Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

Nice find!

This is what he was trying to post...

newkirk.jpg

The phaser is a lot more faithful than I was expecting.
All this "galaxy quest" complaining is bunk.

You can clearly see the TOS influences in that design.

Or is everyone just mad because it's silver?

Ummm...Im not complaining about the prop design but since the Galaxy Quest Nebulizer was based on the phaser and...well, this new design doesnt look any more or less like a classic phaser then the nebulizer did. Nebulizer was EXTREMELY reminiscent of the Trek 3 phaser and in some instances more faithful to classic trek then this is. BTW, the nozzle assembly on this phaser pivots on a horizontal axis between stun and kill which I think is kind of silly and unnecessary. I like the tricorder...it has a TMP crossed with TWOK feel to it and the comm...well, coming soon to a cell phone KIOSK near you (which Im sure is the intention).
Also, Abrams himself has referenced Galaxy Quest as an inspiration so Im not sure how safe calling that 'bunk' is. It is what it is. Im reserving any more judgement til May.

The phaser is a lot more faithful than I was expecting.
All this "galaxy quest" complaining is bunk.

You can clearly see the TOS influences in that design.

Or is everyone just mad because it's silver?

Need to see more pix of the actual props... but my initial sensation (after the nausea has passed :lol) is, "OK fine... not too horrible."

The phaser looks like a phaser... or as much like a phaser as the aforementioned Trek 3, Trek 5 and GQ Neubulizer props do, anyway. The chrome bothers me.

The communicator we see better in those CES shots... and the prop has an "industrial design" look that's maybe too current and too plastic. But the comm is NOT silver, unlike the toy photo. So more info is needed.

And the tricorder... well folks that seems to fit right in between TMP and Trek III! It "looks" like a Tricorder. I have nothing bad to say about it. :lol

We could still argue all day about the "era" in which the movie is set, and the implications that has for how the props "ought" to look. But since it's evident that Abrams is chucking all of TOS continuity and replacing it with HIS continuity, there's not a whole lot of valid statements that can be made. I guess we ought to be thankful in those cases where Abrams DOES honor what came before. :unsure

Bottom line none of the landing party props look like deal-breakers for me. At least not to the extent of the WTF "tricorder" from Wrath of Khan, anyway. :lol

"The tri-corder MUST be BROKEN!" Amen Chekov.. Amen. :sleep

- k

I would bet good money that the whole point of the nifty red tip on the phaser is planning ahead for toy sales. A toy gun with an already built in safety red pointy thing so you know it's not real.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:lol:lol:lol

Okay, that really made me laugh... really hard!:lol

you gotta love having 18 pages of absoultely no usefull info!:love

Why dont we just wait till the damn movie comes out?

I hope they use a TNG season 1 dustbuster just so everyone explodes and riots take place and the dead rise from the grave!!!!:love

Well, the tricorder looks like a tricorder.
The communicator, at least we know there is something under the hood, and we now know where the lenticular graphic on the the toy will go. (Under the hood, green area)
The phaser, well.....still undecided, but not committed to hating it just yet! We'll need to see what color beam it shoots out first!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back