Slave 1 Large Hasbro refit

Hi folks. More done today.
Ive been playing with the cockpit for a bit, I used the main toy interior and chopped it into two, built some new walls and just kitbashed stuff in there in a Mando kind of way.
SAM_4257.JPG

Also poured the first half of the saucer/dish mould.
SAM_4252.JPG

Nothing to see here :), i was very careful not to confuse this with my breakfast.
I cleaned up the moulds after removing the master patterns and did the first pour. Once out i could tell where to concentrate my efforts to poke out the bubbles. I dont have a pressure pot or a vacuum chamber so im working this as a true garage kit !!!! LOL.

Here are a couple of shots from the first pull.
SAM_4231.JPG

I was super happy with the finish on the Porsche arches. Uber smooth.
The main spine details had the potential to be really troublesome, but it came out easily good enough to use. A couple of air traps, but im happy with the result.
SAM_4234.JPG

SAM_4240.JPG

So knowing where the bubbles liked to be, i did another pull.
SAM_4242.JPG

SAM_4246.JPG

Now were getting somewhere :)
First pull on the left, second on the right.
SAM_4251.JPG

more to come soon.

More done on my surface upgrade.
Now i have some parts to mess with i decided to open up the baseplate to allow a view to the underneath area.
SAM_4284.JPG

I added greeblies in here and an old hacked up finemolds y wing i was given a few years back.
SAM_4283.JPG

Now adding the detail parts to get the finished look in my mind before painting the parts and assembling the base.
SAM_4286.JPG

SAM_4293.JPG

SAM_4294.JPG

All laid out and now im happy to attack it with some final greeblies and gun barrels then time to paint.
SAM_4300.JPG

From mention earlier on, the beastie looks to be pretty spot on for 1/48 scale from my determination, so good match for those other few models of similar ilk.
Great job fixing it up, man after my own dream for the two hulks in the 'to-do' pile, though those wings are giving me fits to replace the 'wobbly' toy bits. Keep up the challenge, sir!
Regards, Robert

Fantastic update; the paint job is getting where it should be (y) (y) :cool: :cool:
Cheers joberg, Yeah its coming on a bit now :)

Ive done more today, all parts now stuck down, I'm adding some more detail parts and getting them ready for casting.
Heres todays painting update. All other moulding stuff is now on my other interest thread.
Cheers folks. :)

More to come.

SAM_4346.JPG

From mention earlier on, the beastie looks to be pretty spot on for 1/48 scale from my determination, so good match for those other few models of similar ilk.
Great job fixing it up, man after my own dream for the two hulks in the 'to-do' pile, though those wings are giving me fits to replace the 'wobbly' toy bits. Keep up the challenge, sir!
Regards, Robert
Cheers Robert. I think i may live with the wings for the time being (the ones i have are pretty straight), although the main support leopold guns are a bit wonky. To try and sort that out im going to supply 4 resin cast versions of the guns, two for the lower greeblies, and two for chopping up and replacing the bendy plastic versions from the toy should you fancy a challenge. Ill do it first and see what happens :) , Ive done some surgery on them (like you do !) and concluded they need completely remaking to get them nicely sized and detailed. But thats going to be on my next slave 1 project, hopefully a SS version some time in the next couple of years.

Ok. I think i've done enough on this lower surface upgrade, now its time to get the top surface ready for paint. all the other paint details on the bottom will go on once the whole thing is painted to this point and ready for the final few weathering and sharpening up passes.

Its been a mission doing this upgrade, i know its not accurate by any stretch, but i am more than happy with its final look.
FYI I used parts straight from the moulds, no filler. I have done this to accurately show what the final finish is like without hours of sanding :). There are some small defects here and there, just being honest about it.

Hope you like it, i cant wait to get the wings and the top half sorted.
SAM_4351.JPG

SAM_4352.JPG

SAM_4354.JPG

I just thought of something to cover the screw heads. Paintable caulk in tube could be used to make removable/reusable plugs. Little bit of vasline dissolved in turpentine or just veg oil as a release agent, then apply with a toothpick... could even embed a small detail cap before cure to further disguise the plug.
R/ Robert

Small defects are often "happy accidents" in terms of fooling the eye into thinking something is real - when its "perfect" it doesn't look right :)

Its a favorite thing of mine to remember when weathering :)

Jedi Dade

I just thought of something to cover the screw heads. Paintable caulk in tube could be used to make removable/reusable plugs. Little bit of vasline dissolved in turpentine or just veg oil as a release agent, then apply with a toothpick... could even embed a small detail cap before cure to further disguise the plug.
R/ Robert
Nice idea. I don't think it would work for me though. Im going to fill and sand all holes flush. I tried something like your idea a while ago and you can never get them to truly disappear, instead of screws you have round plugs which are still visible. That doesn't mean to say it wont work though, im always seeing what people do, so please give it a go and get some pics :)

Small defects are often "happy accidents" in terms of fooling the eye into thinking something is real - when its "perfect" it doesn't look right :)

Its a favorite thing of mine to remember when weathering :)

Jedi Dade
Yep, thats the way i roll :) some things lend themselves well to a bit of weathering. :)

So heres where its at now. Kit complete, all greeblies cast and on their now.
Time for a break from this one for a little while and get to some other jobs which need doing.
Ill post more here as it happens. Kit parts updates are on the other thread for anyone who is interested in having one of these.
Just to show off a bit, here are all the parts it took to remake this base.
final kit assembly .JPG

And heres what it looks like next to the original base details
comparison 1.JPG

And a final all overall view of the base.
More soon folks.
slave 1 refit kit final.JPG

Hi Andy,

do you already have an idea which kit parts may suit to create new main Guns for the ship ?
...or will i have to do them completely scratch??

Hi Andy,

do you already have an idea which kit parts may suit to create new main Guns for the ship ?
...or will i have to do them completely scratch??
Ive been checking those out. I couldnt find anything close in my kit parts stash, so I will be remaking mine with brass rod and other bits. I removed the guns, split them down the seam and shaved down the two halfs of the gun mouldings so they werent so fat and oversized, then cut off all the barrel details. Ill insert whatever i make into these modified bits. Ill get pics at some stage.

I think I read somewhere that part of the main guns were from a flakvierling, but not sure whether there is a kit available in the correct scale.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back