Star Trek Geological Tricorder Build

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m about to start on a Star Trek Season 3 “Geological Tricorder” project…

IMG_9568.jpeg
IMG_9628.jpeg

I’m shocked to find that there really aren’t any builds of this model on the RPF.

Does anyone have an accurate build that they can post pictures of? I’m especially interested in seeing the construction of the “distress signal” blinking light box.

I’m planning on assembling a light box from soldered brass stock (that will be painted black with textured mylar applied), “milky” acrylic, and a blinking incandescent bulb.

I’m assuming the original employed a simple blinking incandescent bulb like the universal translator.

IMG_4076.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m really looking forward to this. :love: A novel build - yes! I think you may be right about the light assembly, especially if they already had them in the shop. Occam's razor.

I have seen copies of it but few and far between, sorry I can’t be of more help

I know yours will be awesome when it is finished though!

I built versions of each of the TOS tricorders, including the Geo. See this thread.

I built versions of each of the TOS tricorders, including the Geo. See this thread.

That is a beautiful build! Strange that your thread didn’t pull-up in my search.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the construction of the “distress signal” blinking box?

Only pic I could find of my Geo build…

Also attached a pic of two trics I built along with the parts to build.
Ok, that does give me a little more insight regarding the size and certain details of the box since our Tricorder frames are identical.

Thank you, Larry!

One question: did you incorporate the blinking light? If so, LED or incandescent?

You could always wait until someone finds the original in Wah Chang's sock drawer for reference :p

Yeah…they apparently gave away their limited amount of props like business cards to every guest star, regular player, gaffer, caterer, grip, director, producer, marketer, security guard, the guy that sold hot dogs with a cart outside the studio gates, and to the random passer-by within 50 yards of the studio, etc.

I’m sure the “original” will show up…

Ok, that does give me a little more insight regarding the size and certain details of the box since our Tricorder frames are identical.

Thank you, Larry!

One question: did you incorporate the blinking light? If so, LED or incandescent?

I did not… I tend not to put electronics in my props. I find I’ll play with them for a few days and then stop…

Not to get off topic or Hijack the thread but any idea where I can find a Aluminum data drum for a classic build?

Looking forward to seeing progress on this!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back