Space:1999 being rebooted as "Space:2099"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by phase pistol, Feb 12, 2012.

1. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced an agreement today for the development of “SPACE: 2099”

Space2099 Forums - SPACE: 2099 Frequently Asked Questions

Actually... believe it or not...

I am eager to see how this turns out.

I like to say that the original Space1999 was TWO shows in one. The first show was real boring, with wooden acting and ridiculous plots, and that show took place INSIDE the moonbase.

But the OTHER show.... the one that took place OUTSIDE, only in special effects shots, the Eagles and other spaceships... THAT show was fantastic. :)

k

2. phase pistol

Found in the site's "official art" section."

[​IMG]

3. Grant Da Modeler

Grant Da Modeler Well-Known Member

Could be fun ... let's hope they don't muck it up !!

The original series was a favorite of mine, as a kid. The SFX still
    look cool today.

4. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

As long as they don't include that alien with the one eye, who would eat the humans and then spit out their skeletons... as a kid that creeped me completely out! :)

But if they're going to keep reviving old series, this doesn't seem like such a bad idea. The Eagle looks the same (so far) and if they just modernize the theme, I could be OK with it. I wonder if Juliet Landau would be interested in her mom's role...

5. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

Please don't murder the Eagle. I'm praying they use the same vehicle. It's still very contemporary...

6. phase pistol

Sadly I am not digging the bubble lenses on the Eagle in the concept art. Also what is up with that spiky thing on the side (where the "fuel tank pods" are on a real Eagle). They seem to have also lost the exterior spine framework which, frankly is non-negotiable... the whole modular concept relies on that.

(actually on further inspection, I see that the "Asimov" vehicle/installation in the background does have some crossbeam structures on it that look like the old Eagle cagework. And the foreground Eagle probably does have the spine, it's just integrated into the structure and doesn't stand up like the old ships.)

They need to fix only one thing about the Eagles... the interior. :unsure

[​IMG]

The cockpit seats are below the floor on the interior set...

But suddenly when you cut to the outside

[​IMG]

:lol

But that's the only thing. Absolutely everything else must remain exactly the same. :sleep

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If they make it REAL Sci Fi it could rock.

8. Jehudah Design

Jehudah Design Well-Known Member

...And in 2099 we have the iPhone 73, 3D TVs, and cars are still on the ground while the world is still the same, then they will remake the movie as 2199 since the world still hasn't catched up with the movie story...

As long as it's not as boring as watching another person pick his nose, I'll probably like it.

9. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

So how *would* you rip the moon out of orbit without shredding it in the process?

10. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The UK's low-rent kings of crap genre TV (Demons, anyone?) and reality * teams up with the guys who managed to make V a boring concept.

Bated breath :lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  11. CessnaDriver

They could cook up some exotic thing like a wormhole or something I suppose. Blowing it out of orbit by nuclear explosion is not an option
    for today's audiences.

12. phase pistol

Ooo! The Doorway to Speculation is open wide. :)

Bear with me because I've had decades to consider this one. :lol

On the old show, it was a huge quantity of nuclear waste material, stored in drums on the far side of the moon, which became "magnetically unstable" and which started releasing energy in a process previously unknown to science (tho Professor Bergman sussed it out easily enough... :rolleyes)

Anyway, it was sci fi handwaving, and Isaac Asimov would have none of it

Space: 1999 Catacombs: Asimov
    Space: 1999 Catacombs: Trek vs Space 1999

...which probably explains the name of that vehicle in the teaser poster... :rolleyes

Anyway, I digress. Clearly Space 1999 is not dependent on strict science (for that matter, how did the Moon travel faster than light in order to visit new alien planets every week? Never explained).

So I propose, just put the pedal to the metal. Every science fiction story is entitled to one big inexplicable "what if". So just run with it: an exotic new form of antimatter fusion, being experimented with on the far side of the moon, goes inexplicably supercritical. A rip in the fabric of spacetime is created. Superstrings are severed, dimension gates are torn open, who cares. :lol

The bottom line: the effect is so vast, it shatters the Moon and hurls the biggest chunk (with Alpha on it of course) into some kind of space warp. In the warp, the moon jumps great distances - or alternately, into different parallel universes.

Here's the kicker: We propel the show forward by continuing to jump Alpha. Either it stays in an unstable "warp"continuum that randomly moves at unpredictable intervals, or else the warp effect keeps occurring for some other technobabble reason.

Builds tension, because our people don't know how long they have to explore a new place before Alpha takes off again. Oh, and they can never go back again. People WILL be left behind.

Or they could just have the exploding nuclear waste function as a sort of giant rocket motor, pushing the moon out of orbit. In other words, ignore the problem. :lol

k

13. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

This looks like it is going to kick major A$$. It is about time too.

14. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I read years ago in an interview with Brian Johnson that they were going to change the Eagles for season 3 in minor ways. I think the legs would retract and the bottom windows worked.

Leave them as is. The Thunderbirds movie re-did the 'birds, and it still sucked. Focus on the script.

15. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

That Asimov ship in the background looks interesting. I vaguely remember reruns of 1999.

16. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

i loved this show, and cherished my green dinky die cast eagle, even after the tiny red boosters had broken off, the silver bell engines had chipped and broken. It was the first toy i ever modded by painting over the green with white house paint (accidentally sealing the body doors shut) I remember the springed landing gear.... never missed an episode.

lets just hope that the moon base isn't called 'gingrich base 1'

17. BlasterManiac

BlasterManiac Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Joust about time.
    They better not **** up my beloved stun guns.

