Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

So the mystery surrounding why one of the most iconic props in the Star Wars franchise is put on the same level of importance as to why C-3PO has a red arm? If it's not going to be explained in the movie, that's going to be extremely lazy writing. .

Forgive me for asking but did we ever get an explanation during ANH of why 3PO's leg was silver, or where Ben got his saber? Or where the Tantive had just flown from, or where Chewbacca gets his Wookie bag's made? I'm coming at this from a very confused place after reading your post, By your reckoning isn't ANH the laziest film of the complete series then?

Why all of a sudden do we have to sit through hours of pointless screen time to tell pointless story sub plots that have no real relevance to the story ? I really don't want to see on the big screen 60 mins of prop backstory and 75min of actual story. If they did add all these things it would be so bad and for no reason other than fear of the suicide rate going up by 15% maybe more???

Just think how much better ANH would've been if we sat through 1 hour of how Han had to fight off hundreds of aliens to steal a training remote that served no real purpose for him?

Lets just assume the Saber mades its way to its new home via somebody finding it and getting rid of it...why does it have to be an explained mystery or "none mystery plot point".......why stop there?? They've likely just enough time to do some pick up shots down at Pinewood of the 20 min scene of Kylo buying Vaders burnt helmet on Space eBay, the tension in that last 30 secs of bidding would be epic!!!!

This is meant with a sense of humour to help me cope with what I consider some very bizarre ramblings !!!

And I just won't sleep till I hear people say they need to know why the Rebel alliance decided to change the design of the X-wings, theres another 20 mins screen time wasted, or gained, from "a certain pint of view!!!"

How lazy of the ESB team to not tell us if the rebels found the big cave and made it a hanger or if it was built by them, I mean c'mon they just happened upon a big cave to hide in and they expect us to just except it? Like that? no explanation? Tut tut

I used to like that film till now!!!!! :)

Missed the point entirely on the subject of the returning ESB saber. The main concern is when it fell down the well with Luke's severed, the audience having seen Luke fall from the same platform and wound up at the bottom end of Cloud City, it's assumed that the ESB saber met that same fate and was lost to the gas giant that is Bespin.

If it comes back again in the new movie, presuming it's the same saber (unless they just say "Anakin had another one that was recently found"), it stands to reason people would wonder how it made its way back.

For many, it is "THE" lightsaber when asked what a lightsaber is; it's the first one ignited on screen in ANH, its the one that Luke uses/loses in ESB, it's the one Anakin uses/loses in ROTS, and now it's gonna be the used again the new movies. It's a prop, yes, but one that's got a lot of story behind it in the movies and importance to the central characters. Comparing it's importance to 3PO's leg, or the last destination of the Tantive IV, or something equally less interesting is like comparing grapes to steaks.

Star Wars isn't known for it's solid continuity but if it is the same saber from the first two OT movies, to people who've seen the OT and are curious as to how same saber crops up again (like me), I want to a good explanation as to how it isn't crushed by Bespin's atmosphere and dissolved.

Last edited:
We should just overtly make the whole trilogy about the lightsaber. In fact, why even have a leading cast? I just want to see the Bespin janitorial service find the lightsaber for 2 hours.

One could say missed the point to a good story by being obsessed with things that the writer and director aren't too concerned about as they only need to explain to obsessive fans that hold more importance to objects than character?

Why do we need to know how a saber gets from A to B, how does this improve anything that happens from B-C, if the force brought it there then maybe I'd be a little "wot?" thats a little weird..... I'm not comparing the importance of a safer to a leg, I' comparing the importance of a sabers back story to the story at hand...

Luke survived the fall, where is it written whats beneath Bespin, where is written that the sabre was lost ? You came to that conclusion from free will, so why cant the same free will decide how it gets to the characters in TFA? The sabres Literal importance is to the story, the sabres actual history and where its been on holidays isn't. If all the things people want from this film where in it it would be terrible....... We don't know if they do or don't tell this tale yet but I cant see, 99.99 % of the rest of the world self harming over it?

When someone, pre determines an emitted scene they want to see, about a story they've not heard yet and decides the writers are lazy because of it, then you got to be asking yourself, is this film really for you??

For the Record it isn't the one Luke ignites in ANH its the ESB one that should be found, in prop terms its different, so to be accurate it should look like the ESB Saber yes?

