Space:1999 being rebooted as "Space:2099"

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced an agreement today for the development of “SPACE: 2099”

Space2099 Forums - SPACE: 2099 Frequently Asked Questions

Actually... believe it or not...

I am eager to see how this turns out.

I like to say that the original Space1999 was TWO shows in one. The first show was real boring, with wooden acting and ridiculous plots, and that show took place INSIDE the moonbase.

But the OTHER show.... the one that took place OUTSIDE, only in special effects shots, the Eagles and other spaceships... THAT show was fantastic. :)

k

Found in the site's "official art" section."

POSTER1.jpg

As long as they don't include that alien with the one eye, who would eat the humans and then spit out their skeletons... as a kid that creeped me completely out! :)

But if they're going to keep reviving old series, this doesn't seem like such a bad idea. The Eagle looks the same (so far) and if they just modernize the theme, I could be OK with it. I wonder if Juliet Landau would be interested in her mom's role...

Sadly I am not digging the bubble lenses on the Eagle in the concept art. Also what is up with that spiky thing on the side (where the "fuel tank pods" are on a real Eagle). They seem to have also lost the exterior spine framework which, frankly is non-negotiable... the whole modular concept relies on that.

(actually on further inspection, I see that the "Asimov" vehicle/installation in the background does have some crossbeam structures on it that look like the old Eagle cagework. And the foreground Eagle probably does have the spine, it's just integrated into the structure and doesn't stand up like the old ships.)

They need to fix only one thing about the Eagles... the interior. :unsure

sphdbs167.jpg

The cockpit seats are below the floor on the interior set...

But suddenly when you cut to the outside

sphdbs1847.jpg

:lol

But that's the only thing. Absolutely everything else must remain exactly the same. :sleep

Last edited:
...And in 2099 we have the iPhone 73, 3D TVs, and cars are still on the ground while the world is still the same, then they will remake the movie as 2199 since the world still hasn't catched up with the movie story...

As long as it's not as boring as watching another person pick his nose, I'll probably like it.

The UK's low-rent kings of crap genre TV (Demons, anyone?) and reality arse teams up with the guys who managed to make V a boring concept.

Bated breath :lol

ABOUT ITV STUDIOS AMERICA
ITV Studios America, the US based production entity of ITV Studios in the UK, is one of the largest international producers for the US market and a major force in acquiring, developing and producing reality and scripted programming for US networks. ITV Studios America has a slate of formats in production with major networks and syndicators, including Hell’s Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, First 48, After the First 48, Steven Seagal-Lawman, Four Weddings, Fat Chef, My Ride Rules, On The Fly, The Bill Cunningham Show, America Now and The Jeremy Kyle Show.

ABOUT HDFILMS INC.
HDFILMS INC. is a production company primarily focused on creating premium online content as well as film, television, and videogames. As the development visionary and Executive Producer of the recently re-imagined "V" television series on ABC, Jace Hall has been the driving force behind numerous creative projects across many media types.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how *would* you rip the moon out of orbit without shredding it in the process?

Ooo! The Doorway to Speculation is open wide. :)

Bear with me because I've had decades to consider this one. :lol

On the old show, it was a huge quantity of nuclear waste material, stored in drums on the far side of the moon, which became "magnetically unstable" and which started releasing energy in a process previously unknown to science (tho Professor Bergman sussed it out easily enough... :rolleyes)

Anyway, it was sci fi handwaving, and Isaac Asimov would have none of it

Space: 1999 Catacombs: Asimov
Space: 1999 Catacombs: Trek vs Space 1999

...which probably explains the name of that vehicle in the teaser poster... :rolleyes

Anyway, I digress. Clearly Space 1999 is not dependent on strict science (for that matter, how did the Moon travel faster than light in order to visit new alien planets every week? Never explained).

So I propose, just put the pedal to the metal. Every science fiction story is entitled to one big inexplicable "what if". So just run with it: an exotic new form of antimatter fusion, being experimented with on the far side of the moon, goes inexplicably supercritical. A rip in the fabric of spacetime is created. Superstrings are severed, dimension gates are torn open, who cares. :lol

The bottom line: the effect is so vast, it shatters the Moon and hurls the biggest chunk (with Alpha on it of course) into some kind of space warp. In the warp, the moon jumps great distances - or alternately, into different parallel universes.

Here's the kicker: We propel the show forward by continuing to jump Alpha. Either it stays in an unstable "warp"continuum that randomly moves at unpredictable intervals, or else the warp effect keeps occurring for some other technobabble reason.

Builds tension, because our people don't know how long they have to explore a new place before Alpha takes off again. Oh, and they can never go back again. People WILL be left behind.

Or they could just have the exploding nuclear waste function as a sort of giant rocket motor, pushing the moon out of orbit. In other words, ignore the problem. :lol

k

I read years ago in an interview with Brian Johnson that they were going to change the Eagles for season 3 in minor ways. I think the legs would retract and the bottom windows worked.

Leave them as is. The Thunderbirds movie re-did the 'birds, and it still sucked. Focus on the script.

i loved this show, and cherished my green dinky die cast eagle, even after the tiny red boosters had broken off, the silver bell engines had chipped and broken. It was the first toy i ever modded by painting over the green with white house paint (accidentally sealing the body doors shut) I remember the springed landing gear.... never missed an episode.

lets just hope that the moon base isn't called 'gingrich base 1'

Should be every interesting, from the hadware side I hope they don't change too much, but on the acting side get away from the forest of trees that they had back in the 70's and get some real actors.

Hmm suggestions for actors to play main characters.

Adrian Pasdar (Nathan in Heroes) John Keonig
Lucy Lawless (Deanna in BSG) Helena Russsel
Chris Eccleston (9th doctor) Professor Victor Bergman
Alex O’Loughlin ( Steve McGarrett Hawaii 5O) Alan Carter

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back