Show your Dr. Who props!

Here's my River Song's squareness gun I recently completed for a friend.

IMG_3788.jpgIMG_3785.jpgIMG_3784.jpg

Talking of the DE 2nd Dr Sonic. I wish someone would do a YouTube review of it. I am curious to see it in action! Failing that you could always pick up a life jacket whistle for that gap in your collection. Quite easy to find on ebay!

The Second Doctor's era really doesn't have enough source material to get exact information from the props used but thanks to members of this forum and surviving stills of "Fury from the Deep" we do know that The Acme City whistle was used. As for "The Dominators" and "The War Games", the best we can do is find a close match. For "The War Games", again thanks to members of the forum, an Every Ready penlight was found to be a good match. That coupled with Frazer Hines' memories of the handle being blue, the Every Ready seems an even better match. However, "The Dominators" has no information but thanks to a couple close ups we can make a reasonable replica, which I have done along with the help of 13DoctorWho. We can only hope that one day "Fury from the Deep" is recovered or that more behind the scenes photos surface from all three stories for more information. Until then, I'm very happy with my Second Doctor Sonic Screwdriver collection.

1) Fury from the Deep - The Acme City Life Preserver Whistle
2) The Dominators - Various penlight parts that I assembled to match the screen used prop and a 3D printed handle by13DoctorWho
3) The War Games - The Dark Energy Creations replica of the Ever Ready Penlight

Troughton Sonics.jpg

Last edited:
The Second Doctor's era really doesn't have enough source material to get exact information from the props used but thanks to members of this forum and surviving stills of "Fury from the Deep" we do know that The Acme City whistle was used. As for "The Dominators" and "The War Games", the best we can do is find a close match. For "The War Games", again thanks to members of the forum, an Every Ready penlight was found to be a good match. That coupled with Frazer Hines' memories of the handle being blue, the Every Ready seems an even better match. However, "The Dominators" has no information but thanks to a couple close ups we can make a reasonable replica, which I have done along with the help of 13DoctorWho. We can only hope that one day "Fury from the Deep" is recovered or that more behind the scenes photos surface from all three stories for more information. Until then, I'm very happy with my Second Doctor Sonic Screwdriver collection.

1) Fury from the Deep - The Acme City Life Preserver Whistle
2) The Dominators - Various penlight parts that I assembled to match the screen used prop and a 3D printed handle by13DoctorWho
3) The War Games - The Dark Energy Creations replica of the Ever Ready Penlight

View attachment 674625

Very good collection there I have 2 out I three :). Yep, lij your Penlight for Dominators Sonic. I wonder what it really was. As for the handle, isn't it funny I saw something very different. More curved and only 1 section! I'm gonna look again!

13DoctorWho felt it was one section as well but I see two in the shots. Plus two makes sense with the way that he holds it with his index finger like a trigger. If he rests the penlight between his index finder and thumb and then hold the handle, it will slide right out of his hand, but the section section gives him a proper grip. It could be just one leg but I copied what I saw. I'd really like to see some behind the scenes pics if they exist.

These two pics will give you an idea of what I am seeing.

0x044-The-Dominators-04.png0x044-The-Dominators-04-edited.png

Admittedly, I do feel that the design of the front leg may have a lip to it but this is the first 3D printing, I may adjust it later. Interestingly, in this shot, the handle isn't used at all.

0x044-The-Dominators-09.png

Ah I see it now, funny what you don't see. I thought it was one piece. ‎Yeah yours prob does need to be rounder, but looks great.*

Any chance of seeing the pen torch and what you did. The clip with the bobble on really adds to the look. Very good replica. You have a great eye for detail.

Sorry, I saw this post so late! Yeah, I can get some pics of the penlight and clip etc. The only thing I don't know know is the make of the penlight. I've had it for a few years now just waiting for this project but it was one of three I had set aside. It was just a cheap penlight though, is be surprised if they weren't still made.

13DoctorWho was planning on making his own 3D printed parts for that as well.

Ah I'm glad it's a real penlight. I think I misread misread your original post said it was was composite of sev penlights. The clip look spot on, just like the original in the episode. Good find!

It's a composite of two penlights, but the one part is tiny, and a pocket clip from a fountain pen. I tried to find pictures I've already taken but the only one I had didn't show the pocket clip so I have to take pictures for you when I get a moment or two from work.

The Second Doctor's era really doesn't have enough source material to get exact information from the props used but thanks to members of this forum and surviving stills of "Fury from the Deep" we do know that The Acme City whistle was used.

View attachment 674625

Is this certain or speculation...? I find it very hard to believe that even the cash-strapped BBC would use such an item as a prop. Especially as other photos clearly show the whistle stiil attached to both Victoria and Jamie's life jackets. Also, one photo, of the Doctor with the open metal box in front of him, clearly shows him holding a dark cylinder with a silver tip in his hand.... that looks a lot more sonic-screwdrivery to me...

Yep it's real. Go to the two 'Sonics for 2nd Dr' *thread started by Mooneye63 way back before I joined.*http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=179221

‎There you'll see better members than I & all with track records of hunting down these oddities talking about it. There you will see all the evidence you need, it's even *backed up by a telesnap that shows the tip of the whistle hovering over a screw!

The picture you are referring to is a posed publicity picture with Pat holding a normal Screwdriver. As I say, it's all there read other whole thread from top to bottom, it's *a fascinating read‎... and find! :)*

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back