So is it to look like the ESB prop? Or the ANH Prop, theres 2 different looking sabers but which one do they use in TFA to be correct if the ANH sober is "The" saber of sabers then I'm guessing that if they used the look of the ESB Luke Saber then theres going to be a few angry muffins in December? Who decides this? The people that make the film....At least 50 % of the people who would want to see this saber are already bummed out cos they have they're own preference

So whats yours? ESB Luke...or ANH Luke, or theoretically correct or visually correct, Hang on, isn't the ROTS Luke sober the original one? Maybe its that one that they should use in TFA after all thats the first even though it was production made last??? Maybe its best if they didn't have the saber in the movie, cos they are NEVER GOING TO GET IT RIGHT FOR SOME FOLK :)

Last edited:
Wrong, it's may be simply inconsequential to the story they are telling to 95% of the audience.

Not everything in a movie has to be consequential to the story nor does it need to be constantly dictated by what a certain percentage of the audience might think. What matters is the movie. The reason why the Anakin's Lightsaber being in this new movie is such a big deal for me is because the original films made a big deal when Luke lost it.

The light saber is a prop to tell a story, and yes I love em and had 17 at one point (thanks MR) but it is a prop to tell a story, when it becomes the story the film then its wasted screen time and only serves to make a very small minority happy, who then will all moan about what was wrong with the way it was written anyway!!!

Not everything in a movie has to be consequential to the story nor does it need to be constantly dictated by what a certain percentage of the audience might think. What matters is the movie. The reason why the Anakin's Lightsaber being in this new movie is such a big deal for me is because the original films made a big deal when Luke lost it.

To be fare to Luke, he didn't even really moan about loosing his hand let alone the lightsaber, so again its mostly in your head and its your importance, not about the story as it seems you've been watching your own star wars in your mind for a long time?

They dint even bother adding the scene of him building his new one for Jedi as it was kinda slowing things down, Kinda much like if they added the story of the mystery behind the magical journey from Bespin to where ever......some things just don't need to be played out , maybe it will but its lazy thinking to just want whats best for you.

I still haven't got over the shade of Chewie's Fingernails compared to the ANH costume, so cant really compute this yet !!

To me, the losing of the saber wasn't that big of a deal. It was the reveal that he had made a new one.:eek

Not to get too mythological, but on the hero's journey, the talisman that sets the hero on the path usually HAS to be lost. Otherwise, the hero believes in the power of the talisman instead of believing in himself.

Losing 'everything' (Saber, Mentor, Body) is what made Luke realize the power of the Jedi was in the connection to the Force. That is what allowed him to realize a true Jedi needed none of those things.

I know you were speaking only of the reclamation of Anakin's saber, but to me, it is THE magic talisman. In a way, it magically appeared to Luke at the perfect moment to set him on his journey, & the backstory was that it had been In a box at Obi-Wan's for the last 18-19 years. As far as we know, the saber has been sitting on a shelf in Cloud City for the last 32 years waiting to send the new hero on their path. If all rumors are true, I don't believe if the story is told, it'll be in this film. Therefore, as much as I'd like to know the story too, I can't consider it a flaw in THIS film if I don't find out.

Have to admit, I'm going wonder how thstvthing was recovered. It was separated from Luke for a good minute or so. Luke was "sucked" in to a vent/shaft thing, he didn't fall continuously down until the main.... hole ended. No way to say where the saber went.

I wouldn't call the writers any derogatory name for not including how it was recovered, but since it plays such a vital role in the movie, I would think it's a base they would cover.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Your right, things we all need to know should be told, ...you got me thinking, thanks for that :cool

So how does one get to be so obsessed about nothing?

You know nothing of obsessing over nothing!

Go check the Graflex thread about what the small black 'antennae" looking thing is on the TFA saber.:facepalm

I can't even go in that thread anymore.
:wacko

No they didn't. He just got a new one, and life went on.

That's the thing that puzzles me about using Luke's old saber as a plot point in the new movie. It makes sense for the audience to be invested in this lightsaber; it was the first one we ever saw. But what's the in-universe explanation for everyone being after it, and/or it having some mystical connection with Luke? In the universe of the films, it was never that big a deal. It was a hand-me-down that only mattered because of where we the viewers joined the story. The lightsaber that was really important in-universe was the one Luke built himself before ROTJ, and as far as we know he still has that one.

As much as I'm thrilled to see the Graflex again, it feels like maybe this is the filmmakers projecting their obsession with the prop into the story, regardless of what sense it makes for Star Wars' reality.

What a cool guy, very honest & straight answers to some totally lame questions......he could have easily been sarcastic, but gave more than I thought he would

"Burp!"

J

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back