Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

I made a 3D model of Rex a year or two ago. I didn't make it for 3D printing, I made it as a model to use in a fan film that I've been working on, but the program I made it in is a program for making 3D print models and I've used the program for 3D print models before, so it should be able to be printed out. Keep in mind that the models aren't incredibly detailed (I did most of the detailing as textures to save poly count) and it would need to be resized, but I can send the files to you if you'd like.
View attachment 940401

Yes I would be interested in the model you have. Thanks for offering it.

New to posting in the RPF, but a huge Disney and Star Wars geek. Haakesack's work has inspired me to start my own RX-24 build. I'm basing my model on a hybrid of the Star Wars Rebels version of the droid because it has cleaner lines that I think will 3D print much easier. I'm adding a smattering of the smaller details from Star Tours here and there as well - so it's a hybrid. Just starting on a head model at first, then I'll think about body design after I've got that in hand.

I've bashed together a pretty good model file using nothing but Tinkercad and have done a test print at 1/3 scale or so to see how things fit and work together before committing to all the plastic. I'm keeping the model as hollow as possible for the possibility of some future electronics. Have a look:

View attachment 676708View attachment 676709

The supports on the visor lift arms gave up midway through the print, which seems to have botched a few of the travels (check out the cracked and warped mouth structure). But I'm overall happy with where the model is. With a few slight tweaks where I couldn't see collision in Tinkercad, I think I'm ready to order some more filament and start on the full sized beast.

Just for info's sake, I'm using a Monoprice MakerSelect v2 for printing.

-TJJohn12
I know that it has been a while, have you made any progress on Rex? I am still looking for some 3D files for the head. I think I can model the rest but the head is way out of my league.

Thanks

New to posting in the RPF, but a huge Disney and Star Wars geek. Haakesack's work has inspired me to start my own RX-24 build. I'm basing my model on a hybrid of the Star Wars Rebels version of the droid because it has cleaner lines that I think will 3D print much easier. I'm adding a smattering of the smaller details from Star Tours here and there as well - so it's a hybrid. Just starting on a head model at first, then I'll think about body design after I've got that in hand.

I've bashed together a pretty good model file using nothing but Tinkercad and have done a test print at 1/3 scale or so to see how things fit and work together before committing to all the plastic. I'm keeping the model as hollow as possible for the possibility of some future electronics. Have a look:

View attachment 676708View attachment 676709

The supports on the visor lift arms gave up midway through the print, which seems to have botched a few of the travels (check out the cracked and warped mouth structure). But I'm overall happy with where the model is. With a few slight tweaks where I couldn't see collision in Tinkercad, I think I'm ready to order some more filament and start on the full sized beast.

Just for info's sake, I'm using a Monoprice MakerSelect v2 for printing.

-TJJohn12
Are you able to share these 3d printing files? I've made a wall-e and want to try my favorite bot!

Hey Jake,

Yeah I think I've got it pegged (finally). The ears are 4.5" dia , the head dome is 11" dia and the visible outer dia of the 3po mouth is somewhere between 1.4" and 1.5".

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through a new CAD drawing of Rex since usajdm posted more pictures and the dimensions are finally agreeing with themselves. With the 4.5" ears, the mouth size was only about a tenth of an inch off which I'm happy to blame on parallax/distance to camera. Feel free to mock up but if you hold out for a few weeks I should be able to get a completed CAD drawing up which should save you some serious dimension-figuring time.

Here are a couple of pictures of whats going on:
View attachment 524667View attachment 524672View attachment 524671
View attachment 524668View attachment 524669
Hi, I was wondering if I could use some of these STL files. I am a mechanical engineering student and in our 3D print club. A friend of mine wants me to help modify his Galaxy's Edge R unit to be themed to Star Tours, but I'm not confident enough in my fusion skills to model his "helmet" dome look with the ears and visor accurately.

Hi, I was wondering if I could use some of these STL files. I am a mechanical engineering student and in our 3D print club. A friend of mine wants me to help modify his Galaxy's Edge R unit to be themed to Star Tours, but I'm not confident enough in my fusion skills to model his "helmet" dome look with the ears and visor accurately.
HI PST! My files wont be any good for that project as they're not printer ready. However, take a look at this facebook group (Captain Rex (RX-24) Pilot Droid Builders). Patrick has done an incredible job at making some printer ready Rex parts. You'll probably still need some fusion time to adapt them to your specific need but it'll get you much closer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back