changed his mind several times since without realizing/admitting it.

I pretty much agree with everything Solo4114 has said in his last couple posts. For all that I've spent a while on my 'grand re-write' of the saga, I am also all too mindful that what we've got is... what we've got. The project grew out of that very awareness of the story not unfolding in ways I expected or, sometimes, wanted -- and learning to distinguish between the two. What I didn't like merely because it ran counter to what we would now call headcanon or fan-fiction, but inherently worked and added to the narrative... And what was just bad story choices (or, I learned later, was story foreshortening brought on by real-world issues such as ennui or lack of sufficient creative energy/vision).

So in the time since, with that at one end and the extant canon at the other, I've come up with an in-between "what's the absolute minimum needed to make that weak/bad story element less so?" approach. Get rid of the 'virgin birth' and downplay midi-chlorians, say. Add one line that Jedi are forbidden to marry... while they're Padawans. Step Leia back to being Luke's cousin, with his sister as yet unrevealed (maybe Rey's mysterious mother?). Stuff like that, that leaves almost the entirety of the film stock as is.

Because, character moments like those aside, I am overall satisfied with the direction the larger story has gone. Most of my recommended tweaks to TLJ would be in sequence, rather than content (I can't do anything to change Rian's questionable lens and lighting choices, alas). Bump all of the fleet/Canto Bight stuff to the first part of the movie, and then shift to focus on Rey on Ahch-to, up until she shows up to save the day... kinda. Better if that were the split point between two episodes. There's a little more to it than that, but I'm not going to get that granular again in a thread where a nonzero number of participants don't like the content, regardless of sequence. About the only things I'd flat-out cut would be the secret Rebel decoder ring and the stable boy Force-calling his broom.

So, in the end, I don't know that it matters much who came up with what when. Either one likes it despite its flaws, like all of Star Wars, or one doesn't. If the latter, one may need to leave the fandom for a while, as it's going to continue adding and discussing new content. I largely checked out of Trek fandom from around the whole end of Voyager/beginning of Enterprise/release of Nemesis period. Too much discussion about creative offerings I felt drastically missed what Trek was, in general, and what those ships and characters meant and deserved, in particular. Still haven't really gotten back into that side of things, even close to twenty years on. JJ-Trek and Discovery are more, even worse, missteps, IMO. But costume and model discussion I can do again, and I do. I still fondly revisit the older stuff, and have fading hopes for good new stuff, but my ardor took a massive hit.

I would never dream of, or advocate, giving up on it entirely. Every time I see someone is going to sell off their collection, or get rid of their costumes, or like that, I strongly encourage them to wait a bit. I know if I had gotten rid of any of my Trek stuff, I'd've come to regret it. "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow -- but soon. And for the rest of your life." Wait and see. We're in such a differently-paced world now. It's only been four years since the big public announcement. Three since TFA was released. In that same time period, originally, we were also off to a rocky start. Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Marvel comics, and the newspaper strips were all... kind of Star Wars...? The Holiday Special? Woo. A sequel that took things in a direction a lot of people didn't expect and many didn't like? So calm down, step back if you're not liking this current stuff. They're learning -- and blundering -- and more will be coming out in the next few years. See what happens then, before decrying this as the beginning of the end. Or the end of the middle. Or the end of the beginning. Or whatever it turns out to be.

As a side note re: what to do when the object of your fandom "abandons" you, my advice is twofold:

1. Take a break. A long one, if necessary. You can still generally enjoy the stuff you enjoy, but take a break from anything other than that.

2. Focus on finding ways to engage with the stuff you do like and, if possible and if opportunities present, find ways to enjoy what's being offered.

For example, I checked out of the novel series after the Black Fleet Crisis. Really, I'd been dissatisfied for a LONG time, but I kept hoping maybe the next novel would be better. I completely ignored the stuff that dealt with the Yuuzhan-Vong because they sounded like a dumb biological equivalet to the Borg that didn't belong in the Star Wars universe at all. I gave up on almost all things Star Wars except what I already loved at the time the prequels came out.

But during those times, I could still enjoy firing up X-Wing Alliance or Star Wars: Rebellion or re-reading the Zahn books again.

