Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
And another thing!

If Luke had cut himself off from the force - why the hell is he wearing his Jedi robes when Rey arrives. God this was such a hack job :facepalm

Because JJ wanted Luke Skywalker, Jedi knight in this trilogy but RJ chose to use Jake Skywalker instead.
When Rey arrived he immediately changed his outfit then change back soon as she left. It was very odd!

Because JJ wanted Luke Skywalker, Jedi knight in this trilogy but RJ chose to use Jake Skywalker instead.
When Rey arrived he immediately changed his outfit then change back soon as she left. It was very odd!

But then how do you square the circle in that Rian finished his script before TFA wrapped and JJ read it and by all accounts loved it? If he had envisioned a different version of Luke I would think his reaction would be different, no?

In JJ's original story when we meet Luke on the island he is all powerful and is seen levitating rocks. That was abandoned after RJ turned in his effort and JJ agreed to alter his movie. A noble and generous gesture which in hindsight I could imagine him regretting.

In JJ's original story when we meet Luke on the island he is all powerful and is seen levitating rocks. That was abandoned after RJ turned in his effort and JJ agreed to alter his movie. A noble and generous gesture which in hindsight I could imagine him regretting.

OK, hold on a sec. You’re going to have to show me some reputable source that can verify that’s how it went down because I was up to my neck in TFA Spoiler news about how the story came together and never heard anything like that.

OK, hold on a sec. You’re going to have to show me some reputable source that can verify that’s how it went down because I was up to my neck in TFA Spoiler news about how the story came together and never heard anything like that.
It's mentioned in one of Mark Hamill's interviews. He said that TFA was going to end with Rey finding him levitating rocks all around him but then the call came in that it had been scrapped due to the conflict with TLJ's script. Then he reads TLJ and saw that they gave it to Rey at the end instead.

Yeah that was very very odd. "Tonight Matthew I'm going to be........a badly written grump!"

I've heard about the levitating rocks too - was definitely on the cards for a possible ending.
They are making it up very badly as they go along.

As mentioned above ^^. There is a interview clip of Mark and Daisy discussing it. Mark says that it was guiding his process as an actor but then the TLJ script was [ Phoned in ] and it was scrapped.

I cant ant find the clip on YT but there's several vids discussing the 'revelation'

As mentioned above ^^. There is a interview clip of Mark and Daisy discussing it. Mark says that it was guiding his process as an actor but then the TLJ script was [ Phoned in ] and it was scrapped.

I cant ant find the clip on YT but there's several vids discussing the 'revelation'

OK, but I'm still not clear why JJ would have been against what Rian wrote when he seemed very enthusiastic about it. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Yeah that was very very odd. "Tonight Matthew I'm going to be........a badly written grump!"

I've heard about the levitating rocks too - was definitely on the cards for a possible ending.
They are making it up very badly as they go along.

Yeah. I imagine when he's alone he struts around the island playing Jedi (like us saber builders) but someone showed up so he canned the cosplay.

And to think I thought it was a bad idea to be drinking and posting. Annanake, I'm not sure what you're on, but I
bet its some good stuff.

Why?

the article was about paid professional critics loving TLJ while less than half of the public holds it in such high regard.

I use the fable about the emperor's new
clothes .... The child represents the public ....us.
The dude snowing the emperor is represented by the critics.

And of course Luke "defeated" the emperor by begging daddy to save him !

Also It is great stuff !

I only defile myself with the best Sterno around !

Ever since Andromeda strain I've been inoculating my self !

Last edited:
OK, but I'm still not clear why JJ would have been against what Rian wrote when he seemed very enthusiastic about it. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Im not saying JJ was against it but he did dress Luke like a Jedi master. Also, his enthusiasm for RJ's story was just hearsay, via Greg Grunberg who, incidentally, was absent from TLJ(?)

Why?

the article was about paid professional critics loving TLJ while less than half of the public holds it in such high regard.

I use the fable about the emperor's new
clothes .... The child represents the public ....us.
The dude snowing the emperor is represented by the critics.

And of course Luke "defeated" the emperor by begging daddy to save him !

Also It is great stuff !

I only defile myself with the best Sterno around !

Ever since Andromeda strain I've been inoculating my self !

Oh, I wasn't taking issue with what you posted regarding that link. I didnt even read it. Not important to me. Its more your posting style I find enjoyable.

Even if JJ hated Rian's script, or parts of the script, he would never say that publicly. Ever. Mark Hamill would though, and he freaking did every chance he got, for a little while.

I think they really missed an opportunity to do something special, exciting, and enormously cool with Luke, in favor of making him a grumpy old fisherman who drinks from space manatee udders while making faces at young girls and telling them to get off his lawn so he can die.

It was just so strange.

For as long as I live I will never understand the creative choices made with Luke. Not ever.

Last edited:
It's mentioned in one of Mark Hamill's interviews. He said that TFA was going to end with Rey finding him levitating rocks all around him but then the call came in that it had been scrapped due to the conflict with TLJ's script. Then he reads TLJ and saw that they gave it to Rey at the end instead.

Not only was it scrapped, but it was mocked with "its not about lifting rocks"

So, the fact that Rey did it. Then, is it about lifting rocks? Im so confused,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aiDU-E5H-U

Last edited:

Not confusing for me. They are only looking at a certain set of numbers (critics 90%). If they factored in the 'Audience Score' (48% liked it), it would be at 64%.

The other thing is a good movie can be a financial loss (BR 2049) but loved by critics AND audience. If you mash up both of those scores on RT its like an 83%. Then you have TLJ that is on track for $1.3 Billion but a big 'meh' by audiences after they actually see it.

If a movie is good, it will stick with me for a couple of days or longer. TLJ was a one and done thing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back