Star Wars The Acolyte (tv series)

I’m sorry, I really don’t mean to pile-on, but those costumes…

View attachment 1808367

…there is a Jason of Star Command “cheapness” to their look…

View attachment 1808368

They really lack the verisimilitude of the OT of appearing to be costumes that had actually been “worn” before the cameras rolled…

View attachment 1808369

Yeah, yeah, High Republic this and that, I know…they purchased their clothing exclusively at the Spirit Halloween Store until 55 BBY. I know…

View attachment 1808380

;)
It really looks like they just got these off the hook at Galaxies Edge.

Compare to the Prequel robes. They're aren't worn and dirty.
But they still have weight, volume, and texture that's missing with these new robes.
Star-Wars-Episode2-Promo-006.jpg

(Though the sleeveless robes and bunched up sleeves look nice. But that guy on the right, his robes are so flat and plain. And the thin white cloak clasped that the neck isn't doing him or his posture any favors.)

I've been enjoying the quality of costumes in FX's Shogun (also showing on Disney Plus, so perhaps a reasonable comparison). The costumes look so rich and dense that it's a shame something like Acolyte doesn't quite reach the same level. I suppose the benefit is that in historical fiction production goes to a lot of effort to make the costumes authentic to the original time period (I am assuming that's what they did here because they look so good!).

1712672862843.png
1712672891055.png

1712672947353.png
1712673010145.png

I've been enjoying the quality of costumes in FX's Shogun (also showing on Disney Plus, so perhaps a reasonable comparison). The costumes look so rich and dense that it's a shame something like Acolyte doesn't quite reach the same level. I suppose the benefit is that in historical fiction production goes to a lot of effort to make the costumes authentic to the original time period (I am assuming that's what they did here because they look so good!).

View attachment 1808591View attachment 1808592

View attachment 1808596View attachment 1808597
great example.

You are 100% on-point. Great storytelling and production values, indeed.

Yes.

And this is a good example of the original concept which the Prequel era jedi were modelled after: Edo era Samurai. Their clothing is loose and weighty. It's not meticulously tailored (like the Acolyte costumes are).

If a Jedi is a mix between a monk and a samurai, the high republic looks to be a mix of a knight and a samurai. Removing the fullness of the sleeve in the runic and the robes to me makes it feel more western. For sure they removed all monk aspect from it in the high republic era from what I can see in concept art.

If a Jedi is a mix between a monk and a samurai, the high republic looks to be a mix of a knight and a samurai. Removing the fullness of the sleeve in the runic and the robes to me makes it feel more western. For sure they removed all monk aspect from it in the high republic era from what I can see in concept art.

They remain a strange group of celibate monks, of a sort, who take as their model a certain loafer in Los Angeles…

IMG_4032.jpeg
IMG_4034.jpeg

The more I see of this show, the more it looks like a fan film that cast all the main guy’s friends, and his mom also did the costumes.
I mean, that's basically how any show with Steve Carell or Will Ferrell usually works.
Or... well, just about anything these days. It's a "which friend can I call at the last minute to come do a thing" vibe in nearly every production.
Except for BSG cast members. They always seem to go all in on their characters, no matter how low budget a production is.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back