In the past two years, I discovered the old Star Wars RPG from West End Games that I've mentioned here, and that is a TON of fun to read, even if you aren't actually playing, but even moreso (I expect) if you get to play.

Likewise, I really gave The Clone Wars a chance...and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you, that came after I watched Rebels and felt like it really captured the feel of the Star Wars I wanted to see (albeit in cartoon form), so I was already positively disposed towards the creative team behind the show. And I found that I really enjoyed that, too!

I'm not saying go watch and love Resistance, but maybe after it gets a couple of seasons under its belt, if it ends up being really good, give it a chance then. The Clone Wars had a REALLY slow and weak start, but it got a LOT better.

Otherwise, just treat it all like a buffet. Take what you want and leave the rest. I know that geeks and nerds like us tend to get all wrapped up about what is and isn't canon, but I think the experience of enjoying Star Wars and Star Trek and other franchises that have undergone massive creative shifts (to say nothing of corporate ownership changes) should teach us all to maybe not get too invested in a given property and the ongoing, overarching story, and instead make what we want and enjoy of what's offered and ignore the rest.

As a side note re: what to do when the object of your fandom "abandons" you, my advice is twofold:

1. Take a break. A long one, if necessary. You can still generally enjoy the stuff you enjoy, but take a break from anything other than that.

2. Focus on finding ways to engage with the stuff you do like and, if possible and if opportunities present, find ways to enjoy what's being offered.

For example, I checked out of the novel series after the Black Fleet Crisis. Really, I'd been dissatisfied for a LONG time, but I kept hoping maybe the next novel would be better. I completely ignored the stuff that dealt with the Yuuzhan-Vong because they sounded like a dumb biological equivalet to the Borg that didn't belong in the Star Wars universe at all. I gave up on almost all things Star Wars except what I already loved at the time the prequels came out.

But during those times, I could still enjoy firing up X-Wing Alliance or Star Wars: Rebellion or re-reading the Zahn books again.

In the past two years, I discovered the old Star Wars RPG from West End Games that I've mentioned here, and that is a TON of fun to read, even if you aren't actually playing, but even moreso (I expect) if you get to play.

Likewise, I really gave The Clone Wars a chance...and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you, that came after I watched Rebels and felt like it really captured the feel of the Star Wars I wanted to see (albeit in cartoon form), so I was already positively disposed towards the creative team behind the show. And I found that I really enjoyed that, too!

I'm not saying go watch and love Resistance, but maybe after it gets a couple of seasons under its belt, if it ends up being really good, give it a chance then. The Clone Wars had a REALLY slow and weak start, but it got a LOT better.

Otherwise, just treat it all like a buffet. Take what you want and leave the rest. I know that geeks and nerds like us tend to get all wrapped up about what is and isn't canon, but I think the experience of enjoying Star Wars and Star Trek and other franchises that have undergone massive creative shifts (to say nothing of corporate ownership changes) should teach us all to maybe not get too invested in a given property and the ongoing, overarching story, and instead make what we want and enjoy of what's offered and ignore the rest.

I like your buffet analogy.

It seems like so many Star Wars fans these days see one movie that they don't like. Throw up their hands and say "Star Wars is dead I hate all the new stuff". Okay, that's too bad, but don't boycott the whole franchise on the strength of one film! That's why they hire different writers and directors, in an attempt to make content that everyone will enjoy.

Imagine if Star Trek fans had done that with The Motion Picture, a less then stellar film. We would have never gotten Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, or First Contact (IMO the best Star Trek's)

Imagine if Star Trek fans had done that with The Motion Picture, a less then stellar film. We would have never gotten Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, or First Contact (IMO the best Star Trek's)
Ironic analogy. TMP was the one Gene had the most control over. And while it was reeeeeeeally slow for production-schedule reasons (essentially unfinished/rough cut), it's much tighter after Bob wise got to go back and finally do a final edit. Meanwhile, I like TWOK, and there are a lot of moments I like in TUC (and the scores for both are magnificent), but they aren't my favorites. And FC is further down my list, for reasons from structural (no more time-travel stories, dammit!) to thematic (Borg Queen) to production design (uniforms and ships). Also had moments I like, but embedded in a movie that really irked me.

I saw this, and I swear, this pretty much represents what things feel like for me for the fanbase.

2nvoak.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back