Star Wars Speeder Bike Scratch Build & Diorama

zenx13

Greetings - I wanted to share my Star Wars Speeded Bike build, I hope this is the best area to do that.

My main area of work is in Terrain Building and dioramas and the material I work with most often is XPS Foam (highly compressed pink insulation) so you are about to see a lot of pink!

Cheers!
Sean

First step of the project was to build the Speeder Bike. I was using a 3.75 inch scale Scout Trooper and wanted to build the bike to fit him. Using the drafting image (borrowed from the internet) I worked out a scale ration to match the figure.

Here are the starting sculpting of the main area of the bike:

01.jpg

02.JPG

03.JPG

Further development of the bike: engine work, foot pegs/supports and the front struts in development. Scout Trooper is fitting well so far.

I am a big fan of balsa wood and skewers / tooth picks and use them frequently in my builds.

04.jpg

So, Kenner's original Scout Trooper has vertical hands and they should be horizontal for the bike. Well, this poor dude needs a "second hand store" <insert groans here>.

05.jpg

I was still having some issues with fitting the Scout Trooper on the bike and holding the Maneuver Controls so I needed to remove a section of his arms to bring them in closer - I hope this doesn't offend anyone but it will be worth it in the end.

07.JPG

Scout Trooper is now sitting well on the bike and I have started on the Endor portion of the diorama. This part is a little more familiar to me as I build terrain for D&D games.

08.JPG

I had a really fun time weathering the Trooper - the bottom half has been started and you can see the difference to the original top portion.

09.JPG

Here is the finished project - it was a bit of a race to complete as it was for a Christmas present. There was a lot of terrain / flocking work at the end. I think the large Sequoia trees also came out well.

Overall I am really pleased with the diorama! I think it displays well and the bike is a very close replica to a screen version.

I hope you enjoyed this project.

10.jpg

11.JPG

12.jpg

13.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back