SPIDER GWEN Build (Pic Heavy)

Impressive for a first timer,Hendo:thumbsup I hope your work in progress will go smooth and most of all: that you get to enjoy the building process without too many hiccups!
Good luck :popcorn

So what's your next step? Will you be making your own zentai (if you were planning on using a zentai at all,that is),or buy one that you customize?
In what/howmany parts will you be dividing your costume?

Really smart on your part to have stretched the fabric on your face shell to see what could be improve/reduced. Looking forward to many more updates:)

So what's your next step? Will you be making your own zentai (if you were planning on using a zentai at all,that is),or buy one that you customize?
In what/howmany parts will you be dividing your costume?

I bought a file from Or Hadar and edited it a bunch. It should be printing as we speak from Fabric on Demand. But yeah, I'm going to be sewing that myself. I still have to make the lenses too, which will probably be my weekend project in addition to doing the puff paint on the suit before sewing.

I bought a file from Or Hadar and edited it a bunch. It should be printing as we speak from Fabric on Demand. But yeah, I'm going to be sewing that myself. I still have to make the lenses too, which will probably be my weekend project in addition to doing the puff paint on the suit before sewing.

Out of curiosity, what parts are you going to puff paint?

Out of curiosity, what parts are you going to puff paint?

I was planning on painting all of it. I'm not sure if I should use regular matte paint for the black, white, and magenta, and do puff only for the neon blue part. Or just puff the whole thing. I'm afraid it will be more difficult to sew if I make the base paint too thick/puffy. I'm aware that I will probably want to kill myself by the time I paint all of it, lol

I was planning on painting all of it. I'm not sure if I should use regular matte paint for the black, white, and magenta, and do puff only for the neon blue part. Or just puff the whole thing. I'm afraid it will be more difficult to sew if I make the base paint too thick/puffy. I'm aware that I will probably want to kill myself by the time I paint all of it, lol

Paint the whole black part?! That will be insane! It would probably look incredible, but doing the whole thing would be time consuming. Maybe instead, overlay some faux leather over the black parts? This is just my opinion. It's your suit, so go whichever path you want.

As for the blue and magenta parts, I think that will look good!

Paint the whole black part?! That will be insane! It would probably look incredible, but doing the whole thing would be time consuming. Maybe instead, overlay some faux leather over the black parts? This is just my opinion. It's your suit, so go whichever path you want.

As for the blue and magenta parts, I think that will look good!

Yeah it's gonna be a lot, lol. I'm not actually sure how it will look, I haven't ever looked at the suit of a Spidey cosplayer who did it. I'm going with this method since I want to still be able to see the muscle base of the bring, but add some dimension to it. Might also help with the transparency of the white fabric. We'll see!

Yeah it's gonna be a lot, lol. I'm not actually sure how it will look, I haven't ever looked at the suit of a Spidey cosplayer who did it. I'm going with this method since I want to still be able to see the muscle base of the bring, but add some dimension to it. Might also help with the transparency of the white fabric. We'll see!

I forgot about the shading and the white fabric.

This is going to be an interesting build. Good luck!

Update: Faceshell sealed and finished!

1. First picture is how it looks when it's wet; second is dry (still kinda shiny). Modge Podge makes it sturdy, but is still a little flexible. I might look for a way to really harden it.

1. Glaze.jpg 2. Glaze.jpg

2. Shots of the final shape (1st one is for comparison). I like this profile much better, even if the brow/nose/chin changes aren't that noticeable.

3. Sanding.jpg 3. Glaze.jpg 4. Glaze.jpg

3. Here is a shot of all the materials I used for this faceshell. Below are the prices of the main stuff and total cost.
- Cardboard (cereal box): $3
- Masking Tape: $2
- Dry Dex (quart): $6.50
- Sanding block: $3
- Sanding paper (400grt): $3.50
- Modge Podge (16oz. Matte): $7
TOTAL: $25

5. Glaze.jpg

Later this week I'll start drilling holes and making the frames!

Last edited:
First timer my foot :D you're a pro.Great work so far,Hendo.
You mentioned puffy painting the black part of the zentai...I remember a guy on youtube who did this with blue puffy paint for his Spider-man build,so I'd say that it is possible (will cost a lot though).Keep in mind that it is not about how it looks afterwards,but how it feels.Puffy paint has the tendency to tighten your zentai once painted,so you might end up with a smaller size.Just be careful.

Last edited:
First timer my foot :D you're a pro.Great work so far,Hendo.
You mentioned puffy painting the black part of the zentai...I remember a guy on youtube who did this with blue puffy paint for his Spider-man build,so I'd say that it is possible (will cost a lot though).Keep in mind that it is not about how it looks afterwards,but how it feels.Puffy paint has the tendency to tighten your zentai once painted,so you might end up with a smaller size.Just be careful.

It took a lot of researching these forums lol glad you think it looks good! I suppose I'll have to wait until my print comes in to decide if I want to paint the whole thing.

Here it is with the fabric again. Looking into this shape for the eyes.
0310151354.jpg

I'm sure there is a type of (acrylic) paint out there that could give a similar (glossy) effect to the black part of the costume without causing size problems,but that's beyond my knowledge.
The lenses look like the TASM 2 version that Zentaizone sells/Tjack makes - I like the wider look compared to the slim Tobey McGuire version.

Ugh, so Fabric on Demand is crazy late printing my suit. It should have shipped by today (I paid for it 10 days ago), but now they say it might not ship until the 22nd, which is 10 days from today. I am kind of upset since I paid $40 on top of $150 to have it printed and shipped expedited. Has anyone had this problem with them before? I've tried to be really nice, but if it takes another 10 days, I'll basically have only a week to paint and sew the thing...

yikes.

Ugh, so Fabric on Demand is crazy late printing my suit. It should have shipped by today (I paid for it 10 days ago), but now they say it might not ship until the 22nd, which is 10 days from today. I am kind of upset since I paid $40 on top of $150 to have it printed and shipped expedited. Has anyone had this problem with them before? I've tried to be really nice, but if it takes another 10 days, I'll basically have only a week to paint and sew the thing...

yikes.

I have had multiple issues with them in the past - from late shipments to files printed incorrectly to them actually forgetting to print parts of the file I sent them.

yikes.
I just got my print from them yesterday. I waited about 2 weeks after the date it was supposed to be delivered. Also payed for the express shipping. I must've viewed the proof on a screen not calibrated for cmyk because my print is super dark. To the point where it looks more burgundy than the bright red I'd wanted. The one thing I've learned when dealing with FoD is always always always ask for a test print. It's worth the few dollars just to make sure you're getting what you asked for. And to be fair, I've been dealing with Erin there and she's wonderful and really really helpful :).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back