Snipex Alligator

TazMan2000

Master Member
Initially, I've posted this project in Post pics of your own 3D creations (not purchased) , however, I've been working on it more and have decided to create a separate thread for it.

It's not a prop in any movie, yet, but it is a replica (3D printed) of the real firearm, and I'm hoping it will be an actual prop in some kind of movie, someday.

Designed mostly in TinkerCad, which I have enormous respect for what it can actually do, and it's accuracy for generating STLs, I have to start off with printing the receiver and bolt. I'm designing a 5 round magazine that will feed the fake rounds, and a bolt that will feed the rounds and, when retracted, will eject the rounds.
If this doesn't work, it may be relegated to be a static prop with few moving parts.

Here is a photo of what I'm working off of. 2 metres long.
Alligator.png

Pictured, is the partially assembled receiver, and, rounds for comparison, a .50 cal, 14.5x114 (Alligator) and a 20mm used in a Vulcan Cannon.
IMG_1181.jpg

The test round inserted into the breech.
IMG_1182.jpg

Still printing out the bolt. The magazine housing will take a full 24 hours, so I may do that on the weekend, so I can monitor it.

TazMan2000

Amongst other projects, I'm printing out the rest of the Alligator. Again, I'm amazed at how things go from design to 3D print as well as they do.

I haven't overcome the problem from loading printed rounds from the magazine into the breech. I'm thinking it's because my magazine receptacle lifted on both the front and back while printing. I tried straightening it out with a hair dryer, but while somewhat successful, it ended up "curving" both the front and back, so the magazine rounds don't quite go into the path of the bolt. I guess I will reprint the mag receptacle. I'm using a coat hanger as a makeshift mag spring. It's put together and loads exactly like a mag should.

The turnbuckle doohickey that raises the back of the rifle works like a charm. As like the real rifle, it comes apart in the middle and is held together with 2 socket head cap screws.

It kind of has a sci-fi look to it, doesn't it? Perhaps that's why I like the design. Still a few parts to print out...obviously.

Snipex Alligator5.jpg

TazMan2000

Totally Rad, Taz!!
A general question: Does printed resin have a habit of warping once while it's curing or is it pretty stable?

It does tend to warp a bit, but not as much as PLA on a successful print. I have successfully flattened out PLA prints that have warped, using a hair dryer. I haven't tried bending resin prints yet, so I don't know the effect, since it uses UV light to solidify. Casting resin can be also heated and bent as well, so I'm assuming that UV resin can become flexible when heat is applied.

Most of the warping I get from resin prints, is because the objects become detached from the supports.

TazMan2000

No. The UV already is about 70-90 percent cured by the time it's finished printing, depending on your UV settings. There is no way to fix it, unless you print your object again with beefier supports or changing your UV settings. When parts become detached from the supports, the printer doesn't know this and just keeps doing what it's programmed to do, so you can really get a distorted print. It's not noticeable so much with organic shapes, but something mechanical in nature, it's apparent.

TazMan2000

Apologies for the tape holding the rear section, but it will have to be painted separately and then glued on after the bolt gets inserted. The printed buttstock pad, scope/mount and picatinny rail still need to get glued on (Plus all the detail bits). Surprisingly, the handle forward of the magazine actually holds the weight of the weapon, however, it is a bit off balance since the real weapon is weighted differently.
IMG_1367.jpg

TazMan2000

Whooops! I just figured out the real reason the balance of the carry handle is rear heavy...I'm missing about 200mm of barrel. I guess I'll have to fix that. What a dumb move.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Immensely impressive Taz. Your skill set is complete. What's next on your hardware list.....ZF-1 or maybe a M56 Smart gun?

I have to get the skill of, 'Where am I going to store this stuff?' :rolleyes:

I am going to start printing the M240 machine gun after I get a few design elements out of the way.

TazMan200

Finishing up printing the last set of details like the scope on my Anycubic Mono X. Still a little bit of sanding left to do before the primer. Fixed the barrel length problem. A reminder that the real weapon is 2 metres long.

Screenshot 2022-08-28 101651.jpg
Snipex Full.jpg

TazMan2000

Attachments

• Snipex Full.jpg
    Snipex Full.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 40
The scope, so far. Most parts that are supposed to rotate, rotate. An exception is the eyepiece. The resin part for clipping to the picatinny rail was tapped to accommodate screws but ultimately wasn’t strong enough to function mechanically for too long so I will have to use nuts to secure it.

The scope ring mounts are tapped.

A271F2EE-5E00-4A28-B03B-81A47C59287B.jpeg

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Man, all of those weapons you've made could replace the real ones in a museum:cool::cool:(y)(y) You should contact War Museums to see if they could be interested. Sometimes, certain pieces are too fragile, or unique to display; yours could be a very nice plan B for an exhibition.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back