Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
This thread is, as the title suggests, all about examining, in exhausting detail, the phaser props from the upcoming Star Trek film, directed by J.J. Abrams!

I'm starting this thread up now in the hopes that pictures of the phaser props have started turning up, as I've run across someone on another messageboard that claims to have seen the phaser already! :cool

So, if you have any pictures of the phasers from the new film, please, share them with us! ;)

And just to whet everyone's appetite, here's a little blurb about the prop, from this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly:
Here on the set of director J.J. Abrams' $150 million bid to bring Gene Roddenberry's beloved sci-fi world back to the big screen, the two geek pop icons {that would be Kirk and Spock, BTW} have infiltrated a Romulan warcraft only to see their mission explode into a raging phaser fight. No longer are their signature Trek weapons boxy plastic toys, but sleek silver gizmos with spring-triggered barrels that revolve and glow in the transition from ''stun'' to ''kill.'' Problem is, every time Kirk raises his newfangled ray gun, the barrel revolves too early. Or too late. Or not at all. Giggles and unprintable curses fly. Someone lightens the mood with a quip: ''Most illogical, captain.''
Given that description of the new phaser props, I'm dying to see what they look like! :cool

Sneak peak......

000000761420031020171144.jpg

It could possibly be describing something that looks like the cage lasers? It looks like they went with the WNMHGB uniforms so that may make some king of sense. :eek

Whatever the prop looks like, I hope that for the official licensed replicas, the barrel revolves and glows as described in the EW blurb (in time... not early or late or not at all :lol)

The cage laser description was going a bit far on my part. It doesn't look like a cage laser really, but the function is similar. I'm going to stop talking about it now...

I saw another contraption that I believe is some kind of MRI type medical scanner. VERY thin walled light blue tube with a table that slides in and out. My friend got in it and everything haha

That's all from me.

The cage laser description was going a bit far on my part. It doesn't look like a cage laser really, but the function is similar. I'm going to stop talking about it now...

That's all from me.

Hmmmmm, there seems to be alot of people who have already seen the phaser

seriously though... I'm becoming more and more curious about how the gear has been upgraded.
I hope it's still fairly recognizeable, although I won't complain if it's something new.

one quick question. The new movie is about when the Very first Enterprise was built and sent into space rite? (After first contact was made [not the movie])

Ummm... no. This is a soulless remake of the original crew... the very first Enterprise built after First Contact was the NX-01. This about Kirk and company, flying around in some hollow copy of the original Enterprise carrying tricorders tinier than TNG tricorders and phasers that look like they're from Galaxy Quest.

...on the bright side I can take the ten bucks I would have spent on watching it and put it towards the AA tricorder when it finally becomes available.

Ummm... no. This is a soulless remake of the original crew... the very first Enterprise built after First Contact was the NX-01. This about Kirk and company, flying around in some hollow copy of the original Enterprise carrying tricorders tinier than TNG tricorders and phasers that look like they're from Galaxy Quest.

...on the bright side I can take the ten bucks I would have spent on watching it and put it towards the AA tricorder when it finally becomes available.

Oh, you've seen the movie already? Cool!

Your kidding rite. Well thats sucks. Wynona isn't going to make it much better ither

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back