They are just brass rods telescoped together so they move when the wings move. Nothing special . I used some electrical connectors as the main support with the hole and bent some brass rod through two 180 degrees and put them through the holes.
They aren't super detailed but strong enough to hold the pistons in place and let ti all rotate. Once you remove the insulation it leaves a nice spigot which you can glue into where ever you drilled the hole. I find it works ok for a quick build. Detail the ends to make them look a bit better. Cheap and cheerful for the hasbro
So its been a while. Ive done a shed load more work on the refit and now its time for the painting stage.
Ive built a rudimentary cockpit and painted it greys and blacks with some weathering and a slight hit of green. It looks great. I may do more once the body has been done.
The guns were cut down, thinned out and the barrels replaced with some brass rod. The ends are some biro pen ends , rom the local bank, (at least i got something back for my savings !)
Some kitbashing and replacing panels on the body, smoothing the nose panel junctions and some other bits. It is shot in Tamia primer (light grey) ready for the first assault on the mental amount of time adding masking fluid for the first shot of colour.
so here it is before any colour (apart from the cockpit)
More done this last weekend. Nice to take a break and get something done on the Slave again.
So first hit with the paint.
Sketching out the main details on the panels before the weathering and layering take place.
I painted a tester on a hasbro jango beforehand to check the colours. I had seen the Slave 1 at an exhibition a couple of years ago and was blown away with the overall grey feel to the paint job. When seen in reference images only a few convey the really nice look of the model. So all colour references from other painters and such were thrown out the window and i have mixed these all on the fly to get the feel i remember. Also it is worth noting that there are at least another 5 passes of paint and colour to go, so this is just the starting point.
Heres the side
then onto the pink. Tricky colour to get right, but i think its pretty close. You can see the first layer of masking fluid to reveal the grey.
Next up, more masking fluid to reveal the pink, then shot with my custom red. Once dry, it was dotted with some bubble wrap moistened with some tamia thinners and allowed to dry to create a mottled look, then airbrushed with the grey basecoat to lighten the panels in line with the reference!!
Then rub it all off
Well most of it ;-)
repeat around the skirt
so thats it for a few days. I have 20 meters of fibre optics to fit into another job which will take a while.
Ill post more asap.
Its coming on a bit more after another day and a bit of work. Some areas need a bit more time spending on them, but you get the idea.
im pretty happy with the results so far. Now its time to sit and contemplate the next weathering and detailing passes.