Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I think I'll have to adopt a Dr. Strangelove attitude about Disney's Star Wars,

"How I learned to stop worrying, and love the bomb ."

Other than nuking Disney from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Its similar to the mindset I have about Jar Jar's, Nu Trek. While I despise frakkin my own mind like that, it's better than letting these hacks do it. A little schizophrenia is a small price to pay. To preserve my nostalgia, while still having popcorn fare, from time to time. ; )

#notmystarwars

Saw TLJ for a second time tonight. Was in the crowd, upon Initial viewing (opening night), wondering "what the heck did o just watch?".
Gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed it this time. Not original 77 SW good nor ESB good, but definitely ROTJ good. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Saw TLJ for a second time tonight. Was in the crowd, upon Initial viewing (opening night), wondering "what the heck did o just watch?".
Gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed it this time. Not original 77 SW good nor ESB good, but definitely ROTJ good. Just my opinion.

Not trying to be a provocateur, but I have to ask, being that my 2nd viewing was "better" as well...

Being that the shock and awe was long since over, don't you at least somewhat feel like you were simply given the gift of knowledge and could now build your wall with it? As in a, "I know what's coming, so you can't hurt me with it" type of thing?

In addition, I compounded my hatred first go 'round by seeing it with another critical SW fan, and I spent a good half hour after the film on the cusp of yelling and gyrating myself into a stroke. 2nd time was with my mother; she loved it, and I could sense as much, so I naturally "liked" it more.

It sucks that the bar has become that damn low for some of us, but here we are.

I think I'll have to adopt a Dr. Strangelove attitude about Disney's Star Wars,

"How I learned to stop worrying, and love the bomb ."

Other than nuking Disney from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Its similar to the mindset I have about Jar Jar's, Nu Trek. While I despise frakkin my own mind like that, it's better than letting these hacks do it. A little schizophrenia is a small price to pay. To preserve my nostalgia, while still having popcorn fare, from time to time. ; )

#notmystarwars

Actually, it's helped me tremendously to just think of the wizened old man as "Jake Skywalker" as Mark Hamill did. Just as the old EU was rebranded "Legends" and removed from official canon, so has this movie been in my head. It's like reading the special Superman comic series set in an alternate universe where his spaceship landed in Russia and he was raised with communist values.

So TLJ (and to a lesser extent TFA) have become for me an interesting thought exercise of:

"What would happen if Han abandons Leia and returns to smuggling over disappointment in one kid's outcome, gets offed by that kid, and Luke becomes a bitter old man removed from the Force who spends his day fishing and teasing green milk from sea giraffes's nipples because of the shame of almost killing his nephew, all the while being bested in the Force by a young lady that's been using it for a few days?"

Then I return to the real SW universe where the above events would not logically follow what had come before, and patiently wait for true sequels of the OT.

Actually, it's helped me tremendously to just think of the wizened old man as "Jake Skywalker" as Mark Hamill did. Just as the old EU was rebranded "Legends" and removed from official canon, so has this movie been in my head. It's like reading the special Superman comic series set in an alternate universe where his spaceship landed in Russia and he was raised with communist values.

So TLJ (and to a lesser extent TFA) have become for me an interesting thought exercise of:

"What would happen if Han abandons Leia and returns to smuggling over disappointment in one kid's outcome, gets offed by that kid, and Luke becomes a bitter old man removed from the Force who spends his day fishing and teasing green milk from sea giraffes's nipples because of the shame of almost killing his nephew, all the while being bested in the Force by a young lady that's been using it for a few days?"

Then I return to the real SW universe where the above events would not logically follow what had come before, and patiently wait for true sequels of the OT.

I've heard more than one fan elsewhere have to put it in a separate box to enjoy it.
The common box is "fan film", that's a direct quote from a fan at my work and some gaming types on the webz.

I've heard more than one fan elsewhere have to put it in a separate box to enjoy it.
The common box is "fan film", that's a direct quote from a fan at my work and some gaming types on the webz.

All of which is s fine. On the reciprocal side you have a new generation of young fans for whom this will be their Star Wars, just like what happened with the PT. Nothing has changed over the past 40 years in regards to that.

All of which is s fine. On the reciprocal side you have a new generation of young fans for whom this will be their Star Wars, just like what happened with the PT. Nothing has changed over the past 40 years in regards to that.

OH much has changed since 40 years ago. Very much. So many big FX films have come since, they don't dazzle like the OT did because nothing
had ever been seen before like it on multiple levels. These new films are released. 40 years ago Star Wars ARRIVED.
I personally think these days this trilogy and most "event" films are swiftly consumed and eyes fall quickly onto whatever the next big film coming is.
Blurays are out in a few months that reminds some that the film actually happened and it's bought, extras are watched and it's put aside to collect dust.
This trilogy will be nestled in with a collectors set with a fancy box and by themselves will never be as enduring or inspiring as the OT. If for no other reason they
are sequels and with each iteration it's diluted. So for those that this is "their Star Wars" it's not the same as the OT was for that generation.
Now I suppose some kid that hasn't seen many movies will bond and endure, but there aren't many Amish kids going to see this I would think.

I have seen Mark Hamill blurt out in so many interviews "But it's not my film" and "It's not my story anymore" and that will always bother me. You can almost see him deflate a little bit when he exclaims this stuff.

I certainly don't find "Luke Skywalker is not the main character anymore" a compelling enough reason to write Luke Skywalker the way they did. It's also interesting that he got in a slight dig with saying they would have an outline for the next trilogy. That was pretty clever.

I have seen Mark Hamill blurt out in so many interviews "But it's not my film" and "It's not my story anymore" and that will always bother me. You can almost see him deflate a little bit when he exclaims this stuff.

I certainly don't find "Luke Skywalker is not the main character anymore" a compelling enough reason to write Luke Skywalker the way they did. It's also interesting that he got in a slight dig with saying they would have an outline for the next trilogy. That was pretty clever.

I love Mark and respect his opinion but I found his performance, as written with all the pathos weighing in him, really compelling and the best work I have seen him do. He may be struggling with the character arc but it allowed him to really shine, IMO.

I love Mark and respect his opinion but I found his performance, as written with all the pathos weighing in him, really compelling and the best work I have seen him do. He may be struggling with the character arc but it allowed him to really shine, IMO.

Yeah, he did a fantastic job. Absolutely no question about it.

Yeah I think we can all agree that no matter the choices made with the character, Mark Hamill gave it all he had, and was the best Jake Skywalker he possibly could have been. :D

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back