Star Trek Geological Tricorder Build

Not to get off topic or Hijack the thread but any idea where I can find a Aluminum data drum for a classic build?

Looking forward to seeing progress on this!!
I have an extra as well, if anyone is looking

Edit: Correction. I checked my parts stash and I don’t know where my extra drum is. My mistake there.

Last edited:
I’m about to start on a Star Trek Season 3 “Geological Tricorder” project…

View attachment 1715894View attachment 1715893

I’m shocked to find that there really aren’t any builds of this model on the RPF.

Does anyone have an accurate build that they can post pictures of? I’m especially interested in seeing the construction of the “distress signal” blinking light box.

I’m planning on assembling a light box from soldered brass stock (that will be painted black with textured mylar applied), “milky” acrylic, and a blinking incandescent bulb.

I’m assuming the original employed a simple blinking incandescent bulb like the universal translator.

View attachment 1715900
Alley:

Member Lost in Trek Shared some of his TOS gorgeous tricorder builds with us not too long ago—including the attached Geological. Recently, I purchased a gutted Master Replicas that the previous owner planned on turning into a Geo. He offered me the cam and proper watch crowns, but I have other plans for the shell. He might be an RPF Member, but I don't know his handle. I can probably put you in touch with him if you have any interest.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Geo.jpg
    Geo.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 57
I soldered together the brass “distress indicator light” (pics to come) box and am pending the milky acrylic.

I don’t think the light was mounted directly in the “distress indicator box” itself, and behind the milk plex (the light would be waaaaaay too bright and “hot” if they did…I believe the incandescent bulb was actually mounted in the lower compartment, below, and shined up into the “distress indicator light box”.

I’ll be putting together a secondary “light box” in the lower compartment that will shine up directly into the “distress indicator” light box in the middle compartment.

IMG_9568.jpeg

Alley:

Member Lost in Trek Shared some of his TOS gorgeous tricorder builds with us not too long ago—including the attached Geological. Recently, I purchased a gutted Master Replicas that the previous owner planned on turning into a Geo. He offered me the cam and proper watch crowns, but I have other plans for the shell. He might be an RPF Member, but I don't know his handle. I can probably put you in touch with him if you have any interest.

Best. Mike.

Thanks, Mike!

I already have a very accurate Cam replica that I picked up from Ryan over at TFW.

The shells and aluminum frame I have are also comparable in scale to the MR (so, pretty darn accurate ;) ).

I’m ready to rock n’ roll…it’s a matter of my skill being able to pull this one off (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Not to get off topic or Hijack the thread but any idea where I can find a Aluminum data drum for a classic build?

Looking forward to seeing progress on this!!
I know a guy... He's Canadian, typically polite, and has turned many disc arrays for me. I'll be happy to put you in toch if you'd like.

Best. Mike.

This is Mike...

If you give me your contact information, I will forward it to him. We do a lot of business on Facebook Messenger, but he certainly has access to email and text
This is Mike...

If you give me your contact information, I will forward it to him. We do a lot of business on Facebook Messenger, but he certainly has access to email and text messaging.

Best. Mike.
Pm sent

I made some progress, today…

I completed the soldered brass “distress signal lightbox” and hit it with some primer. I test fit it in the picture below. So far, so good…

The lightbox has some heavier brass angle stock tabs that have also been soldered into the interior of the structure that will be used to screw the lightbox securely into the Tricorder aluminum frame. The right hand side of the lightbox box will also be screwed directly into the Tricorder frame. It should be really secure once mounted.

IMG_9754.jpeg

The milky acrylic front piece of the lightbox should arrive this coming weekend.

Last edited:
Moving along…

I finished what is the most nerve-wracking part of a Tricorder build—cutting and shaping the swiveling hood….this is what makes or breaks your build.

I am happy with the results (whew!).

IMG_0083.jpeg

This is where a drill press fitted with a cutting wheel is key to the operation.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, as much as I love my MR Tricorders, the hood is where they are a bit inaccurate….

The “real” prop exhibits a fairly thin profile for the hood, which is what is key in allowing it to swing widely on its axis as it does. The surviving hero in the Jein collection is pictured below:

IMG_0082.png

The MR hood is a bit too thick (likely to accommodate the electronics). You can see how much thicker the hood is here, on one of my MR Tricorders. This is what causes the hood to strike the upper frame bar on its opening axis.
IMG_0084.jpeg

In the series, the only Tricorder whose hood struck the top aluminum frame bar was the leatherette Tricorder, which did have a thicker hood, compared to the other midgrade Tricorders.

The leatherette:

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8084.jpeg

And a standard fiberglass midgrade exhibiting a much thinner hood profile:

IMG_0085.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back