Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

Yep exactly. Here's the basic process:

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking at drawing in some of the lines now using a pair of compasses to get the basic shape down. My question for you is:

12417711_10156415764795319_6972520278106980592_n.jpg

What length would the red line on this image be? (To set the compasses)
What length would the blue line on this image be? (Again to set the compasses to draw the area to cut off)

Thanks!

What length would the red line on this image be? (To set the compasses)
What length would the blue line on this image be? (Again to set the compasses to draw the area to cut off)

Thanks!

First of all, super jealous of that 11" bauble!!!! thats perfect. It's actually relatively hard to find a sphere that large. I trying to put something together so that everyone can find the dimensions they need. Give me a little more time on that, work is nuts at the moment :)

Funny that Kris and I would both wander into this thread just hours apart.

Saw one of your videos on YouTube and thought I'd drop in over here and see the progress.

Alex

That really is all looking amazing! Wish I could 3D print a 1:3th size or something.

Thanks Kris, That's part of the plan ;) I'll have to do quite a bit of modification to the model but it shouldn't be too hard. I'll get back to everyone about that!

Funny that Kris and I would both wander into this thread just hours apart.

Saw one of your videos on YouTube and thought I'd drop in over here and see the progress.

Alex

Hey Alex, Just responded to the youtube video. it's a good bit of reference regardless of the accuracy of the timing of the shots. The more I watch videos and think about it, the more I think DC motors and encoders are going to be the way to go instead of steppers or servos. We'll see.

It took me some digging to remember a term I was looking for about Audio-Animatronic upgrades over the years. "Compliance" technology was a development that occurred in the late 80s and early 90s, allowing smoother, faster movements. It was first used in 1989, from what I found in an online search. It's likely that the Rex AA's in Anaheim were renovated with Compliance in early 1994, as that is definitely when all four original simulator cabins were removed and replaced due to wear and tear, as reported in the March '94 Disneyland Line cast magazine (vol 26, no 9).

The really geeky thing I have to point out is... Paul Reubens did another voice for Disney in 1986-- that of "Max" the silver spaceship from Flight of the Navigator. (He's credited under the pseudonym Paul Mall.) And one of Max's recurring lines, when obeying an order from the Navigator, is?

"Compliance!"

Alex

Last edited:
Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to the RPF and noticed this project. I've been working on my own Rex for the last year or so. I'm currently working on the body and it has been a learning experience. If you guys have any questions about this build, I can try my best to answer. Here is a pic of the head a few months ago. There are a few elements I've changed since, but....yeah...just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
IMG_1006.jpg

Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to the RPF and noticed this project. I've been working on my own Rex for the last year or so. I'm currently working on the body and it has been a learning experience. If you guys have any questions about this build, I can try my best to answer. Here is a pic of the head a few months ago. There are a few elements I've changed since, but....yeah...just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
View attachment 620339

Wow, that looks awesome! Details please. 3D printed parts, or a scratch build? Not started anything on Rex yet (I'd be happy with just a static head myself) so any and all info (with WIP pics) would be great.

It's a scratch build. I've 3D printed and molded new ear pieces to be more accurate since this photo. I've made molds and cast them in fiberglass so it is very light. Again, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. I'll post a few pictures of the molds and fiberglass pieces before they are painted.

Re: Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

Hey everybody,

View attachment 620339

So cool to see one being built! The paint looks great, you're nailing the general softness of the corners of everything. Keep pushing forward!

- - - Updated - - -

*TEASER*
There will be an informative post that MANY of you will enjoy sometime this week!

New to posting in the RPF, but a huge Disney and Star Wars geek. Haakesack's work has inspired me to start my own RX-24 build. I'm basing my model on a hybrid of the Star Wars Rebels version of the droid because it has cleaner lines that I think will 3D print much easier. I'm adding a smattering of the smaller details from Star Tours here and there as well - so it's a hybrid. Just starting on a head model at first, then I'll think about body design after I've got that in hand.

