Skull's Custom Predator Design

FFW to juli 2011: finally sourced some silicone and some PU rubber for the parts, bought a case of clay and some plaster for support.
Waiting for the mixing containers, gloves etc. to come in, but figured I DID want the thighpad to be pre-curved when in PU (will most likely do some latex ones as well.

Heated up the pad again and started curving by gravity, way too fast, once more. The sculpt tore over the vertical axis, so I had to fix all that. Did a quick-fix, redid some of the sculpted texture and damage, but man, I want this cast asap so I can focus on other stuff SOON :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that clear in this picture, but the upper left has some serious corroding now, thought it was better to make it a little more a-symetrical (then again, you'd wear a set...)

Just got my gear in, perhaps tonight a beauty coat, otherwise tomorrowmorning :) Meanwhile started at my take on Rumpelstiltskin in the new Chavant.

Thanks for the kind words!

Bo'Skarr:

The spear/glaive won't be collapsible, but it is a permanently bladed weapon. Still a LONG way from doing that one though :D

The influence I mentioned for the backpack is a, wait for it, robot I've seen in a book on drawing robot's by Keith Thompson, I just REALLY liked the arc of it's back, so I kinda borrowed that and build the backpack around the arc.

looks a bit like a mechanical version of a prawn from district 9 , your armors looking very good so far (y)

It does, now you say it. Love that art book though, and I love fookin' prawns!

I just hope the silicone took all the details right, it's still curing as we speak. seems nice and strong, but the next time, I think I'll make a matrix mold for ease's sake. Spending a day coating a small piece of armor just isn't working when you live in a smallish apartment without work space :D

love the look of the armour, it has a very predish look to it, but also a REALLY nice twist, which i REALLY like. i hope you continue the build with the same level of detail.

looking forward to seeing the 1st armour peice painted.

Tin-based silicone. Turns out the silicone couldve easily been brushed upon the clay, fortunately for the chestpiece. Thigh won't be as crisp when it come to surface detail due to the clear acrylic coat, but most detail will still be there (pits, dents, scratches. Next up: plastering the thing, wont have time till tomorrow, so first pics of the inside of the mold on friday...

Mold done, jacket/shell done, on to cleaning the acrylic residue (and as it turns out, didn't need to spray anyway, so direct pour for the chest) and small bits of clay still there. Back-half will most likely be cast in plaster only to save time and materials.

Looks awesome man, I like how simple your molds are. Mine is way overdone!

Well Mike, I think I go for matrix molds next time, way more control over the shape and handling. This being my first sculpt that I actually finished and molded, the mold itself is more of a prototype than anything else, LOL. Might redo the sculpt some time with a nice clay-press out of this one, but first things first: doing the back half and block-molding the chestpiece.

Well Mike, I think I go for matrix molds next time, way more control over the shape and handling. This being my first sculpt that I actually finished and molded, the mold itself is more of a prototype than anything else, LOL. Might redo the sculpt some time with a nice clay-press out of this one, but first things first: doing the back half and block-molding the chestpiece.

Matrix molds when its all done it can be very nice. But its a pain in the arse to make really because even a 1 sided mold need to be sealed after you make your clay mold
which all take a loooooooooooooooooooong time. I'm really getting sick of matrix molds. It drains the life from you these damn things...ok no time to talk now
a Facehugger just attached itself to my dogs face need to deal with this...

819b89b3jw1dja1zcehocj.jpg

update time:
Still have to do the backside of the mold for the thighpads, but had some stuff inbetween, like a holiday in Spain (Madrid, Jaen, Granada, hot but lovely), but I have some sketches done.

Codpiece consisting of a "Tribe Deco" metal fitting holding a replica sacrum bone.

Shin-armor or greeve, this one is front only like the Wolf, but I'd make this modular probably anyway.

Another Thighpad

Another Thighpad

Did some other stuff too for a LARP/Street Theatre costume, will post them elsewhere.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back