Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

There is a deleted scene where Leia is speaking to her emissary to the Republic that provides all the context of the status of the Republic and the Resistance's relation to it.

Yes, I know. I was just explaining to gizmo what astro meant. But I do think they should have left that deleted scene in the movie to eliminate confusion for the ones who don't keep up to date with the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Last edited:
That medic was played by Christopher Lee's niece, Dame Harriet Walter of Downton Abbey fame.

And am I correct to assume Jim Carter a.k.a. as Carson in Downton Abbey lend his voice to Unkar Plutt? I did not know the actor's name beforehand so could and did not double check when the credits already played but he sounded quite familiar indeed :wacko

Chaim

Nobody's asking for prequels level politics, just that a bit more exposition on that part would have been nice is all.

I know it was a bit tongue in cheek. I've read the visual dictionary which keeps you up to date with a lot. I'd love to see the unexplored regions that the first order built up thief army in. :)

Ben

You know what I find amazing? They made this movie to have as broad appeal as possible, yet you need read the friggin star wars wiki's in order to understand the actual setting. Seriously. This movie is actually made for people who've read the comics and novels

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Wasn't Unkar Plutt played by Simon Pegg? I assume that's his voice (albeit modified) we heard whenever the character spoke.

And am I correct to assume Jim Carter a.k.a. as Carson in Downton Abbey lend his voice to Unkar Plutt? I did not know the actor's name beforehand so could and did not double check when the credits already played but he sounded quite familiar indeed :wacko

Chaim

You know what I find amazing? They made this movie to have as broad appeal as possible, yet you need read the friggin star wars wiki's in order to understand the actual setting. Seriously. This movie is actually made for people who've read the comics and novels

That´s only applicable assuming that the viewer has a deeper interest in Star Wars Canon. The absolute average joe without any knowledge about Star Wars and especially the kids should easily get what is basically going on and apparently is able to enjoy the movie. It´s a conclusion I draw based on the generated revenue. I am sure that, as large as the sw fan base may be, the main contributors to the success are the occasional movie goers. The same goes for the Marvel movies, IMO.

Not necessarily. The casual audience that I've encountered offline being friends and family just want to know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are and watch the conflict go down.They don't really care for the deeper stuff like we do and for us being a small percentage that analizes every detail we can do that in books and media. Seriously most people I start talking about the deeper stuff just start changing the subject or just get bored with what I'm talking about. They just don't care for that side of things. I do myself but that's why I'm on this board and 99% of the general public isn't. The most they care about is who Rey is related to and is she Lukes.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

That´s only applicable assuming that the viewer has a deeper interest in Star Wars Canon. The absolute average joe without any knowledge about Star Wars and especially the kids should easily get what is basically going on and apparently is able to enjoy the movie. It´s a conclusion I draw based on the generated revenue. I am sure that, as large as the sw fan base may be, the main contributors to the success are the occasional movie goers. The same goes for the Marvel movies, IMO.

Beat me to it.

So does anything say how long Luke had an academy? Like were his students all new or had he been training people for 20 years or so?

that's what I was wondering too. I think it would have been a far more interesting reveal to see luke be the new yoda at a jedi acadamy on courscant.
then you find out about the han kids betrayal, then it's a hunt on for hans kid for the rest of the series. to me, that would have been a little more rewarding spending 30 years with the books. even if the jedi characters where different.

with all of lukes students seemingly dead, and luke strangely going into hiding rather than fixing the problem created.......I dunno....

that's what I was wondering too. I think it would have been a far more interesting reveal to see luke be the new yoda at a jedi acadamy on courscant.
then you find out about the han kids betrayal, then it's a hunt on for hans kid for the rest of the series. to me, that would have been a little more rewarding spending 30 years with the books. even if the jedi characters where different.

with all of lukes students seemingly dead, and luke strangely going into hiding rather than fixing the problem created.......I dunno....

Well, how long has Luke been in hiding exactly?
Kylo Ben was already old enough to kill off all of the students, and if we presume that's when Luke went into hiding....I don't think it's nearly as long as some might think.
Rey was a child at that time too when she was left on Jakku, but do we know exactly how old she is now?
That's probably the amount of time Luke has been in hiding.

Besides, I still believe that he's not just hiding but guarding the remains of Vader.
Which then begs the question, why does he need to guard Vader's remains in the first place?

This is my personal theory anyways and based solely on the fact that I believe Luke didn't exactly go into hiding...more like he's protecting something or someone that can't or shouldn't fall into the wrong hands...or get out on its own.

He gave a partial map to his location, why do that if you're in hiding?
I think it's deeper than just Luke running away.

There's probably a strong Luke + Vader + Kylo Ben story here which might really center around Kylo and Vader in some form or another.
What if Kylo used to talk to Vader's remains and his 'force ghost' responded back in Luke's training camp.....assuming Luke even has Vader's remains that is.

Anyway, that's my theory.

David

even if he went missing for say 18 years, give or take.....it's still kind of sad to see the characters havn't really evolved much since when we last saw them, and in the case of luke, has kind of de evolved as far as we know.

everyone is right back where they where.

or if they did evolve, we missed it all and skipped that part.

Are there any speculations about that 'Voodoo' puppet of an X-wing fighter/rebel and that Rebel helmet in Rey's possession that I may have missed in this enormous thread?

Chaim

Are there any speculations about that 'Voodoo' puppet of an X-wing fighter/rebel and that Rebel helmet in Rey's possession that I may have missed in this enormous thread?

Chaim

The TFA Visual Dictionary says that the doll was made from scraps of a Rebel Uniform and the helmet belonged to Dosmit Ræh of the Tierfon Yellow Aces

even if he went missing for say 18 years, give or take.....it's still kind of sad to see the characters havn't really evolved much since when we last saw them, and in the case of luke, has kind of de evolved as far as we know.

everyone is right back where they where.

or if they did evolve, we missed it all and skipped that part.

We know from the dialogue that they did evolve, but eventually regressed due to extenuating circumstances. We know that Leia and Han tried to become parents, but when their son fell, they went back to something that felt comfortable. It's not uncommon.

Chaim

The TFA Visual Dictionary says that the doll was made from scraps of a Rebel Uniform and the helmet belonged to Dosmit Ræh of the Tierfon Yellow Aces

There's a book they previewed that was called Rey's Survival Guide. I can't find the preview though. If I remember correctly, she says she made the doll then made up back stories for adventures it went on. I do like that someone brought the Tierfon Yellow Aces back into canon.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back