18. GDafi

GDafi Sr Member

Should be every interesting, from the hadware side I hope they don't change too much, but on the acting side get away from the forest of trees that they had back in the 70's and get some real actors.

Hmm suggestions for actors to play main characters.

Adrian Pasdar (Nathan in Heroes) John Keonig
    Lucy Lawless (Deanna in BSG) Helena Russsel
    Chris Eccleston (9th doctor) Professor Victor Bergman
    Alex O’Loughlin ( Steve McGarrett Hawaii 5O) Alan Carter

19. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  20. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Space 1999 was the original doom & gloom show :lol

21. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

I'm not holding my breath, but I hope they don't change the designs of the Eagle or the Stun guns too much.
    Anything else is fine.
    I'm looking forward to following the progress of this series.

22. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

23. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...and they meet up with the SDF-1?

[​IMG]

24. CessnaDriver

Yeah it's true, it was sort of an anti-Star Trek.

They we're lunar garbage men, they were forced away from earth, it was all about survival, an uncertain future, IF there was going to be a future, cosmic forces were not on their side.

But on the flip side, they never gave up and scratched and clawed for every chance at survival.

25. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Can't agree more. Making this take place within two
    generations time defeats the purpose of the name change.

26. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll always have a fondness for the show, but it was typical of 70s dramas (especially British ones) in which a half-hour of story is crammed into 60 minutes. How much corridor walking and tube-riding does a show really need?

Cautiously hopeful on this one.

27. Contec

Contec Master Member

Cough!!... Stargate:Universe plot line.... Cough!!

28. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Sorry, I LIKE the Eagle Redesign, makes it look lean and mean. Now Gimme a Diecast please.

One question re the poster...if the moon is in the background, where the heck are they standing?

29. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

Well, I'll certainly have a look at it if it actually comes out, but I'm not all that optimistic just yet. The biggest shortcoming of the original was the writing- I'd be interested in they've got penning this new version...

30. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Decent writing would ruin Space 1999. As would any re-design of the Eagle along the lines seen in that art. Yeah, wow, get rid of the cages and girders. Nice going.:rolleyes

31. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

I second that.....and .........actually.........don't touch the eagles at all!!!
    Just get rid of the flares and the cuban heel boots!

How gay do I sound!!!??? :lol

32. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whatever they come up with it can't be any worse than the original! :lol

33. phase pistol

Never saw it. :sleep

34. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

I'm skeptical.....but then I also pretty sure the BSG reboot would suck out load, but it turned out far better than I could have imagined. I'll take a wait and see approach. It's all in the execution and how seriously they take it.

35. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

I like the the new landing pod things on the new Eagle. I don't like the bug eye bubbles they added to the windows. They just don't fit the shape.

36. Contec

Contec Master Member

The MOON?....IT'S EARTH

37. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

No, It is definately the Moon
    I think he and the Eagle are on the spaceship from the first poster.

38. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I Meant this poster -

[​IMG]

39. Contec

Contec Master Member

Oh... i never saw that poster. thought you were talking about the other one :behave

40. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

You read my mind when I first saw it but I was afraid nobody on here would really know what the SDF-1 was. :lol Better watch out the owners of Robotech don't come after them for using that shape, they love suing folks.

41. p51

p51 Sr Member

Oh, I so don't like the new Eagle. The Eagle is one of the most classic spaceship designs in sci-fi history. One of the smartest things they did on the newer BSG series was to keep the Vipers looking for the most part as we remembered them. Sure, they changed the design (and made it much smaller) but it still had the classic look we all loved as kids.
    I lucked up this past weekend and found two of the die-cast 1/72 scale Eagles from Asia (the ones that are going for about 300 bucks on ePay, I paid a LOT less than that) and I showed one to my wife. Never having seen one before, even she agreed that if NASA brought that model out and said they'd be building full-sized ones and would be hopping around the Moon with it in ten years, it looked totally plausible even now.

42. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those extensions look like chicken wings. Like the Eagle´s got his wings scolded with hot water ... but let´s wait and see if it´s just the perspective that´s playing tricks ...

43. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Doubtless they'll throw out the one thing the series really did have going for it (apart from the Eagles): the 2001 influence, the sense of space being cold, terrifying, metaphysical etc. Even the sterility of the characters is in a way kind of 2001-like, though of course they're horribly ham-fisted next to Stanley's. Hard to imagine anyone in TV today taking any cues from the tone of 2001...

44. Hovito loincloth

Hovito loincloth Well-Known Member

Isn't that how the explosion originally happened? A huge electrostatic spark caused by the swishing of dangerously unearthed nylon flares? It was along time ago. Perhaps I misremember it.

45. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

Anyone have any updated info on this?

46. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

well, according to their website blog the latest from just a few weeks ago was that they are "still working on it" whatever that means... :D probably still trying to drum up money to get a pilot shot to sell it. :facepalm

47. shagger999uk

shagger999uk Well-Known Member

If I ever win the lottery this, Blake's Seven and Dan Dare's film rights would all be bought, funded and filmed and would all have Karen Gillan in. :)

48. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

Since I was a bit young when this was on, I thought the moon base was just the interior of an Eagle and they were always flying around in space.

Scott

49. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

the design of the eagle still holds up today. looks very much like something NASA would build. Liked the show very much when I was a kid... sometimes I get nostalgic for it... youtube helps with that. :popcorn

50. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

AGREED! That one scene scared the poopoo out of me! lol