Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

"When asked by a fan if there were any new Star Trek series he thought rivaled his own, Shatner replied, “none of them.”

“I got to know [creator] Gene Roddenberry in three years fairly well,” said Shatner, “he’d be turning in his grave at some of this stuff.”"

Absolute Shatner GOLD!

"When asked by a fan if there were any new Star Trek series he thought rivaled his own, Shatner replied, “none of them.”

“I got to know [creator] Gene Roddenberry in three years fairly well,” said Shatner, “he’d be turning in his grave at some of this stuff.”"

Absolute Shatner GOLD!

And the courage, honesty, taste, and “devil may care” attitude (all of which are in short-supply today) of this legendary man is thus likely the reason why Paramount does not use the great William Shatner to represent “Classic Trek” in a their PR material and events, and instead—inexplicably—use George Takei, who played a tertiary character, rather than the star…

It’s comparable to Disney passing over Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill to represent OT Star Wars…

“See that guy wasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back here? That’s a character called Captain Kirk played by some guy named William Shatner…”

7E42DC45-EF27-4399-B94E-FF23C92A5637.jpeg

Last edited:
Roddenberry would never stand for a starship crew made up of crass insubordinate jackoffs.
He would never stand for the Federation standing by while an entire race was wiped out, not even Romulans.
He would never stand for the Federation creating androids to be used for slave labor.

Roddenberry would never stand for a starship crew made up of crass insubordinate jackoffs.
He would never stand for the Federation standing by while an entire race was wiped out, not even Romulans.
He would never stand for the Federation creating androids to be used for slave labor.
Yeah, he would really have hated the new stuff, especially Strange New Hair.

I wonder what he would have made of younger generation “fans” who actually like that stuff, and of actually having to explain to such people the difference between good storytelling and junk.

On the other hand, maybe that’s a waste of time.

My cousin recently posted this:

A wise man once said, ‘Bees don’t waste their time explaining to flies why honey is better than s***.’”

And the courage, honesty, taste, and “devil may care” attitude (all of which are in short-supply today) of this legendary man is thus likely the reason why Paramount does not use the great William Shatner to represent “Classic Trek” in a their PR material and events, and instead—inexplicably—use George Takei, who played a tertiary character, rather than the star…

It’s comparable to Disney passing over Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill to represent OT Star Wars…

“See that guy wasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back here? That’s a character called Captain Kirk played by some guy named William Shatner…”

View attachment 1600404

We know exactly why Takei is their spokesman. Identity is now the driving engine of the broken entertainment industry. Not talent. Not storytelling. Not history.

And Eugene Roddenberry JR. is proving that he has not got the slightest clue as to what Star Trek was to his father.

He puts his families name to this crap. But then again, it’s for a paycheck so that he doesn’t have to rely on selling copies of TNG scripts on his website to make a buck.

There’s another piece of work. Imagine holding a grudge against someone for fifty years. After all this time, he still resents Shatner.
And because he was mad that The Shat preferred to have lunch with Leonard and Deforest instead of him while on set.

I ran into George once too while my cousin in LA was doing some work at his condo in Pasadena. He’s not NEARLY as cordial as was my Shatner meeting.

There’s another piece of work. Imagine holding a grudge against someone for fifty years. After all this time, he still resents Shatner.

The past few years have really, really made me reevaluate things I had long taken for granted, in terms of media coverage of pop culture.

For as long as I can remember, Shatner has been painted by the media, fandom, and his castmates as an egocentric jerk who consistently held the rest of the cast down.

But there are two sides to every story. More and more, I’ve come to suspect that a large chunk of that long-standing myth is due to the simple fact that the secondary players in TOS (and, make no mistake, they WERE secondary players) ended up being typecast whilst simultaneously being deified by the fans. I think sour grapes combined with the extensive fan-worship had an effect on many of them, to the point where they needed a target for their bitterness.

Shatner may well have been an egomaniac. He may have counted lines in scripts. He may have flubbed takes to make himself look better. He may have had lines meant for other characters rewritten for him. But he’s always—always—given the impression that he’s a professional and a workaholic who doesn’t constantly air dirty laundry in public, and is always thinking about how to make the work (mostly through the prism of his character and his role in a story, which makes total sense) better.

He was the star of the show, and he absolutely worked hard to make Captain Kirk and STAR TREK the best they could be. STAR TREK was not an ensemble show, and the day players, beloved though they may be, were never the focus, and were never vital to its success. That’s the rock-bottom truth of it. Only De Kelley ascended from day player to co-star under Shatner and Nimoy, and he absolutely earned that spot.

Them’s the breaks.

And because he was mad that The Shat preferred to have lunch with Leonard and Deforest instead of him while on set.

I ran into George once too while my cousin in LA was doing some work at his condo in Pasadena. He’s not NEARLY as cordial as was my Shatner meeting.
I've met all of the TOS cast over the years and the least pleasant of all of them was George, by far.

They were plenty crass in TOS. Profanity

Sure, it was Coon who came up with the Prime Directive, not Roddenberry. But that's exactly what they were going to do in Pen Pal's, until Data made it so they had to interfere. I guess Gene didn't seem to care much then.

They weren't sentient. Not at least anymore than a program on the holodeck.

They were plenty crass in TOS. Profanity
The article says it was used rarely, thanks for making my point for me. Name the TOS episode that dropped S and F bombs. Name the episode where a crewman back talked Kirk and got away with it.

Sure, it was Coon who came up with the Prime Directive, not Roddenberry. But that's exactly what they were going to do in Pen Pal's, until Data made it so they had to interfere. I guess Gene didn't seem to care much then.
The Prime Directive was to protect primitive cultures, does not apply to the Romulans. The Federation helped the Klingons, why not Romulans?

They weren't sentient. Not at least anymore than a program on the holodeck.
They fought back with terrorist tactics. Sentient or not it wouldn't happen under Gene's watch.

I admire Shatner even more. I had the pleasure of spending two days with him at an event The Star Trek Original Series Set Tour in Ticonderoga ,was holding. He was first class all the way. He made everyone taking the tour with him feel special. He went out of his way to accommodate everyone.
No doubt the attacks on him will start for being honest.

Last edited:
The article says it was used rarely, thanks for making my point for me. Name the TOS episode that dropped S and F bombs. Name the episode where a crewman back talked Kirk and got away with it.
S bomb being Son of a? Plenty in TOS. Fact of the matter is what is considered crass changes over time. Growing up bitch was crass, now it's on the same level as damn in the 60's.

The Prime Directive was to protect primitive cultures, does not apply to the Romulans. The Federation helped the Klingons, why not Romulans?
They tried, twice. The synths hacked by the Tal-shiar destroyed the rescue fleet. Spock also attempted to stop the sun from going nova resulting in the Kelvin timeline. Admittedly after the destruction of the fleet, they were less willing to assist due to protectionism and lack of resources.

They fought back with terrorist tactics. Sentient or not it wouldn't happen under Gene's watch.
They did not, they were hacked by the Romulans.

S bomb being Son of a? Plenty in TOS. Fact of the matter is what is considered crass changes over time. Growing up bitch was crass, now it's on the same level as damn in the 60's.
S as in s**t. It makes no difference what's acceptable today, it's been well established that cursing was extremely rare in the 23rd century, another example of breaking canon.

They tried, twice. The synths hacked by the Tal-shiar destroyed the rescue fleet. Spock also attempted to stop the sun from going nova resulting in the Kelvin timeline. Admittedly after the destruction of the fleet, they were less willing to assist due to protectionism and lack of resources. - They did not, they were hacked by the Romulans.

Ugh, more of that quality storytelling.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back