Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

my buddies and I have been arguing about this for awhile.. one of them is a hardcore EU guy. he says in EU Vader was obsessed with the saber and had the empire scan every inch of bespin until it was found, they found it and dark Luke ( the clone) used it

maybe we are all over thinking and it was simple as Vader had the empire scan every inch of bespin until it was found. found it and then kept it in his room aboard a star destroyer

star destroyer eventually goes down and crash lands on jakku? where or scavenger finds it?

I hope it's explained but then again JJ is famous for no explanation scenarios. "just drop characters into a stituation and go with it" is one of his exact sayings

LOST and Clover field are perfect cases of this. super 8 was a different feel film of his because he actually explained the aliens origin and back story of the characters..

I sure hope the saber will be explained only because it feels like it's the key to the story, we also heard the rumor the saber is the key to finding lukes location..

we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a few people could take a lesson from Harrison here. We've all seen the trailer now and have been thrilled by it. The people who professed to the great doom and gloom now the " Mouse House" had bought the franchise were wrong. The same goes for all the" JJ will ruin this" . And again we're back to this same old argument about the lightsaber ??? I came up with at least three workable alternatives ages back when we did this. Give it a break.
"Alias" is the best example I can think of when looking at what JJ can do with subterfuge and misdirection ( as well as hunting for hidden artefacts !!!!!). The fact we heard what we heard in the trailer was because he totally understood what kind of a fuss those brief statements would cause. I wish everybody would just kind of relax a bit now and enjoy the build up to it, rather than worry to the point where its all becoming just pointless repetition and "fault" finding for something we haven't a clue about yet IF they've got it possibly wrong or not. We can all do that AFTER the films been seen.
TFA film has been crafted by people who love this universe exactly the same way we do. Yet again its been made full of wonder, new potential , mystery and character and also the exciting promise of some incredibly brilliant and thrilling set pieces that are going to at least rival if not beat scenes like the asteroid field and the Death Star attack. I feel the same way about this film the way I did coming into the winter of 1977, before it hit the UK shores , and that's takes some doing.
Reasons to be cheerful?
Xmas is coming and so is Star Wars.

Last edited:
We went round and round with the saber when the second teaser came out. I thought we'd resolved then that:

- there are hundreds of debris-suction ports opening off the main shaft in Cloud City, and there was no evidence of the saber in the one Luke got sucked into, nor was it the bit of debris that fell into Bespin.

- we have no way of knowing Luke's attachment to the saber -- the one he cobbled together from Obi-Wan's spare parts was something he needed for the rescue mission, and we have no idea how much he tried to find a way back onto Cloud City in the intervening time to retrieve his father's... or not.

- the Knights of Ren are Vader groupies (as one of my friends put it, "Vader-senpai, please notice us!" *dewy anime eyes*) and are hankering for the saber more even than Luke probably ever was.

- all the filmmakers have to do to address it (if they choose to at all) is maybe ten seconds of screen time: "Hey, Luke was trying to recover that for years -- where'd you get it?" "Waste collection on Cloud City, right where he left it." As a for-instance. *shrug*

Bottom line, trust the filmmakers until they give you a reason not to. The movie's not out yet, we haven't seen it, we haven't seen how they explain its presence (or not) or that of the Falcon (or not) or 3PO's red arm (or not). Criticizing them or something that they haven't even said/shown yet, or it's confirmed absence, is kind of a waste of energy.

--Jonah

I too really want to know how the saber came into play, but with Luke not showing up til the end of the film, I don't think we'll find out in this movie.

I think a few people could take a lesson from Harrison here. We've seen the trailer and have been thrilled by it. All the people who professed the great doom and gloom now the mouse house had bought the franchise were wrong. The same goes for JJ. Now we're back to this same old argument about the lightsaber ??? I came up with at least workable three alternatives ages back when we did this.
"Alias" is the best example I can think of when looking at what JJ can do with subterfuge and misdirection ( as well as looking for hidden artefacts !!!!!). The fact we heard what we heard in the trailer was because he totally understood what kind of a fuss those brief statements would cause. I wish everybody would kind of relax a bit now and enjoy the build up to it, rather than just worry to the point where its just becoming pointless repetition and "fault" finding for something we haven't a clue IF they've got it probably wrong or not. We can all do that AFTER the films been seen.
TFA film has been crafted by people who love this universe exactly the same way we do. Yet again full of wonder, potential ,mystery and the promise of some incredibly brilliant and thrilling set pieces that are going to at least rival if not beat scenes like the asteroid field and the Death Star attack. I feel the same way about this film the way I did coming into the winter of 1977, before it hit the UK shores , and that's takes some doing.
Reasons to be cheerful?
Xmas is coming and so is Star Wars.

Great post
J

It's nice to see Harrison talking so openly and even enthusiastically about Star Wars after all the years of grumpiness towards it after RotJ (some even say ESB). his excitement makes me even more excited.

What a cool guy, very honest & straight answers to some totally lame questions......he could have easily been sarcastic, but gave more than I thought he would

"Burp!"

J

I didn't actually watch the interview, but heard I did hear the whole thing last night. I was oddly enough, painting the 1/72 Han figure from the FM Falcon when he came on. There were a few times it seemed like Harrison was on the verge of losing his temper, but would catch himself. THen again I couldn't tell by his body language (not that his costume really would help anyway)

and the burp. That was the only time I think I looked up

...Beer sausages..

I think Harrison had a few too many. Probably to cope with the questions he knew were going to be asked

You are assuming far too much. I didn't say in TFA Luke hasn't trained Jedi. Possibly Maz is one of them. And if you have read and or listened to anything GL has said on record, there are two aspects of the EU he disliked. Luke getting married and Luke being the Grand Master.

I'm just thinking out loud. I am going to wait to see what happens. I never heard Lucas say that he didn't like Luke being Grandmaster, just not liking the marriage or Mara Jade. That's odd though because he supposedly had the final say so on the main characters. So he either let it slide for the books and bit his tongue, or it had his blessing, which is odd if he didn't like it.

It's nice to see Harrison talking so openly and even enthusiastically about Star Wars after all the years of grumpiness towards it after RotJ (some even say ESB). his excitement makes me even more excited.

There was an interview with JJ awhile back where he said that he was even surprised by how enthusiastic Ford was for this movie because of him kind of downplaying that role through the years.

12049111_10153269463754366_4186679383941384264_n.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back