I've bashed together a pretty good model file using nothing but Tinkercad and have done a test print at 1/3 scale or so to see how things fit and work together before committing to all the plastic. I'm keeping the model as hollow as possible for the possibility of some future electronics. Have a look:

IMG_9836.JPGIMG_9834.JPG

The supports on the visor lift arms gave up midway through the print, which seems to have botched a few of the travels (check out the cracked and warped mouth structure). But I'm overall happy with where the model is. With a few slight tweaks where I couldn't see collision in Tinkercad, I think I'm ready to order some more filament and start on the full sized beast.

Just for info's sake, I'm using a Monoprice MakerSelect v2 for printing.

-TJJohn12

Sweet! I do have a bunch of pictures too that WDI let me take of Rex at the recent D23. I'll have those on my Dropbox and share the link here. I'm looking forward to doing a full-scale build with R/C control and even locomotion for Rex.

Nice. I REALLY need to start this one day, when I get BB-8 finished.

Nice to here that Rex will be making a comeback at Disney's Galaxy's Edge as a DJ. :thumbsup

I realize that I'm pretty late to the party, but this thread helped me out immensely with my Captain Rex build! Star Tours has always been my favorite ride at Disney World, and Rex is simply amazing and I've always wanted to have him.
Special thanks to Haakesack for the plans and decals, I printed them out 1:1 scale and hung them on my wall. They were essential!
I made my Rex out of wood, PVC pipe, plastic and EVA foam. And I busted him out in 3 weeks (start to finish) so I could have him meet Paul Ruebens at MegaCon here in Florida. It was one of my greatest convention experiences ever and it all started here. Thanks to you all, I referred to this thread almost daily during my build.

His arms can all rotate 360 degrees around his body and are poseable. His eyes light up with a simple LED battery pack of Xmas lights. He has 4 castor wheels on his base so I can push him around easily.
I have lots more build photos, but here's a few of them:
Collage2.PNG

New to posting in the RPF, but a huge Disney and Star Wars geek. Haakesack's work has inspired me to start my own RX-24 build. I'm basing my model on a hybrid of the Star Wars Rebels version of the droid because it has cleaner lines that I think will 3D print much easier. I'm adding a smattering of the smaller details from Star Tours here and there as well - so it's a hybrid. Just starting on a head model at first, then I'll think about body design after I've got that in hand.

I've bashed together a pretty good model file using nothing but Tinkercad and have done a test print at 1/3 scale or so to see how things fit and work together before committing to all the plastic. I'm keeping the model as hollow as possible for the possibility of some future electronics. Have a look:

View attachment 676708View attachment 676709

The supports on the visor lift arms gave up midway through the print, which seems to have botched a few of the travels (check out the cracked and warped mouth structure). But I'm overall happy with where the model is. With a few slight tweaks where I couldn't see collision in Tinkercad, I think I'm ready to order some more filament and start on the full sized beast.

Just for info's sake, I'm using a Monoprice MakerSelect v2 for printing.

-TJJohn12
Looks great have you made any more progress? My son and I want to 3d print a captain Rex to go with R2 and Chopper. I am hoping to find someone with the files for the head, I am pretty sure that we can do the design for the body and base, Just not that good with cad tools.

Looks great have you made any more progress? My son and I want to 3d print a captain Rex to go with R2 and Chopper. I am hoping to find someone with the files for the head, I am pretty sure that we can do the design for the body and base, Just not that good with cad tools.
I made a 3D model of Rex a year or two ago. I didn't make it for 3D printing, I made it as a model to use in a fan film that I've been working on, but the program I made it in is a program for making 3D print models and I've used the program for 3D print models before, so it should be able to be printed out. Keep in mind that the models aren't incredibly detailed (I did most of the detailing as textures to save poly count) and it would need to be resized, but I can send the files to you if you'd like.
SWPR-RX24.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back