Star Trek Boomerang Phaser Build Q2 2023

Ok, thought I’d post an update on my phaser build. Thanks to everyone for the comments and tips so far! The body has turned out great, using Duplicolor GM347 medium grey metallic silver, Duplioclor flat black for the button pad and Duplicolor matte clear coat.

The nozzle and setting buttons on the other hand are still giving me issues. I’ve probably stripped and repainted them ten times with different combos of paints. Have been using Duplicolor grey primer but my Krylon Colormaxx Ivory for the buttons stays tacky every time I apply it.

Using the same primer on the nozzle, it either dries tacky using Krylon colormaxx gloss black or dries without proper gloss and a blotchy texture using Duplicolor gloss black. I’m planning to strip again using goof off and retry with Krylon satin black.

I picked up a can of the Silver Sand Metallic color today from an automotive paint shop using the codes posted on the thread. It looks nice on a spoon and I can’t wait to try it on another phaser once I get this first one finished. Its a little darker than the old Plastikote 7173 I have, but still looks great. Onward!

Attachments

• IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3498.jpeg
    IMG_3498.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3497.jpeg
    IMG_3497.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
For those that clear coat their props, do you just apply the clear to the final top color coat, or are you supposed to sand that top coat before applying the clear?

For those that clear coat their props, do you just apply the clear to the final top color coat, or are you supposed to sand that top coat before applying the clear?
If you want to you can do a very light wet sanding with 2000 or 2500 but really you should be just fine with out assuming it’s a smooth finish already

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back